Prev Next
PSA: Clifton 1 is returning for a limited time
Quote | Reply
Just got an email from Hoka about this.

https://www.hokaoneone.com/...139b055511658581bee5
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Clifton 1 is returning for a limited time [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your link point to standart home page of their site. Nothing special here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Got 1
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Clifton 1 is returning for a limited time [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
your link point to standart home page of their site. Nothing special here.

Worked fine for me.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Clifton 1 is returning for a limited time [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm routed to Hoka in Europe (I'm in France).

Possibly sold only in US.

Seen pictures in another forum. Doesn't like the look.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoelO wrote:

I've always wondered if Hoka would do this? Think they had some old stock or are they actually remaking the 1st version.

I think I may have to grab a few, as I've been kind of wondering where to go after the Clifton 3.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Clifton 1 is returning for a limited time [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
these are a new release of the OG Clifton 1. I've got them at my store and they look pretty spot on to the original

Sizing feels right, softness underfoot feels right.

Im told these are a one and done and id expect them to go pretty fast

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Clifton 1 is returning for a limited time [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How high is the arch on these- do they cause arch blisters like some later Cliftons?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FF Boots wrote:
these are a new release of the OG Clifton 1. I've got them at my store and they look pretty spot on to the original

I don't buy it... They've changed their manufacturing and midsoles so much that I don't think they can remake it exactly the same but I'm going to try it anyway.

As an aside, if this sells out quickly... WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU NOT CONTINUE MAKING IT!?!?!

Also, great job as a corporation waiting until Nike released a shoe that destroys this one in every way possible. Maybe if they did this 4 years go when we all asked for it, they'd get an even better response.
Last edited by: BrentwoodTriGuy: Oct 17, 18 11:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads-up. Love these shoes, just placed an order.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boots, , any chance they will bring back the original bondi b and mafate? Is this a potential trend for them? My last pairs are on their absolute last legs and i haven't really found anything to match them.
Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Clifton 1 is returning for a limited time [Donjek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd bet against it. This was a classic sales team versus product team with a rare victory for the sales team. Product guys don't like going back 5 years when they feel the updates are better versions.

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FF Boots wrote:
I'd bet against it. This was a classic sales team versus product team with a rare victory for the sales team. Product guys don't like going back 5 years when they feel the updates are better versions.

That's cool; when they changed the Bondis (again) I switched to PegTurbos and FreedomISOs. They can feel the upgrades are better versions all they like, but their midfoot rocker they added to everything wrecks my stride, so I moved on.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FF Boots wrote:

I don't personally know anyone on the dev team but have spoken to a number of them at events and I get the feeling that they know the Clifton 1 was better than the current versions. They keep trying to make shoes even lighter with the same level of softness and we'll never see them come to market because they wear so easily and its not safe for the brand to have people who don't understand that it's a 30 mile shoe complain nonstop online. Basically, the company is making shoes for the DSW/Amazon shopper, not people who race.

**The shoe I'm speaking of was 4.2 ounces and ridiculous. The guy ran 15k in it and the midsole was falling apart. He figured the 10k we were about to run was the end of its life.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Clifton 1 is returning for a limited time [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
JoelO wrote:

I've always wondered if Hoka would do this? Think they had some old stock or are they actually remaking the 1st version.

I think I may have to grab a few, as I've been kind of wondering where to go after the Clifton 3.

Agreed. The Clifton 4 is awful.

I just started running the Hoka Napali. It is pretty much the same as the 3. $109 at Running Warehouse (their exclusive).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone say Clifton?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Clifton 1 is returning for a limited time [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you. I went all in Hoka years ago but then got lost finding the right shoe with the rate of change. Since getting the Pegasus Turbo to train in and I have some Vaporflys I'm afraid to run in besides critical races I am at pain to pay so much for shoes but they are such amazing shoes it's hard to go back to anything else IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Clifton 1 is returning for a limited time [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just out of interest, why does everyone dislike the Clifton 4 so much? I have run in a few pairs and don't mind them at all, however it's my first Hoka experience.

beercity wrote:
natethomas wrote:
JoelO wrote:

Agreed. The Clifton 4 is awful.

I just started running the Hoka Napali. It is pretty much the same as the 3. $109 at Running Warehouse (their exclusive).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FF Boots wrote:
Product guys don't like going back 5 years when they feel the updates are better versions.
Thing is, they're not.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Clifton 1 is returning for a limited time [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Shambolic wrote:
I'm with you. I went all in Hoka years ago but then got lost finding the right shoe with the rate of change. Since getting the Pegasus Turbo to train in and I have some Vaporflys I'm afraid to run in besides critical races I am at pain to pay so much for shoes but they are such amazing shoes it's hard to go back to anything else IMO.

I'm with both you guys! I was a Hoka fanboy witht he Clifton1...had 5 pairs of those, hated the 2s, 3s were ok, 4 despised. I switched to Skechers Ultra Road and Max Road, which are the best Cliftons Hoka never made. Those have been my easy run shoes, with the Vaporflys being the race shoes. BUT, I'll get a pair of the re-issues to see if there's some magic in that ole black hat...
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Clifton 1 is returning for a limited time [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
FF Boots wrote:

I don't buy it... They've changed their manufacturing and midsoles so much that I don't think they can remake it exactly the same but I'm going to try it anyway.

As an aside, if this sells out quickly... WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU NOT CONTINUE MAKING IT!?!?!

Also, great job as a corporation waiting until Nike released a shoe that destroys this one in every way possible. Maybe if they did this 4 years go when we all asked for it, they'd get an even better response.

You really can't say that one shoe destroys another in every possible way. What may be the best shoe for one person can easily be the worst shoe for another.
The other thing to consider is that you can actually purchase the Cliftons right now. There's a lot to be said about a product you can actually buy.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Clifton 1 is returning for a limited time [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I liked the 2's although they were a big change. Have a pair of 3s that I am yet to run in.

Ordered 2 pairs of the re-issued 1's yesterday, let's see what they are like.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Clifton 1 is returning for a limited time [Jhanley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

You really can't say that one shoe destroys another in every possible way. What may be the best shoe for one person can easily be the worst shoe for another.
The other thing to consider is that you can actually purchase the Cliftons right now. There's a lot to be said about a product you can actually buy.[/quote]
Exactly my feelings. As others have said here part of the equation is how long they last. I wear current Cliftons and I prefer them to last a while. Ages ago Nike had the Mayfly and most people who got it expected it to fall apart pretty quickly. The expectations were built into the marketing. Hoka have muddied the water by using the same branding for shoes that do different things. If they wanted to make a very light, fast wearing shoe (which there is obviously a demand for) then it is partly a marketing issue to communicate exactly what people can expect from it and set the expectations. They are in a position now where they can't just u turn, again, on what a Clifton is.

Maybe we can help them with 'Mayfly' type branding. Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Clifton 1 is returning for a limited time [Jhanley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was able to say the same thing about the Vaporfly when I bought two pair. But you’re right, the VP isn’t for everyone and the C1 might be for a lot of people. That’s just not me anymore unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started Hoka at Clifton 3 . . . how does the 1 compare? What about size and fit? Thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply

Prev Next