Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Paul Tergat! Darn that's fast!
Quote | Reply
2h04'55'' at Berlin Marathon, new world best performance over the distance...
Quote Reply
Re: Paul Tergat! Darn that's fast! [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And to think that he probably started out slow! Totally unbelievable. Will Khalid be able to respond? Will any American?

Quote Reply
Re: Paul Tergat! Darn that's fast! [haennp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, you forget to mention that he also went off course for a few meters...!
Quote Reply
Re: Paul Tergat! Darn that's fast! [haennp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And to think that he probably started out slow! Totally unbelievable. Will Khalid be able to respond? Possibly. Will any American? You're kidding, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Paul Tergat! Darn that's fast! [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nevermind. I just remembered that Khalid Khannouchi is a US citizen now.
Quote Reply
Re: Paul Tergat! Darn that's fast! [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
currently only 3 guys may be able to break this.
KK
HG
and Kochir who finished in 2h4'56'' behind Tergat today in Berlin.
4 if you count tergat himself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two words: 4:46 pace.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then a little further down the finish list, for your over-40 folks, there was Andrés Espinosa of Mexico in 2:08:46, new master's WR by a couple of minutes.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are only 4 we know of . . . who knows how many may be on the cusp of this in Eastern Africa. Americans are still trying to come up with people to break 2:10, "most" others are well beyond this thinking. I'm guessing that we (US) don't have 5 people that can run the 1/2 marathon split of Tergat's marathon.

Just an amazing run . . . what's next. I remember that record stood from ~1988 (2:06.50) for a long time and now it is just comnig down every year. However, the 10K and 5K did this for some time but has leveled off for the last few years also.
Quote Reply
Re: Paul Tergat! Darn that's fast! [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
even though Gebreselassie was pretty darn close at Brussels meet. think he missed by 5'' or so.

not sure if anyone noticed that Paula Radcliffe took a nice chunk of time of the WB over the half marathon (last week I believe)...
what is amazing is that 65' is probably not even close to what she can really do.
Her marathon times suggest a 62'40''...as usually the curve fits 2xtimes of half + 10' = marathon time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At South Shields on 21/9/03 she ran 65.40 and took 4 secs off Chepkemei's record set April 2001. Her 10 mile split was 50.01 (an uncertified world best). She also holds the World Records (road) for 5 km (14.51) and 10km (30.21), both set this year. The pace at which she ran all these makes her marathon world record time (2.15.25) seem all the more amazing, as it's only 3% slower pace than her 1/2M pace. Do you think she can really shave another 2 - 3 mins off her 1/2M record or is she just Supergirl at the marathon?

Whatever the answer, I love watching her run.

Put the bunny back in the box.
Quote Reply
Re: Paul Tergat! Darn that's fast! [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The scarey thing is that's probably the pace that he did many of his longer race pace runs at. These guys just don't jump out there on race day and magically shift into gear and lock in on the pace, they spend a considerable amounbt of training time at that pace.

A common comment from many of the Kenyan/Ethiopean runners after they break a World Record/World Best is, "That was easier than the training"!!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But was the course legit?? Did the get out the wheel?!?! :D

Craig
Quote Reply
I disagree... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that only 3-4 guys can run this fast. Heck, Sammy Korir PR'd by 3:30 to finish a second behind Tergat. Who's to say that others couldn't jump from 2:08 to 2:05? The guy in 4th was Titus Munji in 2:06:15, which is only about 3 seconds per mile slower than Tergat.

Zeke

Quote Reply