Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
I just ordered the Smith Podium, full disclosure they are a sponsor, and should have it shortly. I plan on taking it into the tunnel at FASTER and compare it to my Giro Aerohead which did test better for me vs the LP-09.

Nice! Please share the results after testing. Which helmet color did you get?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also ordered a Smith Podium TT Helmet this weekend. I'm pretty stoked about it. It looks like a really solid helmet.

Bryancd wrote:
I just ordered the Smith Podium, full disclosure they are a sponsor, and should have it shortly. I plan on taking it into the tunnel at FASTER and compare it to my Giro Aerohead which did test better for me vs the LP-09.
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

Black

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ended up ordering mine in black as well. I can't wait to use it.

Bryancd wrote:
mwanner1 wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

Black
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a related note, anyone put some time in with a Catlike Rapid Tri?
Asked a few months ago, but not many had at that time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:

How is the fit on the Podium? Is it for oval or round heads? I bounce around between medium and large in aero helmets and there's no way to buy a Smith locally and actually try it before buying. A medium Aerohead came on and off fine when trying it on, but I was definitely a large for my old Advantage 2 and Bell Javelin helmets. The medium Aerohead fit nice, but you see them everywhere now and until I get serious enough to test, I'm okay buying a helmet based on looks.
Last edited by: dangle: Apr 6, 17 12:51
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You seem to own every helmet !

I was thinking about dropping my kask bambino which i like for the aerohead

I ride with my head down a lot even in IM - do you think it's worth it or is it really guess work without testing ?

Thanks Steve
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
On a related note, anyone put some time in with a Catlike Rapid Tri?
Asked a few months ago, but not many had at that time.

Actually i did, and as a shop owner i can try a lot of helmets. I like it much more then the aerohead which feels not only heavier although the actual weight difference is not that bif, but the aerohead is way too hot for me. The rapid tri has a very nice, at least for me, fit. Really comfy and i like that the lens is slightly further away from the face. The rounded shape allows a lot of looking down. I also own a LG vortice and uses that most of the time, but i might go for the rapid tri for this season. Also nice it comes with 2 lenses and a solid case to keep it safe during travel.

Jeroen
Tri-Run.com

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

How is the fit on the Podium? Is it for oval or round heads? I bounce around between medium and large in aero helmets and there's no way to buy a Smith locally and actually try it before buying. A medium Aerohead came on and off fine when trying it on, but I was definitely a large for my old Advantage 2 and Bell Javelin helmets. The medium Aerohead fit nice, but you see them everywhere now and until I get serious enough to test, I'm okay buying a helmet based on looks.

Fit's better then the Arrowhead for me in a large, it go's on easier and is much more comfortable. I hope it tests well, I'm going into the tunnel next Friday.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Fit's better then the Arrowhead for me in a large, it go's on easier and is much more comfortable. I hope it tests well, I'm going into the tunnel next Friday.

Just to verify, you wear a large in both the Aerohead and Podium?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:

Any update on the trip and how it tested?
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [fastskiguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fastskiguy wrote:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...d_Tunnel.._P6284204/
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [fastskiguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fastskiguy wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

I'm hoping to get in next week. Aaron at FASTER said if the Giro tested better the the LG for me, it will likely be faster then the Podium but I want to make sure as I like the Podium better.

Team ZOOT
Last edited by: Bryancd: Apr 21, 17 6:50
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Sir!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ever tried on a POC Cerebel? If yes, could you compare the fit to the Smith?
Thx!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not who you asked, but I had the POC for a day....way way too tight to get on for my medium sized head. My old Bell Javelin was easier to get on. The Smith is super comfy, though not had a chance to ride with it.
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
not who you asked, but I had the POC for a day....way way too tight to get on for my medium sized head. My old Bell Javelin was easier to get on. The Smith is super comfy, though not had a chance to ride with it.

