Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
P90X = Very Cool
Quote | Reply
So I am in my 3rd week of doing the P90X workout videos. I have to say I thought I was in pretty good shape until I actually did the videos. The first week was pretty brutal. The 2nd week I started getting all the routines down. Now in my 3rd week, I am really loving the routines. I am at the point were I can start to push it. The Kenpo X is awesome. I can tell I am already getting more flexible. The one workout that still is a killer is the Ab Ripper (15 minutes of abs). I haven't been able yet to get through the whole 15 minutes without taking a break or two.

IMO many triathletes should be doing something like this over the winter.

If you have any questions ask away.
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"IMO many triathletes should be doing something like this over the winter."

Why?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it last winter and started doing it again for the off season this past weekend.. so sore today.

It is a great way to help get through the winter..
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Why? "

Because fitness can be more than just about swimming, cycling and running?
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Because fitness can be more than just about swimming, cycling and running?"

Well, that's very existential of you, but doesn't really answer the question of why many triathletes should be doing it.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by lschmidt [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because we are not pros and we enjoy looking good and not like sticks. Or so my fiancee says
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is WTC adding pullups now? WTF

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Why?”

Because the economy is still pretty bad and even the Orthopedists need the money….
+++++++++++++

Born again Heathen
In Case of Keith Moon - Break This Glass
Ironman Certified Coach
USAT Certified Coach
Precision Nutrition Certified
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds suspiciously like weight training which, as the collective ST wisdom will tell you, is an absolute waste of time.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" why many triathletes should be doing it. "

Maybe you'll enter an arm wrestling contest one night and those endurance cyclist/runners arm muscles just won't cut it.

Or you could be over 55 and wanting to slow down the loss of muscle mass that occurs as we age.
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Dec 13, 10 19:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Ab ripper"

'nuff said right there.
Last edited by: Tapeworm: Dec 13, 10 19:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a better way to phrase your last statement would be "I think triathletes who aren't solely concerned with their tri-specific fitness" or something along those lines. I've been down the same road you are on right now with regards to weight training/P90x/Crossfit/etc. discussions on this forum. Been blasted by Paulo and others but I probably fall into the same category as you. I don't get paid to do triathlons. I don't have the running ability of Paulo, Jordan, BarryP, or any other rabbits on here. Never have, never will. Could probably beat any of them in a 100m race any day of the week but triathlon runs aren't 100m. I know that a 10:30 IM would be excellent for me and probably be above my genetic potential and/or above my willingness to put in that amount of tri work. Paulo and Jordan probably wouldn't want to get in the water if they felt like they would cross the line in 10:30. This argument will never die. I simply choose to lift weights b/c I like being physically strong. It is something that, when I need it for my job, I need it. No amount of SBR will help me in those situations. Same thing with my Jiu-Jitsu training. I can lift weights all day long but that doesn't translate 100% to the same strength on the mat. Sport-specific training is and always will be the best way to excel at a specific sport. GPP, as offered by Crossfit or P90X to some extent, is great for the average person who doesn't have anything to train for and simply wants to be fit. But P90x and Crossfit don't make you SBR faster. I would imagine that those who see gains in improvement from weight training in the SBR times are seeing it b/c of recovery time away from the SBR but not b/c of the weight training. For you and I, and others on this forum, it may seem strange that someone would not want to be able to do a few pull-ups but those same people who aren't spending time in the gym are probably putting in more SBR training than we are and probably have better times. You simply need to be able to decide what trade-off you are willing to accept.
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Maybe you'll enter an arm wrestling contest one night and those endurance cyclist/runners arm muscles just won't cut it."

More likely that I'll enter a triathlon contest one day and those beach muscles just won't help.

Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [rareid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who said Paulo can run?

Eric - "Train Smart, Race Smart, Finish Strong"
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [ejchet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Who said Paulo can run?

I know his best IM time and I know my best IM time. Compared to me...he can run long distance much better than I can.
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [Tapeworm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why?

1. Because you will will become more flexible, which most triathletes could use more of.
2. Because it works your core, which most triathletes could use more of.
3. Because it works on your balance and coordination. Always a plus.
4. Because it is a change of pace from the daily swim, bike, run.
5. Because most triathletes could use some strength training.
6. Because it saves you time, since you can workout from home.
7. Because it saves you money over a gym membership.
8. Because if you do the program, you will be in better overall shape than when you began (Flexibility, Core, Strength...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Why?

I'd say there's a pretty sizable portion of the endurance community that could stand to lose a bit of body fat and train themselves to eat correctly.

If you're interested in doing either of those, then P90X is a good fit for you.

I speak from personal experience.

My before pic:

My after picture:

Last edited by: nicetri!: Dec 13, 10 19:55
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [nicetri!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn,

That is a pretty big difference. Way to go.

So your cat did the program as well. :)

Last edited by: TRI: Dec 13, 10 20:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you need any advice or encouragement, consider me a resource!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did anyone else LOL at the cat creepin' in the background of BOTH pictures!? hahahah

Good job though. I've done several P90x workouts and they are no joke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mirror my son's change in physique. P90X is an amazing system.

Quote | Reply
My wife as been doing it for several months. Looks like a great workout to me. Keep with it.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Damn,

That is a pretty big difference. Way to go.

So your cat did the program as well. :)

Thanks! I needed a good laugh before I went to bed.

To the guy who posted his before and after pics, great job!

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
didn't know your opinion was universal to everybody. multisport is about being the fittest athlete you can. i like having the strength that endurance training doesn't offer. that isn't such a ridiculous idea is it?
Quote Reply

Prev Next