Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Passion of the christ?
Quote | Reply
has anyone seen the movie?
Just saw it to relax and I guess it was the least relaxing movie I have ever seen...
Probably the most violent ever as well. Saw Dawn of the dead last week and was laughing quite a bit, but Passion of the christ was hard to watch...

Now my thoughts are
1. people have learnt nothing in 2000 years
2. there is no much hope for humanity considering what we have learnt in 2000 years...
Quote Reply
Re: Passion of the christ? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow.

that was the only thing i could say after watching that movie.

i still cannot put into words the feelings i had during watching it...

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Read the book [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Not sure I need to see the movie. Mel sure hit a home run with the gross at the boxoffice. G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the hardest part to watch was him suffering then Mary's face. Just seeing her face made it that much harder to watch.

It was tough to watch to say the least, definitely not a popcorn movie.
Quote Reply
Passion of the Christ? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen the movie, but I read the book.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I was going to see it until I got an email back from my best friend whose opinion I usually share on movies and he didn't like it at all.

So do you guys think it's worth seeing? I can't imagine it being more uncomfortable to watch than Requiem for a Dream(which I loved btw).

What about Mystic River? He gave high marks to that one. I haven't seen a movie in a while and I'm looking for suggestions.
Last edited by: jaylew: Mar 29, 04 0:32
Quote Reply
Re: Passion of the Christ? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, I read the book too. In fact, I the movie wasn't as good as the book (as my pastor so wittily states) but just the same, I thought there were some good points about the movie, albeit fairly gory. However much of the gore I think was fairly accurate. All in all, I thought it was worth watching and probably got a lot of people thinking about religious things, which is a lot these days.

berndog
How did we all get sucked into this crazy sport anyway?!!
Last edited by: berndog: Mar 28, 04 22:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't seen it, not going too. I don't handle violence very well. I won't watch Shindler's List either. I understand that these are both important stories, but I need to sleep at night.

What I don't understand is the, (to me), high degree sensitivity to the portrayal of Jews in the movie. It seems to me, (and this is a gross generalization), that if you show a movie where many Jews get killed, it will likely be labelled as anti-semitic. If you show a movie where many Jews do the killing, it will be likely labelled as anti-semitic.

I'm very lucky in that I've never been on the receiving end of targeted hate. I really don't understand the mindset of the haters, or the pain of the victims. But in all of the debate in print and on the radio or TeeVee, I have yet to hear anyone who felt that the portrayel of Jews in TPOTC was negative, give any constructive guidance on how the Jews could be portrayed in a more positive light, and still tell the same story. I have not yet heard any critic who condemns the percieved anti-semitic tone of the movie suggest that the movie is factually/historically incorrect. I can't resolve this in my mind. Legally speaking, is truth not a complete defense against slander/libel?

Whether or not TPOTC is considered fiction or a documentary is irrellevent to me. It's probably an important movie in that it is causing many people to question/discuss/profess their faith.

If more people would just live their faith.......(sigh)........

Paul M
Quote Reply
Re: Passion of the Christ? [berndog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you are laughing about the book but it was the "advertisement" chosen by a NY Bookseller just after the release of the 10 Commandements in the 50s I believe (or maybe early 60s)...

"You've seen the movie, Read the Book!"

to sell more bibles...

Agreed with Jaylew that requiem for a dream was hard to watch too...can't believe anyone would do drugs after seeing that movie.
Quote Reply
Re: Passion of the Christ? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saw the movie "Thirteen" ... it's amazing and uncomfortable. sort of like a "requiem, the wonder years" ... a very very good movie with wonderful performances that leaves you upset and yet sympathetic with everyone in the movie .... four *'s

Also, watched "Eternal Sunshine ..." on saturday (new Charlie Kaufman movie) ... really incredible. Far more bleak than i could have imagined ... tremendous performance by Jim Carrey ... a little difficult to follow but an utter revelation on the evolution of interpersonal relationships and changes in perspective through time, and a bit of a trippy concept (as to be expected) ... wow.
Quote Reply
Re: Passion of the Christ? [TomAnnapolis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, and if you like Requiem, see Pi ... it's Darren Aronofsky's first movie ... it's in B&W and is an utter mind-screw if you stick with it and figure it out ... one of my all time fav's.
Quote Reply
Re: Passion of the Christ? [TomAnnapolis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
talking about great movies, I recently saw "crossroads" with Britney and...nah!!!! I am just kidding...saw 1' of it on HBO...and my reaction was "what the hell is that???"
Quote Reply
Re: Passion of the christ? [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mystic River was not bad. Wanna see something really good? "City of God."--not about religion at all, but about slum life, the drug trade, and real existence outside of Rio (in Brazil). Lots of running (from cops, bad guys, etc.) and a great movie: entertaining, pretty hopeful, and quite realistic based on my travels...

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Your reactions (people have learnt nothing in 'x' years; there is not much hope for humanity) to Mel's Passion beating-fest were almost identical to mine after I saw another film a while ago--'The Pianist'.

But THAT film about good, evil, and plain survival was stunning, appalling, and a great work of Art--most highly recommended.

Where would you want to swim ?
Last edited by: Greg/ORD: Mar 29, 04 5:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois,

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING??????? You thought this movie was going to be relaxing? We need to talk.

I share the opinion of someone else in the thread (don't remember the name, maybe Paul M) I need to sleep.

I got one 15 second shot of the devil in The Passion on 20/20, and I didn't sleep for two nights. No thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
has anyone seen the movie?
Just saw it to relax and I guess it was the least relaxing movie I have ever seen...
Probably the most violent ever as well. Saw Dawn of the dead last week and was laughing quite a bit, but Passion of the christ was hard to watch...

Now my thoughts are
1. people have learnt nothing in 2000 years
2. there is no much hope for humanity considering what we have learnt in 2000 years...

Relax? Come on dude, I know you're not that oblivious. I saw this post and immediately grinned and thought, "Oh sh#t, Francois' looking to spark it up again." Love it when ya do. Always makes for great entertainment.

p.s. thanks for the reply on my semi-camp post. Hope your recovery went well and the training worked in your favor.

Keith
Quote Reply
Re: Passion of the christ? [paul m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

In Reply To:
But in all of the debate in print and on the radio or TeeVee, I have yet to hear anyone who felt that the portrayel of Jews in TPOTC was negative, give any constructive guidance on how the Jews could be portrayed in a more positive light, and still tell the same story. I have not yet heard any critic who condemns the percieved anti-semitic tone of the movie suggest that the movie is factually/historically incorrect.

From William Safire, the conservative columnist for the NYTimes:

"What villain deserves to be punished?

Not Pontius Pilate, the Roman in charge; he and his kindly wife are sympathetic characters. Nor is King Herod shown to be at fault.

The villains at whom the audience's outrage is directed are the actors playing bloodthirsty rabbis and their rabid Jewish followers. This is the essence of the medieval "passion play," preserved in pre-Hitler Germany at Oberammergau, a source of the hatred of all Jews as "Christ killers." "

And Frank Rich, also of the NYTimes:

"There is no question that it rewrites history by making Caiaphas and the other high priests the prime instigators of Jesus' death while softening Pontius Pilate, an infamous Roman thug, into a reluctant and somewhat conscience-stricken executioner. "The more benign Pilate appears in the movie, the more malignant the Jews are," is how Elaine Pagels describes Mr. Gibson's modus operandi in The New Yorker this week. As if that weren't enough, the Jewish high priests are also depicted as grim sadists with bad noses and teeth — Shylocks and Fagins from 19th-century stock. (The only Jew with a pretty nose in this Judea is Jesus.)"

And from a panel of religious leaders who discussed the movie (again, the NYTimes):

"Mr. Gibson has depicted his film as a true recounting of the last 12 hours of Jesus' life. But the Christian and Jewish clergy at the table were troubled by embellishments that they said had no basis in Scripture.