I went in to the wind tunnel last year with the P9, an old recalled one that isn't as large because they made it bigger with the recall. It tested fastest for me on the day. I went in with a Giro Aerohead that I purchased anyway last year because I truly believe Giro did their homework even thought clearly the P9 was fastest for me. I haven't looked at the results yet but during the actually runs after I wore the Aerohead versus the P9 on Wednesday Brian said it wasn't even close and was 10 watts. I'll have to look deeper into the data but I don't know how anybody doesn't go with the Giro Aerohead at this point. It tests nearly fast on everyone and that is both in a tunnel and track. Seeing Brian walk out of the testing room with confidence it was clear the Aerohead had just crushed the P9 which was already fast for me.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about for those who are sensitive to heat (I think you are not in this category)? The P9, especially when used *without* the visor, is on the cooler side of aero helmets. Aerohead reviews seem to consistently report that it is a relatively warm helmet. Also, there really isn't an option to run the Aerohead without the visor in order to increase air flow to the forehead for cooling. Again, maybe not an issue for many racers, but for some, the warmth factor may have them hesitate on the Aerohead.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
What about for those who are sensitive to heat (I think you are not in this category)? The P9, especially when used *without* the visor, is on the cooler side of aero helmets. Aerohead reviews seem to consistently report that it is a relatively warm helmet. Also, there really isn't an option to run the Aerohead without the visor in order to increase air flow to the forehead for cooling. Again, maybe not an issue for many racers, but for some, the warmth factor may have them hesitate on the Aerohead.

I will admit the P9 is a cool helmet (feeling) when ran with shades. I have never worn it with the visor but I can imagine it is also hot. Heat is a real issue but it is way more of an issue on the run and frankly the sooner you can get to the run in a 70.3 the lower the sun will be and the cooler it should be. If you get to hot you can always flip the visor around for some extra ventilation. One of the things I knew people might be interested was how much slower it was w/o the visor and I tested that on Wednesday as well. Haven't look at the data but it was slower for usre

Lastly, I do seem to be less affected by the hot and the Aerohead was hot hot hot at Cozumel but still manageable. But this is all perception too. The reality of testing by Crowie is that perception and actual core temperature are two different things. You might feel like you are cooking your melon but if you core temp doesn't rise it is all perception. Perception can affect other things I believe but more mental then anything.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had an athlete test this.... visor up was worse than visor off very slightly, on par with the spec evade.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
Had an athlete test this.... visor up was worse than visor off very slightly, on par with the spec evade.

That is probably the case. I tested the visor off because in triathlon frankly I like to keep it up to put the helmet on then flip it down after I get going. In addition if it starts raining or gets foggy it is also nice to be able to put it up there. I wouldn't leave it off specifically altogether. This helmet is really clear the shield was truly designed as a system with the helmet shell.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
anthonypat wrote:

I went in to the wind tunnel last year with the P9, an old recalled one that isn't as large because they made it bigger with the recall. It tested fastest for me on the day. I went in with a Giro Aerohead that I purchased anyway last year because I truly believe Giro did their homework even thought clearly the P9 was fastest for me. I haven't looked at the results yet but during the actually runs after I wore the Aerohead versus the P9 on Wednesday Brian said it wasn't even close and was 10 watts. I'll have to look deeper into the data but I don't know how anybody doesn't go with the Giro Aerohead at this point. It tests nearly fast on everyone and that is both in a tunnel and track. Seeing Brian walk out of the testing room with confidence it was clear the Aerohead had just crushed the P9 which was already fast for me.

Aerohead was 10 watts faster than P9? That seems like a significant amount. For the aerohead, did they fix the issue with the visor rubbing on people's noses or is that just a fit issue for some people.
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wish it weren't so ugly!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
Wish it weren't so ugly!

do you like it better than the P9? I can't say I like the looks of the P9. I haven't seen the aerohead in person
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
anthonypat wrote:

Aerohead was 10 watts faster than P9? That seems like a significant amount. For the aerohead, did they fix the issue with the visor rubbing on people's noses or is that just a fit issue for some people.

It could be hyperbole, I have to look at the actual data but the giro aerohead is small and the p9 is a medium. The fit issues is probably just a fit issue for certain heads, I haven't heard to much about that myself.

Quote Reply

Prev Next