Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
PSA for Boston / New England (Now Philly area) peeps - want a Woodway?
Quote | Reply
There is an liquidation auction house selling off 8 Woodway 4 Fronts in Holbrook MA. They came from a boxing gym that closed. They are in very good shape, the belts show little wear compared to most gym units. They have the quick set panel which is one of the more basic ones. They are all from 2017, so I am guessing they were used for maybe 2.5 years before the pandemic. I am assuming the boxing gym use was less than a place like Lifetime. They are asking $4800 but you can negotiate. I got one yesterday.

Do a search on craigslist and you will see them.

The guys selling them dont know much about them but they were very helpful and were careful about packing and loading the unit. They will let you pick whichever one you want.
Last edited by: endosch2: Jun 14, 21 6:54
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Boston / New England peeps - want a Woodway? [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What’s the typical market rate in a second hand Woodway like these?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Boston / New England peeps - want a Woodway? [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to say because there is not really a highly liquid market but Woodway sells refurbished 4 Fronts for around 7k plus shipping (1400 is what I was quoted) and I have seen a few others in the area asking 7k ish with no refurb service. My plan is to get a factory approved service on it as soon as I get it installed next week.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Boston / New England peeps - want a Woodway? [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
There is an liquidation auction house selling off 8 Woodway 4 Fronts in Holbrook MA. They came from a boxing gym that closed. They are in very good shape, the belts show little wear compared to most gym units. They have the quick set panel which is one of the more basic ones. They are all from 2017, so I am guessing they were used for maybe 2.5 years before the pandemic. I am assuming the boxing gym use was less than a place like Lifetime. They are asking $4800 but you can negotiate. I got one yesterday.

Do a search on craigslist and you will see them.

The guys selling them dont know much about them but they were very helpful and were careful about packing and loading the unit. They will let you pick whichever one you want.

If you don’t mind me asking, what did you pay?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Boston / New England peeps - want a Woodway? [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I paid $4400.

I got it home and double checked the serial number, it was manufactured in June of 2017. I got a much better look at it and its really in perfect shape. Its very clean and the belt shows no wear, the diamond pattern on the rubber is no different from the center to the sides.

I gave all of the grease fittings a shot of grease and I vacuumed the small amount of dust out from the inside. Now I need my electrician to show up and wire the jack for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wish I was closer, I’d be all over that.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip. I reached out about one. Gentlemen I spoke to said they were in pretty good shape, but had some wear on the running slats. Did you see them/notice the wear? Just cognizant of the wear given the slats are pretty expensive to replace.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Boston / New England peeps - want a Woodway? [Persia1921] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have run on Woodways at various health clubs like Lifetime. When the slats are worn, the rubber on the center patch of the slat where you run gets smooth from repeated foot strikes. These have none of that in the center area. The hexagon imprint pattern is still like new and the white 4Front lettering is still colored on the side of every 6th slat, like new. If you look at Woodways guide to buying a used Woodway they would classify these as new condition.

Where there is some strange sign of use is along the rails on the side edge of some of the slats. Some of the belts have some chips in the rubber that appears to be caused by people straddling the treadmill but dragging just enough of their shoe to catch the belt and cause a small chip of rubber to tear off. Its not on every slat, just every 10th or 15th on some of the treadmills there. I picked one that had very few chips and I have no intention to replace the slats, to me its a minor cosmetic issue.

Overall they are in great shape. Also slats cost $40 and can be replaced pretty easily if you are the slightest bit mechanical. There is a small window in the sheet metal of the inside side panels that allow you to access the screws that hold the slots to the main drive belts.
Last edited by: endosch2: Apr 6, 21 9:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Purely out of interest, why are these so expensive?
Aren't they just a curved platform with a belt that rides on a bunch of rollers? Do they even have a motor?
Absolutely nothing against them, just couldn't ever figure out the pricing...
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Boston / New England peeps - want a Woodway? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are not curved, they make ones that are and those dont have motors. They are expensive because unlike running on a belt sliding on a deck, the entire running surface is spinning and you are running on a solid yet forgiving surface. They are motorized of course, they are nearly silent, they use 1/2 of the electricity. For me once I ran on one about 5 years ago I wanted one ever since. They have a completely different feel than a regular treadmill. It feels like you are running on a track. They also last forever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
For me once I ran on one about 5 years ago I wanted one ever since. They have a completely different feel than a regular treadmill. It feels like you are running on a track. They also last forever.

