Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"That isn't bad, won't cover the R&D. "

it's february.

People just don't want it to succeed. Buy the bike that makes you happy.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short course or TTs: P5
Long Course: Ventum

P5X? Never. It's hideous in person and in terms of "storage integration" I much prefer the idea of a bta and Ventum's bottle and then putting my flat kit and any other miscellaneous stuff behind the saddle. Personally I would have bought a Ventum (still might) if it weren't for the front end and the horizontal dropouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ventum. Just bought one for my wife (full disclosure). Her previous bike was a pretty tricked out P3 and she's definitely faster on the Ventum.

Plus, its such an easy bike to work on, makes my life easier!

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since neither manufacturer has released an actual wind tunnel report (to my knowledge):

Ventum, cause it looks cooler.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andreasjs wrote:
Which bike would you rather own and why?

Neither. Get the Andean. Best of both worlds and Slowman and Rappstar ride one!

Quote Reply
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can fit any handlebars you like to the Ventum if you do not like our standard set up. As for cleaning up the gap between stem and bottle we have some items coming soon.

Would love you to ride a Ventum and see what it's like.

JImmy Seear
Co-Founder Ventum
http://www.ventumracing.com
Quote Reply
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:
I feel like I am getting picked on, do they have a sales projection?

In your history with the sport, do revolutionary bike designs have a peak and fall around their release or do they tend to slowly grow to a max units/month or year then settle out?

ETA: How many units has Ventum moved? are sales growing or even for them? (trying to keep it relevant to all bikes listed)

I respect Cevelo as a brand and see them as the industry leader. I would be surprised if they have sold 600 P5X so far but if they have then that is very good for our industry especially at the price point of that bike.

We had sold over 300 bikes at year one of sales. Not a bad start for a new company but we are very ambitious to grow those sales in 2017.

JImmy Seear
Co-Founder Ventum
Quote Reply
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would love to have you ride a Ventum. We can install your favorite bars and see what you think.

JImmy Seear
Co-Founder Ventum
Quote Reply
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Why buy a P5? It was designed from 2009-2012. It's old. Outdated. Time to move on. It's still a really fast bike though.

You just gave a fantastic answer to your own question. Might something better come along with disc brakes in the future? Sure. Is it available now? Nope.
Quote Reply
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I the only person on earth who thinks the Ventum is the ugliest bike on the planet? The P5x and even the Diamondback are better looking bikes. Just sayin...
Last edited by: FranzZemen: Oct 23, 17 18:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like the fact that Cervelo is the leading bike at Kona every year says something, and usually it's the P5 or P3 that you see them riding.

Being said, I don't ever see a Cervelo Rep commenting or being super respectable on any forums, and the customer service you'd get from Ventum would be insane. I mean Jimmy is willing to help out anyone to get on a bike! Wish I could afford one, ha!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ventum definitely, but with the P5X coming a close second for me.

I like the hydration integration options of the Ventum and pick it over the other two for sheer functionality. To me the aesthetics of the bike are ok but I would rather ride the Shiv or Trinity. (Un-related I know)

I think the P5X to me is my aesthetics winner. That bike looks stunning. Like a more complete feeling Dimond
Quote Reply
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [FranzZemen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have visible eye twitches whenever I see the thing, it's genuinely a disgusting bike. P5x and Diamondback are marginally better but considering the fact that there's very little advantage over traditional frames I'd take one of those any day.

Disclaimer: Not a triathlete anymore, just a fish
Quote Reply
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [swim_corey_run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swim_corey_run wrote:
I feel like the fact that Cervelo is the leading bike at Kona every year says something, and usually it's the P5 or P3 that you see them riding.

Being said, I don't ever see a Cervelo Rep commenting or being super respectable on any forums, and the customer service you'd get from Ventum would be insane. I mean Jimmy is willing to help out anyone to get on a bike! Wish I could afford one, ha!

I don't think blind zealotry is the best selling point...

I'd go for a P5. I'd be slower on anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FranzZemen wrote:
Am I the only person on earth who thinks the Ventum is the ugliest bike on the planet? The P5x and even the Diamondback are better looking bikes. Just sayin...

I used to think this. And I was pretty vocal about it on here. But the Ventum has grown on me honestly (so has the p5x)..... aesthetically speaking.

My buddy has a Ventum. Jimmy personally drove up to my buddy's house (~100 miles from miami) so my friend could demo different sizes of the bike and figure out which size fit him the best. A few weeks later, Jimmy personally delivered a new ventum to him. Although I haven't met Jimmy, I was thoroughly impressed with Ventums/Jimmy's customer service.

Ventum has the trade in program now and I think they do 0% financing as well (could be wrong on that one). They are trying to make it easy on the customer to upgrade or buy a new bike. As much as I would love to buy a new bike every year, forking out several thousands of dollars all at once and having to deal with selling my old bike, is a big hassle. Ventum seems to be one of the few who understands this and want to take the burden off the customer. Great move on their part.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
FranzZemen wrote:

I used to think this. And I was pretty vocal about it on here. But the Ventum has grown on me honestly (so has the p5x)..... aesthetically speaking.

My buddy has a Ventum. Jimmy personally drove up to my buddy's house (~100 miles from miami) so my friend could demo different sizes of the bike and figure out which size fit him the best. A few weeks later, Jimmy personally delivered a new ventum to him. Although I haven't met Jimmy, I was thoroughly impressed with Ventums/Jimmy's customer service.

Ventum has the trade in program now and I think they do 0% financing as well (could be wrong on that one). They are trying to make it easy on the customer to upgrade or buy a new bike. As much as I would love to buy a new bike every year, forking out several thousands of dollars all at once and having to deal with selling my old bike, is a big hassle. Ventum seems to be one of the few who understands this and want to take the burden off the customer. Great move on their part.

While you make some good points I just went on the ventum site and built up a bike comparable to the p5x. There's no real price difference. For that I think I would go with the #1 brand and the better looking bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I honestly haven't looked at prices on either of those bikes in quite some time.

At the end of the day, the consumer has to figure out what are their priorities for a bike (other than fit). Here are mine for example in particular order:

1. Sexy/attractive - I need to get excited when I look at the bike
2. Fast
3. Storage/hydration (this can be combined with number 1 and 2)
4. Customer support (spare parts availability, dealer location, etc)

blog
Quote Reply
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got these 4 as well, although #3 is more a 'nice to have' than a hard requirement. I'd pick a p5x (and will, come job bonus time next February) over a p5. Neither the Ventum nor the Omni do much for me in terms of visual appeal. I've always liked the looks of beam bikes and have come close to buying both a titanflex and a dimond in not too distant past.
Quote Reply
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I just purchased the P5X in the Ultegra/HED configuration. Really like the idea of sequential shifting, can't wait to spend time with it.

Not the most flatering pic but I picked it up a lunch and brought it to my office.

Special thanks to the Awesome staff at the Tri Shop in Plano, TX.

Last edited by: FranzZemen: Oct 24, 17 14:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats on the new bike....looks sweet.

Interesting to see this old thread and the naysayers about the p5x. At Kona this year I was quite surprised by the relatively high number of people I saw riding the bike.

No offense to Jimmy and all the hard work that Ventum is putting in. But their bike has not tested particularly well in the very limited publicly available data. One can only assume that more extensive private testing indicates something similar which is why it remains private. In addition, the bike is shall we say, polarizing. Even with a $30000USD build and custom paint job, the bike at Kona stood out simply for how ugly it is, something that hasn't changed in my view since the bike came out. And finally, there is absolutely no price discount given for taking the risk of going with such a small firm. Why on earth I would pay that kind of money for a bike from a company that is not at or near the top of bike brands in terms of the availability of service and support?

For my money, a used p5 or even new one makes a lot of sense. (Granted, I would say that..I ride a 4 year old p5 and still break bike split PRs and KQ with it.) But yes yes yes, I hear slowtwitch groan about how "old" it is in the same sentence they admit it is still a very fast bike. I don't carry much with me on course, so I think the aerodynamics of my P5 are well within shouting range of the p5x.

I don't have to own the flashiest bike at the bike check-in. My goal is to be on top of the bike that is moving fastest between t1 and t2!
Quote Reply
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"I heard they have sold 20 nationwide"

i think it's closer to 600.

At my lbs in Toronto a few days ago and they've sold over a dozen themselves.

As for the thread....

I'm partial to my Trek, but if I was forced to choose, I'd pick the P5x mainly because of the trust factor and also because I could get it fixed right down the street.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [tomoffat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomoffat wrote:
I have visible eye twitches whenever I see the thing, it's genuinely a disgusting bike. P5x and Diamondback are marginally better but considering the fact that there's very little advantage over traditional frames I'd take one of those any day.

I mean, at first I thought tri bikes as a concept were disgusting. Things grow on you.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FranzZemen wrote:
So I just purchased the P5X in the Ultegra/HED configuration. Really like the idea of sequential shifting, can't wait to spend time with it.

Not the most flatering pic but I picked it up a lunch and brought it to my office.

Special thanks to the Awesome staff at the Tri Shop in Plano, TX.

Thanks for the pic; I'll probably do the same model but with a disc in the rear. Somewhere I stumbled across a guy that does custom vinyl wraps for bikes (that don't void the warranty and are removable, unlike custom paint) and sent him a crude sketch of a pink floyd-themed design. We talked on the phone about some ideas and he came back with this idea, which I like:

Quote Reply
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My eyes hurt after seeing that

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
My eyes hurt after seeing that

Didn't think we'd ever agree on anything...
Quote Reply

Prev Next