Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PacePro in Triathlons?
Quote | Reply
So DC Rainmaker just posted about how the PacePro feature is coming down to the FR 945 (and FR 245) this week. See below for the link:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...fields-per-page.html

Now I understand that it has been available in (at least most) of the Fenix 6 series, one thing from the post struck me as interesting; the ability to use the PacePro feature for an entire triathlon. Now Garmin only has this setup for running routes, it's logical that 3rd parties or just Garmin themselves would extend this for an entire triathlon pacing strategy. Now while it would be difficult to use while swimming, this could be a great feature for the "easier" two legs. I know I would use this feature but curious to everyone else's thoughts on the topic.

Today I do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't.
Quote Reply
Re: PacePro in Triathlons? [RunJoeRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that its currently only for running. The big deal about this is the ability to pace climb sections independently and negative split. That's a big deal compared to virtual partner which just gives avg. target pace for the whole race. I think this has great potential for road racing or even for the run leg of a triathlon (although would be a PITA to start in T2).
I can see this easily extended to support cycling courses but I don't see how this will work in a triathlon unless they allow you to combine multiple pacepro plans into a multi-sport plan.

I am very interested to get this on my 945 and test it. But read DCR's fine print about the errors you get if the course is not perfectly aligned to your run - this could potentially kill the whole thing
Quote Reply
Re: PacePro in Triathlons? [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
My understanding is that its currently only for running. The big deal about this is the ability to pace climb sections independently and negative split. That's a big deal compared to virtual partner which just gives avg. target pace for the whole race. I think this has great potential for road racing or even for the run leg of a triathlon (although would be a PITA to start in T2).
I can see this easily extended to support cycling courses but I don't see how this will work in a triathlon unless they allow you to combine multiple pacepro plans into a multi-sport plan.

I am very interested to get this on my 945 and test it. But read DCR's fine print about the errors you get if the course is not perfectly aligned to your run - this could potentially kill the whole thing

Bestbikesplit seems to be able to do that. Meaning give you cue directions as the course progresses. I'm new to it but can't justify$20/no

If Garmin did this I'd upgrade to 945 in a heartbeat
Quote Reply
Re: PacePro in Triathlons? [RunJoeRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
has anyone had any luck figuring out how to do a pacepro for just the running portion of a triathlon or multisport activity on a 945 or Fenix6?
just to be clear, as in, you have stated the activity as a "triathlon" on your watch, but during the running portion, you use the pacepro feature.
Quote Reply
Re: PacePro in Triathlons? [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blainyboy8 wrote:
has anyone had any luck figuring out how to do a pacepro for just the running portion of a triathlon or multisport activity on a 945 or Fenix6?
just to be clear, as in, you have stated the activity as a "triathlon" on your watch, but during the running portion, you use the pacepro feature.

I've had Garmin multisport watches for 10+ years, but have never once used the 'triathlon' mode. I use my watch for the swim, bike computer for the bike, and then watch again for the run. This seems super simple in my mind. If you were to do this the 'pacepro' feature could in theory be used on the run.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: PacePro in Triathlons? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Blainyboy8 wrote:

I've had Garmin multisport watches for 10+ years, but have never once used the 'triathlon' mode. I use my watch for the swim, bike computer for the bike, and then watch again for the run. This seems super simple in my mind. If you were to do this the 'pacepro' feature could in theory be used on the run.

You may want to check out Garmin's Extended Display functionality, which allows you to view your watch info on your bike computer.

The advantage of this approach is that you still get the "ease of viewing" of the bike computer, while being able to track your overall time and calories, plus transition times. The only downside is that you are limited to 4 datafields (plus lap time and overall time) per screen.
Quote Reply
Re: PacePro in Triathlons? [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chan wrote:
dgutstadt wrote:

Bestbikesplit seems to be able to do that. Meaning give you cue directions as the course progresses. I'm new to it but can't justify$20/no

If Garmin did this I'd upgrade to 945 in a heartbeat

If your already a TP member BestBikeSplit is something like 50% off, $60/year. I've used it the past few 70.3 races and it's been a huge help with pacing, especially on a hilly/technical course like Nice last year.

Strava
Quote Reply