Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PSA: 40% off Notio sale!
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: 40% off Notio sale! [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any good positive reviews / first hand experience with this unit? looks pretty snazzy.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: 40% off Notio sale! [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The strike through on the $950 shows up for me (in safari on an iPad) as a barely perceptible (after a few looks) thin yellow line and the $570 as so invisible that I thought $950 was the discounted price.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: 40% off Notio sale! [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve been eyeing it for a while. Don’t think this (or any) are ready for “prime time” yet. They’re all progressing but still no one has “real time” CdA available like if you were racing and wanted to get feedback to stay aero. Seems to be a well integrated Chung method - which is great but don’t see the need for this tool to do Chung method.

But I’m anxiously waiting for them to get there!
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: 40% off Notio sale! [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jnags7 wrote:
I’ve been eyeing it for a while. Don’t think this (or any) are ready for “prime time” yet. They’re all progressing but still no one has “real time” CdA available like if you were racing and wanted to get feedback to stay aero. Seems to be a well integrated Chung method - which is great but don’t see the need for this tool to do Chung method.

But I’m anxiously waiting for them to get there!

I don't think you will get live CdA to any reasonable precision (say, <0.01 m2 uncertainty for last 10 sec) for the next 5+ years. Barometer, accelerometer and z axis GPS accuracy is simply too far away to allow for that to happen it seems. Best bet is probably crowdsourcing elevation data for that to happen sooner, but that in turn requires a lot of people to buy units that then crowdsources it, which again is probably not happening for 5+ years...
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: 40% off Notio sale! [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:

I don't think you will get live CdA to any reasonable precision (say, <0.01 m2 uncertainty for last 10 sec) for the next 5+ years. Barometer, accelerometer and z axis GPS accuracy is simply too far away to allow for that to happen it seems..

You nailed the technical challenge.

But I have a different opinion on how long before we see solutions to this :-)
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: 40% off Notio sale! [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not how these devices are made to be used. They're a tool to conduct proper aero testing.

I'm cautious about sensors that are unable to test yaw. If wind direction changes at all during your testing, CdA will change, which is why you test different yaw angles in the wind tunnel. Without yaw data, you have no idea whether what you're testing is better or worse, or if the wind change made the difference.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: 40% off Notio sale! [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
That's not how these devices are made to be used. They're a tool to conduct proper aero testing.

I'm cautious about sensors that are unable to test yaw. If wind direction changes at all during your testing, CdA will change, which is why you test different yaw angles in the wind tunnel. Without yaw data, you have no idea whether what you're testing is better or worse, or if the wind change made the difference.
I think there are ways to determine whether what you're testing is better or worse in the absence of yaw data, but they require some additional control to make up for that.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: 40% off Notio sale! [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the Notio measure yaw or no? If not, would using it in a low-yaw environment like a track give better data?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: 40% off Notio sale! [chewg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Notio does not, do not think, but aerolab does? I could be wrong.
Quote Reply