Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pain Cave Features
Quote | Reply
Good afternoon.

My family, and I are preparing to move into our new home, so I am putting together my pain cave. Does anyone have any suggestions?

What type of hardware for powering Zwift - laptop, Apple TV, iPad, etc.?

What type of flooring? Right now it’s cold concrete slab.

I live in Indianapolis, the winters can be uncomfortable. It’s the 3rd slot of a 3 car garage. Recommendations for heating? I looked into a split, but it’s not feasible.

Current features:

Wahoo Kickr
Wahoo Climb
Woodway 4Front
Hoist V1 with leg press option, barbells, and bands for strength
Wahoo trainer table
Wahoo fan
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Features [Tmontgomery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tmontgomery wrote:
Good afternoon.

My family, and I are preparing to move into our new home, so I am putting together my pain cave. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I live in Indianapolis, the winters can be uncomfortable. It’s the 3rd slot of a 3 car garage. Recommendations for heating? I looked into a split, but it’s not feasible.

Current features:

Wahoo Kickr
Wahoo Climb
Woodway 4Front
Wahoo trainer table
Wahoo fan

If you can swing it, I’d recommend a dedicated mini -PC with a good graphics card and a largish TV (or even a projector, run Zwift life size!! ) rather than a laptop. Saves you the wear and tear on a laptops HDMI port.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Features [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the response. I was fortunate enough to pick up a 43” 4K, and a mobile stand that will allow it to be raised, lowered, and moved based on activity. I would have never thought about the stand had I not seen a Wahoo demo in the LBS. it was relatively inexpensive- 150.

https://www.bestbuy.com/...2900.p?skuId=5022900

I know a little less than nothing about computer features. Do you know what I would need, e.g., memory, processor, graphics, etc.?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any budget pc labeled as a “gaming pc” will do. Gaming pc’s will have a video card.

People underestimate how great zwift looks on ultra graphics settings (not the menu ultra setting). Most people are on very low settings for on their crappy ipads and such

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be helpful if we knew what your budget is, and how tech savy are you, do you like some music while exercising, watch Netflix while pedaling around watopia? For ultimate Zwift it hard to beat a PC and a large screen TV, A powerful Laptop can be used for other things around the home, I use a google home for controling music and podcasts while I zwift maybe either a hifi or bluetooth speaker or soundbar. are you a Apple lover Amazon , or google user? A video projector can throw a large image but can be hard to avoid you shadow being on the screen.
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Features [mikemelbrooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a guide that should help, https://zwiftinsider.com/zwift-pc-guide/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mikemelbrooks wrote:
It would be helpful if we knew what your budget is, and how tech savy are you, do you like some music while exercising, watch Netflix while pedaling around watopia? For ultimate Zwift it hard to beat a PC and a large screen TV, A powerful Laptop can be used for other things around the home, I use a google home for controling music and podcasts while I zwift maybe either a hifi or bluetooth speaker or soundbar. are you a Apple lover Amazon , or google user? A video projector can throw a large image but can be hard to avoid you shadow being on the screen.

Video projector can be ceiling mounted to the side , ie not centred on the wall / screen, then use the projector controls to square the image. That way you avoid casting a shadow

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mikemelbrooks wrote:

1) nothing beats having a dedicated zwift PC that's always ready to go. And can be crazy cheap - there are several other threads on this, mine is a second hand off lease mini desktop with a $100 graphics card that powers a TV and a monitor and runs zwift / streams TV.

2) Projectors produce heat, the very last thing you want in a pain cave.

For me key thing is remote controls for everything - lights, fans, TVs so that when you're doing long workouts you don't need to get off to faff. Oh, and N+2 is the right number for fans.

As for flooring - don't scrimp, get the heavy rubber mats that they use in gyms Not that expensive and it's permanent, everything else is a consumable.

Odd leftfield things for me - a shelf for putting food / bottles remotes when zwifting. A charge station for phones, garmins, etc etc. Towel dry racks.

Although it's not something that bothers me, mini fridge wouldn't be daftest thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Features [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
mikemelbrooks wrote:

1) nothing beats having a dedicated zwift PC that's always ready to go. And can be crazy cheap - there are several other threads on this, mine is a second hand off lease mini desktop with a $100 graphics card that powers a TV and a monitor and runs zwift / streams TV.

2) Projectors produce heat, the very last thing you want in a pain cave.

For me key thing is remote controls for everything - lights, fans, TVs so that when you're doing long workouts you don't need to get off to faff. Oh, and N+2 is the right number for fans.

As for flooring - don't scrimp, get the heavy rubber mats that they use in gyms Not that expensive and it's permanent, everything else is a consumable.

Odd leftfield things for me - a shelf for putting food / bottles remotes when zwifting. A charge station for phones, garmins, etc etc. Towel dry racks.

Although it's not something that bothers me, mini fridge wouldn't be daftest thing.

TVs produce heat too. And mini fridges. And charge stations. And lightbulbs. A current model LED projector doesn’t produce that much heat, you’ll never notice it.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
mikemelbrooks wrote:

Video projector can be ceiling mounted to the side , ie not centred on the wall / screen, then use the projector controls to square the image. That way you avoid casting a shadow
Very true, My garage has very little headroom, and cheaper projectors did not have good keystone correction back when i dabbled with them, note I said hard not impossible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Lol if you are not using voice control for fans, lights etc remote controls are so 80s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

TVs produce heat too. And mini fridges. And charge stations. And lightbulbs. A current model LED projector doesn’t produce that much heat, you’ll never notice it.

Ok, must admit I was thinking of the (old) filament bulb ones we used at work, and then thinking of that ceiling mounted 1 foot from my head. Didn't realise, although should have assumed, that technology would have progressed. I know those other things generate heat, but not to the degree of the 'old' projectors. Fair call though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a great thread over on the TrainerRoad forum about pain cave setups. Lots of pics and recommendations. Some people have some really fantastic setups:
https://www.trainerroad.com/...ee-your-paincave/375

(Post #1611 is flat out amazing)

Matt
Last edited by: Chemist: Dec 19, 20 14:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mikemelbrooks wrote:

Lol if you are not using voice control for fans, lights etc remote controls are so 80s

Lol if you are not using mind control for fans, lights etc voice controls are so 90s
Last edited by: plant_based: Dec 19, 20 14:42
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Features [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we all know technology peaked with the clapper

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Features [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first 'remote' we had for the VHS was on a 10 foot cord.

Was OK for play, fast forward, rewind, but you needed to open the flap on the top of the machine to be able to programme the timer by moving a load of pegs around to trigger 'record' / 'stop record' over the next 7 days. Although, I would note that it was more reliable than the current system where bright sun 'blinds' the remote unless I hold my hand up to cast a shadow over sensor.

/off topic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
we all know technology peaked with the clapper

HAHAHA I told my wife I'd install a clapper onto something and not tell her to see how long it'd take her to notice. She remembers occasionally and claps expecting something to happen.

Someday. Someday.

Someone mentioned voice control. Here's how that works. I'm not exaggerating this is literally how they work:

Controlled device (it runs software that can and probably will be hacked and is never updated therefore known vulnerabilities remain there forever) > your home network > internet > cloud provider < your internet again or maybe LTE on the phone or tablet < voice control

Voice control device is a voice recorder. It records your voice, compresses it into an audio file, sends the file to the cloud provider, there they perform speech to text, and return the answer. The rub is, besides hacking concerns, is that everything you send them, your voice commands, they keep that for an extended period of time or forever. Read the EULA to see which.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't established a budget, but as little as possible. I have bought almost everything on the FB Marketplace, or FB groups. I am not really tech savvy. I am not opposed to it, just don't too invest too much time into it. If I am on the trainer I spend a tremendous amount of time on YouTube watching various videos, motivational speeches, etc. I know, sounds strange. I do prefer Apple products if I were to choice, but I can't justify the price of a MacBook. I like the soundbar idea. I am going to do a little research on them. The projector idea is great too, but I am already into the TV set up. Thank you for the sounder idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Features [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1.) You would suggest PC over Apple TV's swift application? I don't have any experience with either. What are the dis/advantages of each?
2.) Not going the projector route. I wanted to be able to move the a/v around based on workout.
3.) I didn't think about having a remote for EVERYTHING - excellent point. I just considered TV, but lights, heat, fans, etc. This is outstanding advice.
4.) I just left TSC after looking at mats. They have 4'x6'x3/4" mats for $45 each. They are the primo mats, as you suggested. I didn't pull the trigger yet. I will need 9 of them - $405.
5.) Good idea on the towel rack - inexpensive, and will help keep the stink out of the house.
6.) Shelving - another inexpensive add. This will help keep things in one location, and organized.
7.) Charge station - I wonder if there is something designed especially for this type of situation. If not, it would be pretty easy to zip tie, or velcro a power strip to one of the legs on my trainer table, or on one of the uprights on the treadmill.
8.) Fridge - I didn't consider it, but after the suggestion I looked on FB marketplace, and a decent fridge is pretty cheap. This would be an easy one to get the wife to buy in on.

