Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PTO US Open: Are you signing up?
Quote | Reply
19 days until AG sign-ups open on January 25th. Are you signing up?
Quote Reply
Re: PTO US Open: Are you signing up? [bjgwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With it being Dallas and me in Houston, I’m pretty interested in going but I haven’t seen any details. Distances? Venue? Entry fee? Once they release full details, then I’ll make a decision about whether to make the trek.
Quote Reply
Re: PTO US Open: Are you signing up? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Distances are 2k swim, 80k bike & 18k run. I know that PTO President Sam Renouf said recently that "We're going to price age group entries significantly lower than what you see in the market because we don't like that the sport is essentially on the back of it most loyal fans." So that should bode well for the price. I signed up for Clash Watkins Glen and it was $295 while Musselman was $389 on the same weekend so we'll see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bjgwoody wrote:
19 days until AG sign-ups open on January 25th. Are you signing up?

Maybe. Devil is in the details. Venue in Dallas will matter a lot as there are many that are not so good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will be checking out the registration when it opens up but as others have said until the details (course & price) are known my final decision isn't made yet.
I like the sound of the event and am hoping the item for sale matches the advert.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost 95% sure I’ll be there. I live in DFW so it’s kind of a no brainer. I’m also interested in racing this format that’s slightly less than a 70.3 and seeing all the pros up close!
Quote Reply
Re: PTO US Open: Are you signing up? [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So registration is open - $155 for sprint (25km) and $399 for the long course (100km).
No course maps available but swim is at Lake Carolyn.
Does anyone have knowledge of the surrounding area?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bjgwoody wrote:
I know that PTO President Sam Renouf said recently that "We're going to price age group entries significantly lower than what you see in the market because we don't like that the sport is essentially on the back of it most loyal fans."

That's cool but the entry fees are a fairly insignificant cost when it comes to tri. I like the idea but not really a selling point IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought part of what they said was trying to make these events more accessible but that price tag is virtually the same as an IM 70.3 race. I guess there's the shorter race option but at that point you could look for local races. Still on board with these events & would do one but was hoping they would be more affordable.
Quote Reply
Re: PTO US Open: Are you signing up? [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
Thought part of what they said was trying to make these events more accessible but that price tag is virtually the same as an IM 70.3 race. I guess there's the shorter race option but at that point you could look for local races. Still on board with these events & would do one but was hoping they would be more affordable.

$155 for a sprint seems well above market unless the NYC area is well below market.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HoustonTri(er) wrote:
So registration is open - $155 for sprint (25km) and $399 for the long course (100km).
No course maps available but swim is at Lake Carolyn.
Does anyone have knowledge of the surrounding area?

I’m local to DFW mid cities area and I avoid riding in that area. Going to have to close a lot of streets down for the bike…

I was really expecting cheaper pricing than IM by the press release
Last edited by: Tribike53: Jan 25, 22 10:54
Quote Reply
Re: PTO US Open: Are you signing up? [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems like they are trying to 'sell' that participants are getting 'over $200' worth of gear in the swag bag and 'free' FinisherPix (a $50 value). Maybe they're trying to say "It's $400 but you're getting $200 in swag and free $50 FinisherPix so really the race only costs $150" ???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I would prefer an honest price & not being charged more for "stuff" but maybe that's just me. Also felt a little misled by some of their messaging.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
Yeah I would prefer an honest price & not being charged more for "stuff" but maybe that's just me. Also felt a little misled by some of their messaging.

Same, I live in DFW and was super excited when this was announced. No need for a hotel and a major race coming at an affordable price? No way I don’t do this was my initial reaction.

Now at $400 before fees I’m a hard no
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$400 for the long race that isn’t in a scenic or iconic area? Count me out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bjgwoody wrote:
Distances are 2k swim, 80k bike & 18k run. I know that PTO President Sam Renouf said recently that "We're going to price age group entries significantly lower than what you see in the market because we don't like that the sport is essentially on the back of it most loyal fans." So that should bode well for the price. I signed up for Clash Watkins Glen and it was $295 while Musselman was $389 on the same weekend so we'll see.

This should probably now be in Pink. The 100k costs more than a 70.3 and gets you 13.1 KMs less.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like they just cut the price in half, and giving refunds to anyone who signed up so far. I must have been one of the only idiots who signed up at full price. Happy to get some money back though. Prices now $75 for 25km and $195 for 100km races.
Quote Reply
Re: PTO US Open: Are you signing up? [swb384] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Came here to post the same news.
I also had signed up at the earlier (high) price, so very happy to hear this news as that is a significant refund for the long distance race.
Ok - so now that the PTO has addressed the high price what's keeping you from signing up?
Come on down to Texas y'all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm signed up for the Memphis 70.3, otherwise I think I'd sign up. It would be nice to see the course first, though. Has that been posted?
Last edited by: Th4ddy: Feb 10, 22 6:47
Quote Reply
Re: PTO US Open: Are you signing up? [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No they haven't posted the courses yet. But it's nice to see that the PTO isn't tone deaf to the age groupers like another organization that we know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HoustonTri(er) wrote:
Came here to post the same news.
I also had signed up at the earlier (high) price, so very happy to hear this news as that is a significant refund for the long distance race.
Ok - so now that the PTO has addressed the high price what's keeping you from signing up?
Come on down to Texas y'all.

If I get into 70.3 WC then I’m already over budget for racing this year. If I don’t I’ll sign up.

Before the price cut I was a hard no regarded of anything else.

Happy to see them change the price.
Quote Reply
Re: PTO US Open: Are you signing up? [swb384] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really happy that they were able to go back & roll out reduced prices. They had originally said they wanted to make the event more accessible but then slapped on the standard IM 70.3 price tag during the initial rollout. It's pretty rare for an organization to take feedback in this way, especially when the focus, often times, is how to make as much money as possible. I'm sure they'll still make plenty of money but this seems much more in line with what they have been preaching about growing the sport. Dallas is a bit of a hike for me but I'm going to consider it before 70.3 Worlds (I think too close for my liking even though the price is right) & would definitely consider it in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These courses are obnoxious if you're doing the 100k. Never done a tri here in Dallas, so might be my first one. Yes, even I might sign up for this...because a race is a race and I haven't raced all year. So it would be the 25k, which in my experience, this is a decent sprint course AND you get an OWS. Only sprints I've done are pool sprints...because why drive my ass 90 minutes for a Sprint at 4AM? (Commute required for a local OLY in PHX except Cactus Man)

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply