Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pacing the bike
Quote | Reply
Assuming you've got an average power target for a bike leg how much over it (3s/Instantaneous) do you target to cover lower power segments (corners, downhills, tightening shoes, etc..)? Do you change based on race distance?

For a Sprint I'll not worry, just go as hard as possible, for a 70.3 I'll normally just come in 10W under target, but I'm finding pacing Oly's by power really tricky, often coming up 20/25W under target.

It seems that for an Oly I'd need to often be at threshold or above to get near to an overall ~95%
Quote Reply
Re: Pacing the bike [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, I think 95% is too high for most athletes in an Olympic. I tried that for years. I went to about 90% and was overall much faster at the finish line.

Second, how much do you vary? Not much. You basically want to go a little higher power when you are going slower and a little lower power when you are going faster.... but two things get in the way of large variability. 1. The slower portions take more time. 2. Going 5% under for 3:00 does not provide all the recovery from going 5% over for 3:00.... or as the Brits say, " you never make up on the straights what you lose on the roundabouts."

Vary you effort less than you think to get the fastest time.
Quote Reply