I retired about 18 months ago and about the only thing I miss from my work life is "my" Woodway treadmills. My office had a really nice gym and the fitness director was also a runner. In addition to the usual collection of gym treadmills (like 8-10 lined up in a row) he put 2 Woodways down at the end in a corner. Virtually no one realized what they were or used them. They were essentially my personal treadmills. I could go into the gym during peak hours and have them to myself meanwhile folks would be lined up for the other treadmills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Very helpful reply. The gentlemen I spoke to said someone very knowledgeable had recently come by and given him an education on the treadmills--assume it must have been you. Think I will go ahead and put a deposit down. Seems like a great deal. Are you still planning on having a factory service done? Would be great if you could let me know who you end up using for that. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Boston / New England peeps - want a Woodway? [Persia1921] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Persia1921 wrote:
Thanks! Very helpful reply. The gentlemen I spoke to said someone very knowledgeable had recently come by and given him an education on the treadmills--assume it must have been you. Think I will go ahead and put a deposit down. Seems like a great deal. Are you still planning on having a factory service done? Would be great if you could let me know who you end up using for that. Thanks!

There is a pretty comprehensive owners manual on woodways website that tells you nearly everything you need to know and also I called them and talked to one of their techs. There is also a guide on buying a used woodway. I got it set up and the electric done today and I am probably not going to do a service for a bit. Its worth reading the stuff on Woodways website. There are specific handle holes for inserts to move the unit, that needs attention so you don't try to move it by the panels which are just covers. I had them put it on a pallet and put it in my pickup truck, and then I removed it with a farm tractor with a pallet attachment on the loader, and 4 of us hand carried it the rest of the way into my walk out basement. It was a major object to move. I also carefully leveled the feet once I got it in place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great PSA! I drove 16 hours round trip a month ago for a 2008 Desmo with 800 miles on it and in great shape. Bought it for $3700. $4400 is a great deal for a 2016. It's so nice to have the Woodway now! In fact, I'm headed down to run on it right now while it's hailing outside here in in MN!

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting! Just picked one of from them - super nice guys, really helpful getting thing loaded and stuff. I think they have three left still!

Quote | Reply
this is awesome. I'm scrambling to find a moving company that will deliver this for me. I don't mind the 3.5 hour drive, just no way I can pick up this 450lib beast by myself
if anyone is aware of mover/installer that could do this, that would by great

thanks
Doron
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Boston / New England peeps - want a Woodway? [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
this is awesome. I'm scrambling to find a moving company that will deliver this for me. I don't mind the 3.5 hour drive, just no way I can pick up this 450lib beast by myself
if anyone is aware of mover/installer that could do this, that would by great

thanks
Doron

You need to make sure they move them using the transportation tubes and not the belt or the side panels. I would put a deposit down just in case. Also check the serial numbers, there was one unit that was older than the others. They can put it on a pallet for you and you can have a mover or LTL company move it for you.

My best advice is take the time to read the manual and understand how you are supposed to transport, level, and electrify the units. There is a lot on Woodways website as well as on youtube. Just spend some time reading it and exploring their site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up. Do you know the height from the floor to the running deck. They look higher than a normal treadmill. Need to make sure i wouldn’t hit my basement ceiling
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Boston / New England peeps - want a Woodway? [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its in the owners manual but its pretty high, I would say 10 inches at least.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Boston / New England peeps - want a Woodway? [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Search WOODWAY on Philly Craigslist. Same guys are selling more of them. They are in much better condition than the last batch. Best of luck!
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Boston / New England peeps - want a Woodway? [Howbouchya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is the same group trainer console as the ones from Boston. They are the same year (2018) To see the miles and hours on them press the start button while holding the + and - button for the incline. Then scroll through the fields, the odometer reading will be the last 3 digits on the far right LCD plus any number from the second to last right hand side LCD. It may say something like 4 876, which means your unit has 4876 miles. It also has hours.

Sounds like these are auction vs the Boston deal which was flat priced at around $4500. The condition looks more or less the same, maybe better. For a used woodway they are in new condition. Just make sure they are moved correctly.
Last edited by: endosch2: Jun 14, 21 6:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was the original Boston listing for the same $8k that the new Philly listing is showing? That's a far cry from the $4500 mentioned above. Thank you for the PSA.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Boston / New England peeps - want a Woodway? [macwhinb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
macwhinb wrote:
Was the original Boston listing for the same $8k that the new Philly listing is showing? That's a far cry from the $4500 mentioned above. Thank you for the PSA.

No, the Philly thing is an auction. The Boston ones were priced on Craigslist at $4800 but everyone payed less. Maybe the seller woke up a little. I wouldnt pay $8000 because these are not refurbed units and there is no way to be assured they have been moved properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
macwhinb wrote:

No, the Philly thing is an auction. The Boston ones were priced on Craigslist at $4800 but everyone payed less. Maybe the seller woke up a little. I wouldnt pay $8000 because these are not refurbed units and there is no way to be assured they have been moved properly.

-These ones are in far better condition than the ones they sold in holbrook. I was going to buy one in holbrook but when I got there they had dents and scratches and rub marks and they were very ugly cosmetically. These ones in Philly look brand new. Just my honest opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I wouldn't pay the $8k either, but the $4500 is tempting me to make the 6 hour round trip drive. It says auction, but also says contact to make a pre-auction purchase, which is why I asked the pricing question. It seems they do want much more for these than the Boston ones. How do you know it's from the same sellers?
Quote Reply

Prev Next