Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pain in the gut...
Quote | Reply
I was doing a brick yesterday, and something went terribly wrong on the run.

I started with 90 minutes of very hard riding - a few sprints on the flats, and some pretty decent climbing - then transitioned to a 30 minute run - medium to low intensity.

On the run, my abs were cramping pretty much the whole time. I tried diaphram breathing, but it wasn't getting me anywhere. Anyone have any tricks for this? Should I pay more attention to nutrition on bricks like this? Input appreciated.

JA
Quote Reply
Re: Pain in the gut... [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had that happen once, and it ended up being a hernia. I now have a nice kevlar patch and some stainless steel screws.

There's not enough in your post to see if your symptoms are similar, although "terribly wrong" is a description I would have chosen. I had a searing pain in my lower ab when I took the first few steps when transitioning to the run on a brick. Only a few days after a hard race with no indications of problems.

The hernia was really tough to agree on. No bulge, and running after biking was about the only thing that made it really hurt. Maybe yours is nutrition as you suggest, but be careful.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JohnA, I had that EXACT same thing happen to me last Saturday. A 50 mile hard ride in the wind followed by an attempted/aborted run due to stomach cramping. On the bike, I only drank one bottle of water, and had nothing to eat. My guess is that if I had eaten something or drank more or drank some replacement drink I might have been OK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I was doing a brick yesterday, and something went terribly wrong on the run.

I started with 90 minutes of very hard riding - a few sprints on the flats, and some pretty decent climbing - then transitioned to a 30 minute run - medium to low intensity.

On the run, my abs were cramping pretty much the whole time. I tried diaphram breathing, but it wasn't getting me anywhere. Anyone have any tricks for this? Should I pay more attention to nutrition on bricks like this? Input appreciated.

JA

Check your water bottles. I'm serious. I failed to adequately rinse the soap residue out of my bottles the night before a race. I didn't notice a funny taste during the ride. I was working hard into one of those headwinds that gets you on both the out and back. I started the run and starded getting sick to my stomach. Cramps, distention, the whole lot. I suffered through the run, getting slower and slower each mile. I crossed the finish line, grabbed a couple of bottled waters they were handing out and started to feel better. The next day, I took a swig from one of my water bottles and gagged. I opened it up to see a rainbow of colors inside.

Just a thought.

Brett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John,

The same thing happened to me last week. I was doing a hard hill run when I had to stop because the cramps were so bad I couldn't breathe. My problem was that I decided to run with a water bottle and sucked in a bunch of air when I was drinking. At the time I did it my breathing was very labored and I was still trying to drink. It didn't happen immediately, but maybe 5 or so minutes after I drank. I walked for a few minutes to recover then started to run again and I suddenly (burped) and felt almost instantly better.

Possibly when you were working hard on the bike and drinking you may have pulled in a large amount of air causing cramps similar to what I had. Just a thought...hope it helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great posts so far. I am constantly battling cramping mostly on the run after a bike but sometimes even while on the bike. It usually happens when the weather is warm-hot and I think it is caused by too much sugar related products or protein (GU, Gatorade, Accelerade). I tried GPush #2 last weekend on a 3:30 brick and it was great. No problems at all.
Quote Reply