Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Park Race Stand (PRS-5)
Quote | Reply
I just bought one and have to say that it is an awesome product. If you ever do any work on your bike (even cleaning and lubing counts) then I highly recommend buying a workstand.
The PRS-5 is really sweet. It's well made, folds up into its own bag (about 3 feet long), and is really smooth and adjustable.

If you have ever had you bike fall over while working on it (I get so bummed when that happens) you'll appreciate having a nice stand.

I really dig it. Definately worth the $$.

:-)

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Park Race Stand (PRS-5) [aduncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have owned one for a few years, and after working on professional stands also, I can say it is wobbly as crap. The fold out legs just are not sturdy. There are some newer stands that are much more sturdy. If I used a stand enough to justify it, I would replace my PRS-5 with a tripod style folding stand, such as the Ultimate or Wrench Force. The Parks do have the nicer clamps, however.

Of course any stand is better than none.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Park Race Stand (PRS-5) [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. It is wobbly, but the clamp rules. When I finally get out of an apartment and into a house with a garage or a room I can use as a shop, I'll get a "real" pro stand with a base that weighs a ton. I do like the PRS-5 though.
Quote Reply
Home made bike stand [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After looking at all of the $100 bike stands, I decided to improvise. I went to the hardware store and bought two 14" lenghts of 2" galvanized pipe, along with two bases for them to screw into. I screwed the bases into the wall lf my garage (about 14 inches apart), then screwed the pipes into the bases (so I had two pipes sticking out from the wall of the garage). Then I attached heavy duty hand clamps (like carpenters use to hold boards together while the glue is drying) to the ends of the pipes with those metal band clamps that tighten with a screwdriver (like the ones that attach the rubber hose to the radiator in your car).

Works great, and it cost less than $10.00, which is about all I had left after my $6,000 custom built titanium Seven Axiom that is currently clamped into the stand...
Quote Reply
Re: Home made bike stand [keyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are definately right about the wobble, though I haven't found it too annoying yet. I was able to tune the gears with no real trouble from wobble. I can forsee a bit of a problem with the PRS-5 when you really need to gorilla tighten/loosen something. But, for those of us in apartments the foldability is key. It's also nice to know you can throw it in the car and take it to races easily.

It's one of those things where you don't really have a chance to 'test ride' a workstand. You just have to close your eyes and hope you get something good.

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply