Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PRP injections for chronic mystery knee problem
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

I'm a 52 year old from London. I'm primarily a runner (1:27 HM time) but also do tris, and completed my first 70.3 in Cascais in 2019. Hoping to return to the distance in Estonia this year.

I posted a few months ago about Hylauronic acid injections for a chronic knee issue that’s now been bothering me for ten months or so – thanks to all who replied. In the end, I didn’t receive them as the ortho worried they may cause a joint flare.

Since then I’ve seen a sports medicine Dr who’s highly regarded and was recommended personally by a physio friend with with no ulterior motives. He’s suggested trying a leucocyte-poor PRP injection, with the caveat that it may not work. If it does, he’d suggest a second. So I thought I’d now see if any STers with knee issues have experience – positive or negative with PRP.

Has it helped you? And what is the recovery time? Obviously, I say this with usual caveat that no one can diagnose me virtually – everyone’s experience is unique.

Quick background. Living in NYC in 2006, I overtrained for the Philadelphia Marathon and developed some mild but persistent knee pain. MRIs were clear. However, I was talked into 'exploratory' knee surgery because 'MRIs don't show everything'. Under the knife, I was given a plica removal and small partial meniscectomy. The surgeon assured me I'd be on my feet for an intensive job three weeks later, that I didn't need physio, that I'd be doing a tri three months later, and that - whatever happened - I wouldn't be in greater pain after the procedure.

He left me unable to walk, with severe pain and swelling, and washed his hands of me once he'd collected my insurance money. I required a second operation six months later to remove scar tissue that locked my knee, and it took 8 months of intensive physio to return to even gentle running.

That was a massive success. I've never run a marathon since, but I've returned to all other distances, needing only maintenance physio to keep my leg strong, and I as I say, did a 70.3 in 2019.

Last July I woke in the middle of the night with deep, throbbing medial joint line pain. Running was ok at first, but I soon found that I'd have sharp, stabbing medial pains an hour or so after training. These pains then started bothering me on the run itself, and I had to stop for a month. The down pedal stroke on the bike became painful.

My immediate thought was that I'd finally succumbed to the dreaded post op arthritis - but two MRIs and two opinions from excellent Drs have shown that while my knee cartilage is far from pristine and I have some small chondral defects, it's in good shape for my age and activity level, and that there shouldn't be any reason I can't train or compete. My meniscectomy was apparently (thankfully) very small.

I've now done 10 months of physio. I've tried everything suggested – and while I can run, I have regular ongoing sharp medial pains during the run and after, have no confidence increasing my intensity, and night pains continue to disrupt my sleep.

As I mentioned, HA was discussed, but not given. That ortho sent me on my way saying I’d be fine long term. But I know this knee, and I’m far from fine – so I’ve ended up at the sports Dr who suggested PRP (with the caveat that it wasn’t a magic bullet.) He also said I may have chronic medial compartment overload and nerve sensitivity, and suggested amitriptyline to reduce this response.

If you read this far – thanks!  I’m basically wondering whether PRP has helped those with meniscal/chondral issues in their knee, or has made you worse/made no improvement? I know the scientific evidence is increasingly positive for PRP, but seemingly not yet conclusive.

And how long did you hold off activities afterwards? The sports Dr has said I should rest for between 4-6 days, but otherwise can live life as normal.

However, other recovery protocols I’ve read have said no running or heavy physio for as long as three months post injection. I’m adopting a dog 8 days after the proposed first injection date, so really need to be able to walk without issues!

Hope you’re all doing well – thanks for any insights.

Cheers, Will
Quote Reply
Re: PRP injections for chronic mystery knee problem [Lndntriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anecdotally I have 3 friends in their 60s-70s who have each tried PRP injections for stubborn knee pain in the last 3 years or so. Sadly, none of them has experienced improvement.
Quote Reply
Re: PRP injections for chronic mystery knee problem [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. That's sad to hear, but not surprising. PrP and other injections seem to often be marketed as a miracle solution.

But that doesn't exist, and at least the Sports Dr I spoke to was very honest and realistic on that front....
Quote Reply
Re: PRP injections for chronic mystery knee problem [Lndntriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another anecdote here from slowtwitch. We've had 2-3 members talk about their miracle knee injections. None of them have come back here to tell us it helped them resolve their issues.
Quote Reply
Re: PRP injections for chronic mystery knee problem [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - well if I have the injections I'll report back as well. Just keeping fingers firmly crossed that they don't make me worse.

I think the moral of my story for anyone - athlete or not - is to stay as far as possible from rogue orthopaedic surgeons, especially in the profit driven US healthcare system, and always, always get a second opinion on any procedure suggested. Since my experience I've heard so many horror stories.

I look back at what my first surgeon in NYC promised now (including being back at a job that required me to be on my feet for over 12 hours a day only three weeks post surgery) and I'm just astonished both that he had the gall to lie to me so brazenly, and that was I so naive as to believe him.

He's still practising - I'd be happy to share his name via PM with anyone considering surgery in NY.
Quote Reply