A ton of great suggestions. Thank you very much. I truly appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously - voice control for fans, lights, etc. As embarrassing as I am say it, never heard of it. Going to look into it tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you - appreciate the link.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tmontgomery wrote:
1.) You would suggest PC over Apple TV's swift application? I don't have any experience with either. What are the dis/advantages of each?

My wife has an up to date ipad, and I've also run (and still do when we're away) Zwift on my SurfacePro. I'm absolutely fine with both in terms of them running zwift, but the PC solution for me works way better. Indeed we've got 2 PCs - his n hers and 2x Neo, etc. Each has own monitor and then both connect to the TV and I swap the TV input source between the two depending on who is riding.

Each PC was NZD99 (so about $50USD). I added a cheap video card (NZD100), and so run dual output with zwift on the TV and streaming video on the monitor. TV is also the audio out. Full disclosure then I also swapped out the HDD for a SDD for another $60 each - no actual in use performance benefit, but I ride at 4:45 am so the 2 minute bootup time saving was well worth it. The PCS just sit on a shelf, no wires to mess with, no cables to connect. Wireless mouse (one red, one black so we don't get confused), USB extension cables under the floor tiles to pop up next to the trainer.

As for why better than the ipad/surface. Well the ipad would go flat pretty quick and the charge cable is pretty short meaning that the plug needed to be on an extension cable which then left it dangling in the air - was just messy. There are also some issues with the lack of ant+ support and limited bluetooth channels on the ithing - can be sorted, but for me was just hassle. The surface was OK, but would tax the processor so the fan would kick in and that would eat battery, as well as the tablet getting warm. In fairness I was using outside in full sun, but one time it had a tanty and shut down to cool off. And then there's the 'where to stand it'. I move between being down on TT bars and standing to sprint. So a 'close' tablet is hard to be in a good position for watching in both positions. A TV / monitor on the wall 5foot in front is perfect. Note that you may want to have the monitor lower than you first think - if you plan to wall mount try to rig something up with temporary shelves first to get the height right.

So headlines, the PC route is cheaper than the ipad if you are buying dedicated. There is a huge advantage to me in being able to just jump on and ride with a 99%+ reliability, and no faffing with wires, pairing anything, flat batteries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tmontgomery wrote:
Good afternoon.

Current features:

Wahoo Kickr
Wahoo Climb
Woodway 4Front
Wahoo trainer table
Wahoo fan

Nice treadmill!

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of great ideas. 43” way too small, I’d suggest two 70” 4K TVs (one on top, one on bottom). One for Zwift, the other for Netflix/YouTube/etc. You can get both for way less than you paid for a 43” a few years ago. Don’t spend $400 on flooring, Sams Club has very good mats and you could get a big bunch for way under $100, use the savings for the TVs.
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Features [abrowntd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
abrowntd wrote:
Don’t spend $400 on flooring, Sams Club has very good mats and you could get a big bunch for way under $100, use the savings for the TVs.

The problem I found with the foam type tiles that jigsaw is that over time they stretch. So when you take them up to clean them, it's impossible to get them back together. Indeed even if you don't deliberately take them up they can still lift a bit.

But definitely an option - I had a good 2 years out of the first set of cheap ones.
Quote Reply

Prev Next