Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: P5 news today... brace yourselves! [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew69 wrote:
motoxxx wrote:
I'm over it and glad I just decided to buy a different bike.
So you bought a bike that is probably slower and possibly more expensive because of what exactly? An "unbiased" wind tunnel test that doesnt exist?

No, I didn't buy a bike that was more expensive and "probably" slower. Define slower, who the hell knows.

Andrew69 wrote:
Reminds me of a friend of mine that slagged me when I bought my P3 because they are "everywhere" and that he wanted something "unique", so he went and bought a Scott Plasma (original aero brick, not the later sweet rides) "just to be different". So he bought a slower, more expensive bike "to be different". Nice :-)

That's actually cool, your friend didn't want to be like everyone else...that's novel. I'm sure your P3 was sooo much faster that you just flew by him. LOL Give me a break.
Last edited by: motoxxx: Dec 20, 11 22:38
Quote Reply
Re: P5 news today... brace yourselves! [motoxxx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: P5 news today... brace yourselves! [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
if you get frustrated every time the world doesn't revolve around you...well..

Dude, its a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Get over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motoxxx wrote:
That's actually cool, your friend didn't want to be like everyone else...that's novel. I'm sure your P3 was sooo much faster that you just flew by him. LOL Give me a break.
Thats not cool, thats stoopid.
Its called racing not prancing...and yes I do consistantly out ride him, lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Cervelo engineers just copied the engine Cancellera used in his Specialized during the 2010 Paris-Roubaix. Big deal...:) And that wasn't even a TT bike!

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone heard when the bike will be available for purchase ?
Quote Reply
Re: P5 news today... brace yourselves! [cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone heard when the bike will be available for purchase ?

best post of the whole thread. They say they are launching the P5 January 18th, they have not said when they can start taking our money!!! Your post is the best on this thread!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: P5 news today... brace yourselves! [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to see the different levels that will be available and frame/fork/post/brakes/misc options. I never buy a complete bike any more so would rather go the frame option.
Quote Reply
Re: P5 news today... brace yourselves! [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When does the $1000 deal end???
Quote Reply
Re: P5 news today... brace yourselves! [DClarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Likely the day before the P5 ;-). It would probably be good marketing to extend it past when the P5 arrives.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: P5 news today... brace yourselves! [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Likely the day before the P5 ;-). It would probably be good marketing to extend it past when the P5 arrives.

Nah....no need to discount something that people are gonna pay full retail for. Sure, they may get a few people off the fence, but likely not enough to offset the revenue hit they would take.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: P5 news today... brace yourselves! [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whats a p5?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed except they haven't yet released pricing so they can just add $1000 and say its "on sale" Unless the rules have changed that would be Illegal in England. You can't have a sale on something that hasn't already been sold at list price for 6 months.

Still I doubt they they do it.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The the 1000 off is only for in stock bikes. So the p5 won't be included since cervelo won't have it in stock till march.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motoxxx wrote:
I was merely describing my frustration of Cervelo not even releasing even a picture of the P5

Because, you know... what a bike looks like is really what's most important.
Quote Reply
Re: P5 news today... brace yourselves! [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matto wrote:
motoxxx wrote:
I was merely describing my frustration of Cervelo not even releasing even a picture of the P5

I'm way more ok with people buying say, a Look TT bike over a Shiv because it looks cool

Than I am with people who buy a slice hi-mod over a Speed Concept 9 series because it is 200 grams lighter.

heheh

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: P5 news today... brace yourselves! [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matto wrote:
motoxxx wrote:

Most important? No. Important? Absolutely...at least for most of us.

As for not releasing a pic, their current marketing tactics are working well for them. Release tiny bots of info, get the masses excited and potentially prevent people from buying other brands until their bike is ready to release. It will be evne better if they can ensure the bike will be on retailers floor just after the release ala the S5.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
matto wrote:
motoxxx wrote:

Most important? No. Important? Absolutely...at least for most of us.

As for not releasing a pic, their current marketing tactics are working well for them. Release tiny bots of info, get the masses excited and potentially prevent people from buying other brands until their bike is ready to release. It will be evne better if they can ensure the bike will be on retailers floor just after the release ala the S5.

Good point, but I was just saying that Cervelo not releasing much information on the bike really didn't work out in keeping me excited enough to wait. Just a picture of the P5 would have gotten me excited enough (or not) to consider if waiting was cool or not. I have to admit I was a little impatient, but I'm happy with my purchase. I went with a Speed Concept 9 series - P1 and got a pretty nice deal on it. I'm still interested in seeing what the P5 looks like just out of curiosity. Unless it looks way better than a custom 9 series, I won't have any regrets. Really I just need to work on my cycling to get faster at this point anyway...the bike won't make that much of difference in my mind when comparing a SC to a P5. I'm sure the P5 will have a little quicker numbers, but I highly doubt it will blow it off the charts. I have a hard time believing the wind tunnel tests because they usually favor the bike company that is doing the testing.
Quote Reply
Re: P5 news today... brace yourselves! [cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bigger question might be the gap between when it is first available for purchase, and when you can actually get one. Typically there is limited availability in a select few sizes and the wait for say a 61 might be months or a year. Same thing happened with the P4 and I never bothered to get one because by the time I tracked one down, the season was over. Same for the P5. It'll launch in January but I can't imagine that I could find a 61 before the season starts. The problem is that I need a bike and have a big year planned so I have to look elsewhere. It's a shame as I have liked my Cervelos and would love another one but the timing doesn't work out. Maybe in eight years when the P7 debuts.
Quote Reply
Re: P5 news today... brace yourselves! [spirogeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: P5 news today... brace yourselves! [spirogeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spirogeek wrote:
The bigger question might be the gap between when it is first available for purchase, and when you can actually get one. Typically there is limited availability in a select few sizes and the wait for say a 61 might be months or a year. Same thing happened with the P4 and I never bothered to get one because by the time I tracked one down, the season was over. Same for the P5. It'll launch in January but I can't imagine that I could find a 61 before the season starts. The problem is that I need a bike and have a big year planned so I have to look elsewhere. It's a shame as I have liked my Cervelos and would love another one but the timing doesn't work out. Maybe in eight years when the P7 debuts.

Good point, I'm 6'4", so I would definitely need one of the larger sizes. I'm in the same boat, I needed a bike because I have a lot races planned in 2012 and I didn't want to wait around hoping I got the P5 in a timely manner. Now my custom SC is being delivered next week and its game on!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only said P7 because I kinda like to keep my bikes around for a bunch of years. I have a friend that replaced his original P4 with a new P4 last year for no discernible reason and it's not like he's swimming in cash. His reponse was "It has a lot of improvements". I can't tell the difference.
Quote Reply
Re: P5 news today... brace yourselves! [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SeasonsChange wrote:

just speculation so far:

"But the inkling is that Cervelo may be making two iterations of the bike: A time trial version (perhaps with slacker seat angle geometry, perhaps with UCI-limiters with regard to tubeset shapes and depths) and an “unlimited” triathlon version Ths one, absent the UCI’s 3:1 tubeset ratio and seat position limitations, may have a steeper seat angle and could be unencumbered by UCI rules in terms of tubeset location, shape and depth."

Looks like the speculation was right. From bikeradar today,
Cervélo are set to debut their new—and highly anticipated—P5 tri/time trial aero flagship, as two distinct models during January's European Brainbike event. The models will be split by purpose: one UCI legal and ready for World Tour competition, and a second version built to cater to the longer distances and less restrictive governing body of triathlon.

[/url]

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally agree. Also, comparing wind tunnel numbers between the P4 and P5 is really not possible if the geometries are different as expected.

Now if you took a P4 and put a Ventus on and accounted for the difference between stack by using aero cup risers then it is really hard for me to imagine the P5 having a 100 gram improvement over the P4. But if you account for the differences in stack by putting a bunch of spacers on the P4 and the P5 does not have spacers than this is really not an equal comparison. I am willing to bet this is what they are going to do.

The thing about the P4 is that it is really, really thin. I was riding near a guy riding a P4 in my last race and it is noticeably thinner than other bikes. I suspect this and the Ventus bar is what really contributes to strong performance at 0 yaw.

Also, if the P5 is not UCI legal that is used in the test then there should not be any issue in using the UCI illegal Ventus.
Quote Reply
Re: P5 news today... brace yourselves! [bartturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bartturner wrote:
I totally agree. Also, comparing wind tunnel numbers between the P4 and P5 is really not possible if the geometries are different as expected.

yes it is

you pick a position to compare, you set the bikes up and compare them.

The impact of 2cm of headset spacers would be <5g of drag.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply

Prev Next