Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PRP treatment anyone?
Quote | Reply
Hi,
Has anyone in the Slowtwitch community had PRP done for an injury? Specifically for upper hamstring tendonitis/glue tendonitis? This is a very old, very frustrating injury that has and has not responded to PT, dry needing, graston, etc, etc. Just wondering about anyone's experience with PRP.
Thanks!
KK
Quote Reply
Re: PRP treatment anyone? [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should be asking Google Scholar, not ST. This is the main paper you should read which summarizes the evidence for and against, and make your decisions accordingly.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC5632954/

Abstract
Within orthopedics, the use of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) has been rapidly increasing in popularity, however, its true effectiveness has yet to be fully established. Several studies find that injecting PRP to the site of injury does not provide any significant benefit with respect to clinical outcomes; however, many others report the contrary. Due to the conflicting evidence and multiple meta-analyses conducted on the topic, a literature review of high-quality evidence on the use of PRP for common orthopaedic conditions was performed. Thus far, the evidence appears to suggest that PRP may provide some benefit in patients who present with knee osteoarthritis or lateral epicondylitis. On the other hand, evidence appears to be inconsistent or shows a minimal benefit for PRP usage in rotator cuff repair, patellar and Achilles tendinopathies, hamstring injuries, anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) repair, and medial epicondylitis. There is limited confidence in the conclusions from the published meta-analyses due to issues with statistical pooling, and limited subgroup analyses exploring the substantial heterogeneity across studies. Evidence-based clinicians considering the use of PRP in their patients with musculoskeletal injuries should be weary that the literature appears to be inconsistent and thus far, inconclusive.
Last edited by: wintershade: Aug 2, 18 14:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had it done for an Achilles injury after months of frustration with PT, rest, saline injections, etc.
I will say that the procedure was incredibly painful and was initially a step back in terms function but that it did work for me. It was combined with EPAT treatment for several weeks afterwards. Took a while but I am a fan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
had it for high hamstring tendonopathy, didnt work, i dont know how you tell if it does work since you arent supposed to do much for a month after, so maybe not doing anything for a month worked for people
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey,

1st of all I'm not a Doctor, I suffered from this for 2.5 years, I stopped running etc. Did all sorts of massage, ART, etc., all of this did not work. Before I tell you what worked for me, let me say I'm back to about 95%, I can run intervals, hills etc. My run is not 100%, but close. The Doctors told me I would never be competitive again, with that said I placed 6th, and 3rd in 70.3's this year. So there is hope. I ran 50 miles last week, with lots of hills and intervals, and minimal pain.

Here's what worked, I started about 16 months ago with light hamstring curls laying down, the swiss ball exercises, and some one legged bridges. You want to start real light on the weight and progress to heavy weights on the curl machine, this should take 6 months or so to get to heavy weights. At 1st I did not notice any change, but it slowly started to go away after about 12 months. It takes ALONG time to heal, and YOU HAVE to stick with the exercises. I only did them 3x per week, with 3 sets of 10 reps.

This works, you just have to stick with it, you will have flare ups, and there will be pain. I would run on it, just don't make it worse, run easy and progress slowly.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, this injury about made me crazy!!! The biggest mistake I made was not sticking with the rehab plan, and stopping running.

I feel like I could give some good motivation speeches on the topic. hahaha...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gluteal tendinopathy (on the trochanter) is pretty easy to get rid of. High hamstring tendinopathy is often slower, like M&M posted below. Whichever one you got: DONT INJECT IT. Not with anything. Not even 'dry needles'. It's at best useless and painful and at worst actually making damage.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a doctor. I had a persistent tendon injury near the ankle that refused to heal for approximately five months. I couldn't stand for more than about ten minutes without excruciating pain. Starting about three months ago, I had two PRP procedures about six weeks apart, and now I am finally 90% healed. I also expect further improvement. I understand that others disagree, but it seems to have worked for my injury.
Quote Reply