Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PLASMA, WADA, & COVID 19
Quote | Reply
So from a little bit of research it looks like donating plasma is prohibited if in competition. However, I'm not able to find a time period associated with how long between an event and the donation on WADA's webpage. Does anyone know if there is one?

I guess the reason I ask is that I'm hearing about recovered COVID 19 patients and people with antibodies donating plasma. Would USAT/WTC/UST&F grant a waiver if someone could show that they were donating specifically for the pandemic. I'm really not talking about pros but FOP AG's.

I'll use myself for an example. Right now the only race still on my "calender" is Augusta 70.3 for this year. I'm usually FOP and if the race occurred (which I think is unlikely) I would be prepared and hoping to pick up a slot to the 2021 WC in St. George. This isn't an unrealistic goal because I've done the race the past 2 times it was in the US. However, I've thought about getting an antibody test in the next few weeks and if it came back that I did have the antibodies, the only thing that would leave me with concern on donating plasma is being able to race "clean" at Augusta in September in a race which may or may not occur. It would be great if I knew that if the donation didn't occur within a 60 day period of the event, it would be a non-issue.
Quote Reply
Re: PLASMA, WADA, & COVID 19 [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can you point to the rules that indicate the donation of plasma is prohibited in competition with respect to WADA? maybe some web links? I am curious to understand how that might apply to plasma donation as well?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steroids, T, AICAR, and EPO are all fine, I’m sure donating plasma to save some lives is OK too

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're looking for recovered patients with a bonafide Covid-19 diagnosis, not simply those with antibodies.
Quote Reply
Re: PLASMA, WADA, & COVID 19 [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The donation of plasma is banned due to you being given saline to make up the lost blood volume.
The saline bag will give you the same small plastic bits that are present as you get from any other bag based blood transfusion, so they cannot tell what product you were injecting (like extra blood bags, for instance), therefore all transfusions are banned, which includes saline, which means you cannot give plasma without being in violation of the WADA code.

(And then I did a basic search, here you go)
https://www.wada-ama.org/en/questions-answers/prohibited-list-qa#item-381

[quote=WADA]
3. IS PLASMAPHERESIS PROHIBITED?UP
The status of plasmapheresis is different for plasma donors and recipients:
  • For the plasma donor, plasmapheresis is prohibited under section M1.1 because the donor’s own red blood cells (and other blood components) are being reintroduced back into their own circulatory system after the plasma or blood components have been separated outside of the person’s body.
  • For the plasma recipient, who is receiving plasma from a different donor, plasmapheresis is not prohibited under M1.1 or M1.3 as the patient receives only plasma, but not whole blood or red blood cells. For the plasma recipient, plasmapheresis would only be prohibited under M2.2 if it is not legitimately received in the course of hospital treatment when the volume is more than 100 mL per 12 hour period.

[/quote]

Also, as the process for plasma donation is to extract whole blood, stick it through a centrifuge, skim the plasma, then return the rest (with saline, as previous) it does break the basic tenet of "no blood in/out outside of a hospital"
ASADA write up here
https://www.asada.gov.au/...-and-hospital-visits
Blood donation is not an emergency.
Quote Reply
Re: PLASMA, WADA, & COVID 19 [PeterP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I donated plasma 2 days ago for Covid treatment at the NY blood center and they required a positive test OR positive antibody test. You needed to show test results as proof.

Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, "Would an idiot do that?" And if they would, I do not do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go donate your plasma. By the time you race your blood chemistry will be normal. In fact it's normal within a week or so. Red Cross called me up asking for a donation, which is funny in a sense, they are actually pretty slammed. But they are desperately trying to fill every appointment they have. We had a blood shortage before COVID-19, I'm sure it's worse.

And somehow if you got an adverse result in your urine months from now because of this you could break these dudes in half with litigation.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply