Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RonanIRL wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
RonanIRL wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
CompetiveCyclist is doing their usual seasonal discounting of their HED JET 6+ wheelset. Currently at $949 today. Really can't beat that price for wheels that are available NOW, not 8-10 weeks.

Canyons are doing 25% off Zipp 303s and 404s. Do they run narrower than the HEDs?

There are two measurements. First there are the internal measurements. Zipp 404 Firecrest is 16.25mm, while HED JET+ is 21mm. The brake track however is very similar. HED is 25mm and Zipp is 24.73mm

Thanks Thomas, that's what I figured. I guess the only way to really know is to try and find someone with the same wheels? I can't find that article on tire choices but will the 23c tire at 85psi be wider on the Zipps or HEDs? I'm usually good at math but it's been a long day!

The tires will be wider on HED. For instance an old Supersonic 23mm could measure a tad over 23mm on Zipp and could between 24.5 and 26.5mm depending on how worn the tire is. As the tire is used the air pressure gradually expands the size of the tire.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey I noticed on Hed site, these are not recommended for riders over 200lbs. Is there a similar tire that would be more appropriate for someone at 205, and would these be ok for training and racing, or are these only for racing.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [wanna_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wanna_tri wrote:
Hey I noticed on Hed site, these are not recommended for riders over 200lbs. Is there a similar tire that would be more appropriate for someone at 205, and would these be ok for training and racing, or are these only for racing.

They make a stallion build with more spokes for heavier riders and that is what HED wants you to buy. Keep in mind that HED tends to be a very conservative company and is a big part of why they never went to carbon clinchers in the first place. I would love to see a comparison of various companies wheels and their weight limitations. I would bet there are few companies who wheels couldn't support as much weight as HED without a disclaimer.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [wanna_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wanna_tri wrote:

They might not be on sale, but HED makes a "stallion" build (with more spokes) of these wheels that's intended for heavier riders...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really wish there where a uniform standard for this. I know that all will be different since the style of riding, bike frame, securing options, etc will all differ but there has to be some sort of uniform code that could be put in place for if not a weight recommendation, a scheduled wheel checkup recommendation for testing trueness, spoke contact points and the like based off mileage and/or weight.

I believe Mavic doesn't really put up weight limits on their wheels but they do suggest increased checks with greater rider weight. I wish all wheel manufacturers would do something similar in the least instead of just setting an artificial line of no return.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [yinzerniner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yinzerniner wrote:
I really wish there where a uniform standard for this. I know that all will be different since the style of riding, bike frame, securing options, etc will all differ but there has to be some sort of uniform code that could be put in place for if not a weight recommendation, a scheduled wheel checkup recommendation for testing trueness, spoke contact points and the like based off mileage and/or weight.

I believe Mavic doesn't really put up weight limits on their wheels but they do suggest increased checks with greater rider weight. I wish all wheel manufacturers would do something similar in the least instead of just setting an artificial line of no return.

I don't really have an answer, maybe Dan does, but I think this is just where the engineers, lawyers, risk-management, and product liability people intersect. As it stands there are always companies that are more conservative and those that are less. Not sure on HEDs decision and frankly I don't follow the weight restrictions as much as I am under the weight, but it seems like risk-mitigating strategy for HED. I am sure the extra skus complicates the business and is less cost effective than one line for all.

Regardless, rider weight is just one piece of the weight puzzle, then there is always the weight that one hauls and the variance between different bikes can be a quite a bit as well. In my case, on my commuter that can be a lot of extra weight.

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [runsliketurtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runsliketurtle wrote:
I have watched the video, and I have mounted 3 sets of tires on these wheels, i dispute the "mounted with fingers" comment. Its not impossible, just more difficult than every other wheel i have ever owned. And yes i do use the center channel. Also, the fairing makes a relatively loud noise on every bump in the road.

Here is how I do it.

1. Mount 1 side / complete bead in the rim center channel.
2. Put the tube in carefully, tucking it into the tire for the whole circumference of the tire.
3. Dont fully seat the valve stem, and begin at the valve stem slowly insert the second bead of the tire into the center channel, making sure the tube is centered between the beads, and both beads are centered in the channel.
4. when you get to that last little 4-6 inch stubborn section of the second bead, go back to the valve stem and push the tire all around the wheel with both hands toward your stubborn part. You have to work the tire around the rim toward the last section. If the valve stem is at 12 o'clock, and the stubborn part is at 6 o'clock, work the tire around pushing it toward the 6 o'clock.
5. Then the last 4-6" of tire goes on with just your fingers. For me this works every time.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [yinzerniner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question - I have 2 pair, a 6/9+ and a pair of 6+ only.

I have used each for racing and occasional training rides, and each pair has about 400 miles.

Thomas G and Tom A or other who have used these:

How many miles have you put on them? How have they held up and if you have had to true them how have you done that?

I was thinking of turning my 6+s into training wheels but only if they will last 1000s of miles with little maintenance.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would probably heed the weight limit...I am fairly sure HED "regular" builds used to be up to 225 pounds because when I bought them I didn't think twice about doing so and I was around 200 whereas Flos, I always go Clydesdale version...which tells me (and yes I'm totally speculating here) that either they changed their design or something happened to (or threatened lawsuit or the like) a heavier rider 205-220 pound rider on the older version that caused them to re-think the posted weight limit.

o
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not either of the ones you asked but I have been using my Jet6+ with PT hub for my training and racing for the last 4 seasons and just took it in to get it trued this week. It was barely off but just wanted to get it done so my brakes could be set closer because my Felt DA rear brake is not that great. I would have no issues using them as training wheels.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a set of these for Shimano for $850 shipped from Backcountry.com. There's a coupon code for 15% off when you first visit the web site, which made the wheels around $800 and then $50 shipping. Not sure if this is the absolute cheapest deal out there, but FYI.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and you should probably be able to find another 5-10% or so in cash back from activejunky or ebates
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
Question - I have 2 pair, a 6/9+ and a pair of 6+ only.

I have used each for racing and occasional training rides, and each pair has about 400 miles.

Thomas G and Tom A or other who have used these:

How many miles have you put on them? How have they held up and if you have had to true them how have you done that?

I was thinking of turning my 6+s into training wheels but only if they will last 1000s of miles with little maintenance.....

Sorry I missed this last month...

I currently have ~9000 miles of nearly everyday use on my Jet 6+ Blacks, and the front has never needed to be touched. The rear has needed to be re-trued twice:
  1. Once after hitting the edge of a pothole with one side of the rim bead so hard that that it bent the bead and instantly sliced/blew out the tire. The great thing about it being an aluminum-based rim is that I was able to save the rim by gently bending the bead back into place. A carbon rim would've been destroyed. That said, I decided to try "saving" the rim this way instead of taking advantage of the crash replacement offer from Hed (which IIRC is ~$300 for a rim replacement, which isn't too bad actually). After straightening the bead, the wheel was still slightly out of true, so that was re-truing #1.
  2. The second time (and actually only ~2 weeks later) was after a rider slid out in front of me in a turn, then me hitting him and going OTB and fracturing my pelvis. In this case, the bike went over the top of me, landed on the saddle and cartwheeled down the road. The wheels, and the bike (steel, yay!) were mostly undamaged (had to replace saddle and carbon handlebars) but again, the rear was only slightly out of true. Re-truing #2.

Other than those 2 events, no other issues. Bearings and freehub are still running smooth...and the Black Turbine brake track is still as black as the day I bought them.