Among them: Jesus is taken to the temple to be condemned by the priests. A raven plucks out the eye of the thief being crucified on the cross next to Jesus. And the wife of Pontius Pilate brings a pile of fresh linens to Mary to wipe Jesus' blood from the ground after he is whipped by sadistic Roman soldiers. The group agreed that the gesture underscored the film's sympathetic treatment of a Roman governor so brutal he was eventually recalled from his post.

The Very Rev. Demetri C. Kantzavelos, chancellor of the Greek Orthodox Diocese of Chicago, was disturbed that the actors speak Latin, and not Greek, the lingua franca. Inaccuracies like these, he said, undermine Mr. Gibson's claims to authenticity.

"I came predisposed to like it," Father Kantzavelos said. "I really wanted to like the movie, and I don't." "

Full text of this panel discussion is at http://www.nytimes.com/...cca0dcb7&ei=5070

Now you have.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Last edited by: klehner: Mar 29, 04 7:42
Quote Reply
Re: Passion of the christ? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, all of the people you quote have totally missed the point. Not the point of the movie, but the point of Christ himself. Jesus chose to die for us. No one made that happen. The Jews were a tool that Christ used to effect an outcome, but to suggest that they were actually the cause of His death is absurd.
Quote Reply
Re: Passion of the christ? [Matt Boutte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The point *I* was responding to was that there weren't any critics saying what I pasted, thus refuting the point made.

Here's a list of some of those at the panel discussion. Amazing that they could find such a cross-section of religious leaders who all missed the point.

Rev. Robert H. Oldershaw, pastor of St. Nicholas Roman Catholic Church

The Rev. Philip L. Blackwell, senior pastor at First United Methodist Church

Emily D. Soloff, executive director of the Chicago chapter of the American Jewish Committee

Rabbi David F. Sandmel of KAM Isaiah Israel Congregation in Chicago. He is also a professor of Jewish studies at Catholic Theological Union

The Very Rev. Demetri C. Kantzavelos, chancellor of the Greek Orthodox Diocese of Chicago

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't see it. I don't need to see that.

I understand the concept that there are individuals who have suffered and died for us. It happens every single day of every week- in the most horrible ways imaginable.

It is an extraordinary phenomenon- an amazing feature of human nature. Consider the case of the two Army Delta operators Shugard and Gordon, who sacrificed their lives to save a downed Army helicopter pilot.

And as for what Francois says- "We haven't learned anything in 2000 years"

That further confirms how observant and intelligent Francois is. He's right. And it will never change.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Passion of the christ? [Matt Boutte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you Matt, The whole point is Jesus died for ALL of us regardless of who we are, what we look like, etc..... What's great is the invitation is still open all we have to do is confess and accept.
Quote Reply
Re: Passion of the christ? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I realize that you were quoting others. I wasn't necessarily responding to your personal thoughts.

I agree. It's amazing that given the resumes of the people you cited, that they could so totally miss the point, but they have. Clergy or not, were all human and therefore susceptible to error, fallicy, pride, greed, ignorance, etc. In my opinion, to focus on the actions of anyone in TPOTC, or in much of the New Testament for that matter, is to de-emphasize Christ.
Quote Reply
Re: Passion of the christ? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I didn't see it. I don't need to see that."

My feelings exactly. As someone who grew up and is still a practicing Roman Catholic, I have read and heard the story numerous times. No need to see a movie to understand it. But--my wife wants to go and so I will probably go with her.

I felt the same way about "Saving Private Ryan." I didn't understand the big to do. As a former Marine, even though I did not see combat, I knew enough about it and had enough friends who did it to know that it is a horrific thing. I did not have to go to a movie to get such an epiphany.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you all read about the guy in Houston who killed his wife and made it look like suicide. The coronor haad ruled it a suicide....case closed. The guy watches Passion and turns himself in. No joke. Can't find the news url.
Quote Reply
Re: Passion of the christ? [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another example of a person who gave up their life for others- a great hero of mine:

Martin Luther King.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next