Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
mickison wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
anthonypat wrote:
not who you asked, but I had the POC for a day....way way too tight to get on for my medium sized head. My old Bell Javelin was easier to get on. The Smith is super comfy, though not had a chance to ride with it.

I went in to the wind tunnel last year with the P9, an old recalled one that isn't as large because they made it bigger with the recall. It tested fastest for me on the day. I went in with a Giro Aerohead that I purchased anyway last year because I truly believe Giro did their homework even thought clearly the P9 was fastest for me. I haven't looked at the results yet but during the actually runs after I wore the Aerohead versus the P9 on Wednesday Brian said it wasn't even close and was 10 watts. I'll have to look deeper into the data but I don't know how anybody doesn't go with the Giro Aerohead at this point. It tests nearly fast on everyone and that is both in a tunnel and track. Seeing Brian walk out of the testing room with confidence it was clear the Aerohead had just crushed the P9 which was already fast for me.

Aerohead was 10 watts faster than P9? That seems like a significant amount. For the aerohead, did they fix the issue with the visor rubbing on people's noses or is that just a fit issue for some people.

It could be hyperbole, I have to look at the actual data but the giro aerohead is small and the p9 is a medium. The fit issues is probably just a fit issue for certain heads, I haven't heard to much about that myself.

okay. I'll be interested. I have the P9. Not that I'm a speedster but if it actually was something like 10 watts that seems significant. I'm probably fine with the P9. I like the looks of the aerohead better.
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
mickison wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
anthonypat wrote:
not who you asked, but I had the POC for a day....way way too tight to get on for my medium sized head. My old Bell Javelin was easier to get on. The Smith is super comfy, though not had a chance to ride with it.

I went in to the wind tunnel last year with the P9, an old recalled one that isn't as large because they made it bigger with the recall. It tested fastest for me on the day. I went in with a Giro Aerohead that I purchased anyway last year because I truly believe Giro did their homework even thought clearly the P9 was fastest for me. I haven't looked at the results yet but during the actually runs after I wore the Aerohead versus the P9 on Wednesday Brian said it wasn't even close and was 10 watts. I'll have to look deeper into the data but I don't know how anybody doesn't go with the Giro Aerohead at this point. It tests nearly fast on everyone and that is both in a tunnel and track. Seeing Brian walk out of the testing room with confidence it was clear the Aerohead had just crushed the P9 which was already fast for me.

Aerohead was 10 watts faster than P9? That seems like a significant amount. For the aerohead, did they fix the issue with the visor rubbing on people's noses or is that just a fit issue for some people.

It could be hyperbole, I have to look at the actual data but the giro aerohead is small and the p9 is a medium. The fit issues is probably just a fit issue for certain heads, I haven't heard to much about that myself.

okay. I'll be interested. I have the P9. Not that I'm a speedster but if it actually was something like 10 watts that seems significant. I'm probably fine with the P9. I like the looks of the aerohead better.

Helmets is one of those things that is very individual regardless. Without actually testing in the wind tunnel, field testing etc, it is just dart throwing. The P9 was the helmet that tested fast on a lot of people which is why I went with originally - this was many years before the Aerohead. The Aerohead is testing faster now than the P9 for the majority of people. It is solid recommendation suggesting the Aerohead. You might be wrong occasionally, but you are going to be more right than wrong over the long run.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [fastskiguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fastskiguy wrote:
Any update on the trip and how it tested?

You're fast enough already, just buy it. It's a gorgeous helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas, did you say you had a small giro and a medium LG?
I have a medium p09 and wondering if I should get a small aerohead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's part of my issue with the aerohead; fit around the nose. It is so well fitted that it surrounds my nose to the point I can't farmer blow! Haha. Or, I can but it blasts back inside the visor. The constant post ocean swim drip isn't fun.

The aerohead visor is handy to have flipped up in transisition, and also useable on long hills...flip it up and start climbing!
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [Tom_Hughes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_Hughes wrote:
Thomas, did you say you had a small giro and a medium LG?
I have a medium p09 and wondering if I should get a small aerohead.

I have a tweener head. I wonder if I could fit a small p09 as well. The medium given it is large size and heavy weight I found myself having to ratchet the dial down as far as it would go and then it would still move. I am getting crazy light as well, much lighter than last year so I am not sure how much that has to do with it. Regardless, when I bought the medium it was the only helmet available on day 1 and that is what I bought. I have a medium as well that I have to now sell. But yes, the small is very small. It is a tight squeeze.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
fastskiguy wrote:

You're fast enough already, just buy it. It's a gorgeous helmet.

Well it is a fine looking helmet that's for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
SBRcoffee wrote:
Wish it weren't so ugly!

do you like it better than the P9? I can't say I like the looks of the P9. I haven't seen the aerohead in person

I think the p09 is way better looking, but I owned one and did not find it comfortable.
I do find the cerebel comfortable, but may just go with a Scott cadence this year. I'm MOP and 30 seconds here or there won't matter.
The Smith looks cool, but over 400+tax here in Canada...
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
fastskiguy wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
I hope it tests well, I'm going into the tunnel next Friday.

I'm hoping to get in next week.

Any tunnel updates on the Podium?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am scheduled to go in next Wed., promise to provide the results!

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And I am back from the tunnel! I will post the data when I have it but the Smith Podium tested 25g less drag for me then the Aerohead.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can't wait to hear the info...I have a new Podium ready to dance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@thomasgerlach - Take this into the aero tunnel for real!

https://www.amazon.com/...s=aerodynamic+helmet
Last edited by: lightheir: May 10, 17 19:41
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just recently bought a POC and will be doing my first races with it next weekend. So far I havent dont a long enough ride to really tell you much. But I will say if you look down while in aero position sometimes the wind will catch the vents and make a howling noise.
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
mickison wrote:
SBRcoffee wrote:
Wish it weren't so ugly!

do you like it better than the P9? I can't say I like the looks of the P9. I haven't seen the aerohead in person

I think the p09 is way better looking, but I owned one and did not find it comfortable.
I do find the cerebel comfortable, but may just go with a Scott cadence this year. I'm MOP and 30 seconds here or there won't matter.
The Smith looks cool, but over 400+tax here in Canada...

I agree with the P9 not being particularly comfortable. Not terrible but I don't like it on the ears. I got the Giro Aerohead on the recent CleverTraining 20% discount. I've only tried the Aerohead on but it feels more comfortable since the shield wraps around and nothing is closed close to your ears. I'm taking the Aerohead for a ride this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
And I am back from the tunnel! I will post the data when I have it but the Smith Podium tested 25g less drag for me then the Aerohead.

Hmm, maybe I should pull my Podium back off the classifieds. My head is a little taller than average and I just felt like the ear flaps could have come down a little lower than they do on the Podium. It's not like my Javelin where everything is all-in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, here are the results. They are VERY close so you likely can't go wrong with either but we do have a lot more individual testing results on the Giro then the Podium. Even Aaron at FASTER has seen the Aerohead test very well for a lot of different riders.

Team ZOOT
Last edited by: Bryancd: May 11, 17 14:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
OK, here are the results. They are VERY close so you likely can't go wrong with either but we do have a lot more individual testing results on the Giro then the Podium. Even Aaron at FASTER has seen the Aerohead test very well for a lot of different riders.

Thanks for the follow-up!

Even though everything is super individual, it's nice to know that the Podium is likely not a brick in the aero world. It's a gorgeous helmet and the lenses are superb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ever tested with a Cerebel?
I think the Smith looks great, but as the above poster mentioned, I'm not sure I'd be happy with it not coming down all the way over the ears. The Cerebel goes all the way over the ears..
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
The POC is surprisingly well ventilated despite its appearance. Certainly better ventilated than the Aerohead.

I've ordered a POC. I was a little ambivalent because I feel my Bontrager Ballista is doing a fine job in race, though the ventilation, in my opinion, isn't amazing (compared to a, say, Sworks Prevail helmet), paired with some Oakley EVZero Path glasses. My primary interest is better visibility. Even though the EVZero's are rimless, with my head pretty low, I have to position the glasses just right and if I hit a bump, they slip a tad. A helmet with a visor may allow me to keep my head low in a manner that I hope will feel safer.

thoughts with regard to visibility with the POC vs standard helmet and glasses?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. My eyeball WT says you appear to look down quite a bit so your position doesn't do the Aerohead any favors. I think the Aerohead is more effective when the airfoil shape of the visor is more exposed to the wind. With your position the visor is mostly hidden behind the brim of the helmet. I would guess the Kask and POC would also work well on you.
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
The POC is surprisingly well ventilated despite its appearance. Certainly better ventilated than the Aerohead.

I've ordered a POC. I was a little ambivalent because I feel my Bontrager Ballista is doing a fine job in race, though the ventilation, in my opinion, isn't amazing (compared to a, say, Sworks Prevail helmet), paired with some Oakley EVZero Path glasses. My primary interest is better visibility. Even though the EVZero's are rimless, with my head pretty low, I have to position the glasses just right and if I hit a bump, they slip a tad. A helmet with a visor may allow me to keep my head low in a manner that I hope will feel safer.

thoughts with regard to visibility with the POC vs standard helmet and glasses?

Funny enough I train wearing my Ballista and a pair of EV Zeros and experience the same thing. I often end up having the edge of the glasses be right where I'm trying to look (truth be told I can actually see the a bit of the leading edge of the helmet too).

I don't recall how the POC fared specifically (I'm away from home otherwise I'd go check for you) but the visibility from my Aerohead is superb.
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep, the front edge of the Ballista obstructs my vision a tad; I have to position it tilted back a tad. I'm hoping the POC Cerebel resolves those issues.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chiming in with my n = 1.

Coming from S-Works TT. Fit was a little bit too loose/wrong shape for my head so it would rotate forward into my vision during the race. Ordered the Aerohead and Podium. Aerohead had similar loose fit to S-Work TT, Podium fit perfectly. Love Smith ski helmets and googles, they always fit well. Podium TT helmet is no different. Excellent visor too. Raced the Podium last weekend, hot and humid but it was a surprising cool helmet. Best compliment a helmet can get in my mind is that you forget about it, which the Podium certainly achieved. It makes a slight whistle when you stick the tail up but that was a perfect reminder to keep the head down.

I'm happy with it and would recommend as a worthwhile try on. $100 more than the Aerohead but comes with two visors, case and Smith warranty.
Last edited by: JTolandTRI: Jun 29, 17 17:18
Quote Reply

Prev Next