Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know how often Competive Cyclist has the Hed Jet 6s on sale at this price? A few times throughout the year?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree completely. Never have issues mounting tires. Heck I installed my TT and SS with no tire lever last night. Just push the bead of the tire to the middle and work your way around! Also makes sure you don't pinch flat since the tube will be fully in the tire!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not able to install on my Jet+ without a lever. And yes I can guarantee I made sure the bead is centered. One thing I noticed on the HED video is the guy wrapped all the way around his hand to the inside of the rim for extra leverage. Which is fine for the Ardennes he used as an example but not possible with a Jet or a Disc. I was too scared to damage the fairing trying to get more leverage to get that last section on. This is with a used GP4K and a new II version couldn't do get it done without levers.

My other rims I have no issues except with a trainer tire is the same way too.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Jul 15, 17 7:09
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [Dallcro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dallcro wrote:
Does anyone know how often Competive Cyclist has the Hed Jet 6s on sale at this price? A few times throughout the year?

Last year they had a similar pattern. Regular price about $1100 but would go on sale every once in a while for $999 or something close. At one point in October they dropped down to $749 but I don't think it lasted very long.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
I am not able to install on my Jet+ without a lever. And yes I can guarantee I made sure the bead is centered. One thing I noticed on the HED video is the guy wrapped all the way around his hand to the inside of the rim for extra leverage. Which is fine for the Ardennes he used as an example but not possible with a Jet or a Disc. I was too scared to damage the fairing trying to get more leverage to get that last section on. This is with a used GP4K and a new II version couldn't do get it done without levers.

It is definitely harder to get tires on rim but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. Zipps were all notoriously easier, so easy that in a flat, the tire would just come right off the rim and then you are skating on the rim. I think the tire being harder to get off at least adds a little extra protection and security. I think of as insurance, the premium is a little extra time install. With that being said, none of the Conti tires are that much harder to mount IMHO. The only problem tire I have come across is some of the Vittoria Corsa Speed and I'll use the Kool-Stop bead jack to help with that.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
loxx0050 wrote:

It is definitely harder to get tires on rim but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. Zipps were all notoriously easier, so easy that in a flat, the tire would just come right off the rim and then you are skating on the rim. I think the tire being harder to get off at least adds a little extra protection and security. I think of as insurance, the premium is a little extra time install. With that being said, none of the Conti tires are that much harder to mount IMHO. The only problem tire I have come across is some of the Vittoria Corsa Speed and I'll use the Kool-Stop bead jack to help with that.

I agree with this 100%
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have watched the video, and I have mounted 3 sets of tires on these wheels, i dispute the "mounted with fingers" comment. Its not impossible, just more difficult than every other wheel i have ever owned. And yes i do use the center channel. Also, the fairing makes a relatively loud noise on every bump in the road.

“I’m not going to stop yelling because that would mean, I lost the fight!” Kenny Powers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
CompetiveCyclist is doing their usual seasonal discounting of their HED JET 6+ wheelset. Currently at $949 today. Really can't beat that price for wheels that are available NOW, not 8-10 weeks.

If only they had the disc version on sale...
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
CompetiveCyclist is doing their usual seasonal discounting of their HED JET 6+ wheelset. Currently at $949 today. Really can't beat that price for wheels that are available NOW, not 8-10 weeks.

If only they had the disc version on sale...

You could always pick up a wheel builder cover. Personally I picked up my Jet+ Black Disc for about 900 which I thought I was decent.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just ordered these. Thanks for the heads up! As far as tyres... 23 or 25mm? Rolling on a 2016 Felt IA3
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [Formulagod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Formulagod wrote:
I just ordered these. Thanks for the heads up! As far as tyres... 23 or 25mm? Rolling on a 2016 Felt IA3

For racing I would go 23 up front and 25. Remember the wideness of the rims will already blow out a tire. A 23 will measure 25-27 and a 25mm could measure 28-30mm

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [runsliketurtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runsliketurtle wrote:
I have watched the video, and I have mounted 3 sets of tires on these wheels, i dispute the "mounted with fingers" comment. Its not impossible, just more difficult than every other wheel i have ever owned. And yes i do use the center channel. Also, the fairing makes a relatively loud noise on every bump in the road.

I got these for 899 last year. It was an amazing buy. The fairing is certainly thin compared to others, but it's been no issue.

In terms of changing tires, it's certainly the most difficult rims I've ever changed a tube on. After a long change on a cold day during a group ride, I practiced. The bead in the center works, but the dip in the center of the rim is so small. You have absoltely got to start from the opposite side of the valve stem and continually double check that it stayed in place. After practicing a few times, I could get the wheel off the bike and back on with a new tube in under 5 minutes. Only needed one lever to get the tire off. Nothing to get it on.
Last edited by: KG6: Aug 11, 17 10:21
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are currently on sale for $815 on Steep and Cheap. Couple that with an extra 4% cash back from ActiveJunky and you've got a heck of a wheelset at a great deal.

https://tv.xfinity.com/.../7864184700987210112
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kyle h wrote:
These are currently on sale for $815 on Steep and Cheap. Couple that with an extra 4% cash back from ActiveJunky and you've got a heck of a wheelset at a great deal.

https://tv.xfinity.com/.../7864184700987210112

We discussed this at the top of the post. Actually when this was posted the campy version was $1199, they have SINCE dropped the Campy version below the Shimano so that is the price for Campy which I assume most people don't want in the first place.

The price is both $949 on CompetiveC and SteepAndCheap for the Sram/Shimano version. They are both owned by the same company, BackCountry. CC has lower shipping price and better return policy.

Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Jul 18, 17 12:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can someone teach me on the difference between stinger and jet? for my all around roadie wheel - think stinger would be better as jets fairings are rather thin? do i get that correctly?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R2 wrote:
can someone teach me on the difference between stinger and jet? for my all around roadie wheel - think stinger would be better as jets fairings are rather thin? do i get that correctly?

The Stinger is a tubular, the Jets are clincher. Unless you are really particular (tubie-snob) the majority of people ride clinchers because of the vast improvements of clinchers and clincher tires over the years. That would leave you with the Jets.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas would you have any data on this? Rim width vs tire width vs tire pressure?

My Cervelo S5 has very tight tolerances with respect to inflated tire width and I'm not sure I can risk the HEDs! Bought a calipers on Amazon last week and I'm waiting to do some exact measurements before I pull the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love to pull the trigger on these - fast, tubeless ready, good for maintenance, but a recommended weight limit of 190?

Looks like I might have to save for a bit longer and go H3+.

OK, a LOT longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Canyons are doing 25% off Zipp 303s and 404s. Do they run narrower than the HEDs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2016 PR6 has OEM Reynolds Strikes. Having owned the original version of the Strikes years ago, and now having about 8 months on this newer version, I can say definitively that the new Strikes are much improved in overall performance, but particularly in the area of braking and heat buildup. I just returned from a trip out west where I did some fair amount of climbing and descending on roads that were somewhat technical descents, especially on a tri bike. The braking only became an issue once and that was when I overshot a decreasing radius turn and needed to really scrub speed. But mostly it was adequate. By fortune of the weather, I have not had opportunity to ride them extensively in wet conditions.

And that experience lends support to Thomas's statements above. As good as current carbon rim braking is, it is still a long way from the confidence of a good aluminum rim braking. When I had the original Strikes, I also had a set of Hed Alps. If it was wet or if the course was technical at all, I would opt for the Alps. After this trip out west, I think I'll be opting for a pair of Hed aluminum rim wheels again.

Of course, the carbon rim squeal does help tremendously in clearing out the errant pedestrians from the bike lane while descending our local bridge here in Charleston, SC. ;-) So the Strikes have that going for them.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RonanIRL wrote:
Thomas would you have any data on this? Rim width vs tire width vs tire pressure?

My Cervelo S5 has very tight tolerances with respect to inflated tire width and I'm not sure I can risk the HEDs! Bought a calipers on Amazon last week and I'm waiting to do some exact measurements before I pull the trigger.

this doesn't directly answer your question but the newest HED Jet wheels have a max tire/tyre psi of 90. This is true for both the rim brake and disc brake HED Jet 6+ wheels.

The older Jet 6+ wheels (2015?) that I own have a max psi rating of 100.
Last edited by: Billyk24: Jul 18, 17 6:51
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know! Thanks! I usually run 80-90 anyway. So I guess I'm wondering what 23c Conti GP4s run at width-wise at 85psi on a 24mm rim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RonanIRL wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Canyons are doing 25% off Zipp 303s and 404s. Do they run narrower than the HEDs?

There are two measurements. First there are the internal measurements. Zipp 404 Firecrest is 16.25mm, while HED JET+ is 21mm. The brake track however is very similar. HED is 25mm and Zipp is 24.73mm

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBriGuy wrote:
My 2016 PR6 has OEM Reynolds Strikes. Having owned the original version of the Strikes years ago, and now having about 8 months on this newer version, I can say definitively that the new Strikes are much improved in overall performance, but particularly in the area of braking and heat buildup. I just returned from a trip out west where I did some fair amount of climbing and descending on roads that were somewhat technical descents, especially on a tri bike. The braking only became an issue once and that was when I overshot a decreasing radius turn and needed to really scrub speed. But mostly it was adequate. By fortune of the weather, I have not had opportunity to ride them extensively in wet conditions.

And that experience lends support to Thomas's statements above. As good as current carbon rim braking is, it is still a long way from the confidence of a good aluminum rim braking. When I had the original Strikes, I also had a set of Hed Alps. If it was wet or if the course was technical at all, I would opt for the Alps. After this trip out west, I think I'll be opting for a pair of Hed aluminum rim wheels again.

Of course, the carbon rim squeal does help tremendously in clearing out the errant pedestrians from the bike lane while descending our local bridge here in Charleston, SC. ;-) So the Strikes have that going for them.

Good to know on that feedback. I might be overly harsh sometimes on other manufacturers but I have bought the majority of my wheels used when I an amatuer and always got great prices compared to new, 50%. Even now as a pro, I have bought new wheels from companies because the real is price is actually so much lower than the sticker price. It is just hard for me to look past companies like Zipp and HED when I get their wheels pretty cheaply. Even last year, I sold a set of ENVE 7.8 SES with full carbon hub and ceramic speed bearings. Raced only a couple of times. I was astonish how hard it was to sell the wheels for $2k. The buyer got a fantastic deal on wheels he had within 7 days. Unless they come on a bike it is tough to shell out for anything but the most respected brands.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
RonanIRL wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

There are two measurements. First there are the internal measurements. Zipp 404 Firecrest is 16.25mm, while HED JET+ is 21mm. The brake track however is very similar. HED is 25mm and Zipp is 24.73mm

Thanks Thomas, that's what I figured. I guess the only way to really know is to try and find someone with the same wheels? I can't find that article on tire choices but will the 23c tire at 85psi be wider on the Zipps or HEDs? I'm usually good at math but it's been a long day!
Quote Reply

Prev Next