Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pain & Pedaling form?
Quote | Reply
I've had this weird nagging pain off and on for the last couple years when cycling, but now it's getting worse. It is behind my right knee the outer tendon (Biceps Femoris connection). This normally doesn't impact my riding at all and is normally only a subtle ache on longer or harder rides, it typically goes away after cycling and I've always considered it a minor nuicance. However, now that I'm riding 5hours + in my IM prep, it is hurting more and for the first time is causing me pain off the bike as well. Since it's only the right leg, I suspect that it may have something to do with my pedaling form or some movement of my right foot combined with the free float of my speedplay pedals. I have the same issue on both my steep and slack bikes, so I don't think seat angle is the problem.

I'm doing good old RICE & advil after rides and if it persists or gets worse, I'll see a Dr., but I really think this is a symptom of something in my set-up or form that can be corrected.

Has anyone encountered this or do you know what might be the issue? Should I try a different pedal, seat height or pay attention to my form in some way?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Barry
Quote Reply
Re: Pain & Pedaling form? [Barry K.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This does seem to be a common affliction and I've read previous posts with excellent advice on stretches and rehab.

I experience the same problem chronically and here's what makes a huge difference for me. Saddle height is the single biggest factor for me. By raising my saddle as high as I can but shy of having to totally point my foot at the bottom, I can all but eliminate the problem. It's a night and day difference.

Something else that's helped is having a lot of FREE float in my pedals. In fact, I use Speedplay Frogs, the mountain bike version, as they offer a ton of urestricted float.

Lastly, I've experimented with pedal extenders that effectively increase the Q factor making my feet wider apart. Lightning Cycles sells them as does Knee Savers. This seems to help a little, but not as much as the previous things.

I'd experiments with saddle height before anything else.

Good luck and let us know what winds up working for you.

ashayk
Quote Reply
Re: Pain & Pedaling form? [ashayk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Ashayk, I'll give that a try. In fact, my saddle is slightly lower than it used to be, so maybe that has contributed to the increased pain on longer rides.
Quote Reply