So, based on that experience, I would have NO hesitation in recommending the Jets for "everyday" use. About the only thing I'd do different, and I mentioned it in a thread yesterday, is I probably would go for the 28h "stallion build" rear wheel if I had to do it over...but, that's mostly because of the chainstay mounted brake on my custom Stinner. The stock 24h rear wheel is just a bit too flexible to prevent an ever so slight brake rub when climbing out of the saddle with that wheel. All rear wheels I've used in that bike that are 28h or greater don't rub at all.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
I just bought a set of these for Shimano for $850 shipped from Backcountry.com. There's a coupon code for 15% off when you first visit the web site, which made the wheels around $800 and then $50 shipping. Not sure if this is the absolute cheapest deal out there, but FYI.

It is a good price, I noticed they dropped the Campy version down to ~$750 which means might say a ratchet down of the Shimano as well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI.....Use code 15OFF100 and you can save 15% off of them at Backcountry, and there is free shipping right now.

So you can get them for 806$
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bujayman wrote:
FYI.....Use code 15OFF100 and you can save 15% off of them at Backcountry, and there is free shipping right now.

So you can get them for 806$

Yep and I got email CompetitveCyclist this morning that they have a similar 15% coupon offer as well going on but it is: CC15OFF100 (expires 8/22).

Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Aug 9, 17 16:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up on this. 666+shipping for Campy! This has got to be the first time in memory that Campy was actually cheaper. Looking forward to getting rid of carbon brake tracks and joining the wide wheel crowd.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Thanks for the heads up on this. 666+shipping for Campy! This has got to be the first time in memory that Campy was actually cheaper. Looking forward to getting rid of carbon brake tracks and joining the wide wheel crowd.

You won't be disappointed. I rock the 25mm gatorskins with latex and they are dreamy. I am sure it would be even better with GP4000s but I don't need that much advantage against my training partners.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone who purchased the Hed Jet 6's through Competitve Cyclist's current sale managed to also get free shipping? I called them and was told wheels are considered bulk shipping and don't qualify for free shipping. They said this would be same on Backcountry.com as well.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [Dallcro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if similar sales ever come up for the Stallion build? Would love to get these but at 235 I think I would be pushing it.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [Dallcro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dallcro wrote:
Has anyone who purchased the Hed Jet 6's through Competitve Cyclist's current sale managed to also get free shipping? I called them and was told wheels are considered bulk shipping and don't qualify for free shipping. They said this would be same on Backcountry.com as well.

I don't think so. They also increased the shipping cost if you use the coupon as well if you didn't notice. When it comes down to it, this is a serious offer to begin with. This is actually much cheaper than even a pro athlete would get for a pro-deal direct from HED and CC has to pay advertising, referral fees, etc as well, and they themselves are a middle man. If you think about it, versus the direct FLO model, you wonder how anyone is making any money on this. Maybe this is part of a strategy by HED to get more wheels on the road and sell more wheels later on whether it be 9s, Discs, Black, etc.

I have no idea, but I do know that ever since I bought my first HED+ wheel, I have fell in love with wide rims. I have since bought 4 more wheels from them, but I liked the 6+ so much I opted to ditch the HED H3+ as I didn't see a day I would use it over the HED Jet 6+

If you really think about it too, these HED use more raw materials, come with better accessories (rim tape) vs (rim strips) and shipping wheels has gotten much more expensive as of late in general.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No stock of trispoke front wheels on any of these sites, bummer. Was looking for a deal on one to use for windy races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got free shipping on backcountry a while back. they had a deal for free shipping on anything over $50. It didn't show up at first, so I emailed. They fixed it to free shipping. Now this was almost exactly a year ago , but it was when they went down to 899 for a little while.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmg wrote:
No stock of trispoke front wheels on any of these sites, bummer. Was looking for a deal on one to use for windy races.
My H3+ tri-spoke handles worse in wind than my Jet+ 9, I wouldn't buy a tri-spoke to get better handling in the wind, you'll be disappointed (it's a great wheel when you're not dealing with crosswinds, though).
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Compared to an 808 though ?
Quote Reply

Prev Next