Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
P-09 vs aerohead
Quote | Reply
 Not asking which one is more aero yet which one test better on the most riders.

I have no time nor money to go to a wind tunnel so if I'm gonna gamble I want the one that test the best most often.

also which is cooler.

oh and no the search function isn't working

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Last edited by: surfNJmatt: Jul 10, 17 14:38
Quote Reply
Re: P-09 vs aerohead [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
Not asking which one is more aero yet which one test better on the most riders.

I have no time nor money to go to a wind tunnel so if I'm gonna gamble I want the one that test the best most often.

also which is cooler.

oh and no the search function isn't working

Giro Aerohead without a doubt.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: P-09 vs aerohead [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
also which is cooler.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Wrong answer (to this particular question) without a doubt.

The TLDR answer to your question is go Aerohead unless you run hot or do races in hot weather - in either case, where ventilation/cooling is a concern. BUT if ventilation/cooling is a concern, you are gambling if you go with the Aerohead. The P09 runs quite cool (for an aero helmet) sans visor and is the safer choice if heat is a concern.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: P-09 vs aerohead [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
surfNJmatt wrote:
also which is cooler.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:

The TLDR answer to your question is go Aerohead unless you run hot or do races in hot weather - in either case, where ventilation/cooling is a concern. BUT if ventilation/cooling is a concern, you are gambling if you go with the Aerohead. The P09 runs quite cool (for an aero helmet) sans visor and is the safer choice if heat is a concern.

I wore the Aerohead at both Augusta and Cartagena last year. Both races were blazing hot, and Cartagena is arguably the most humid place on planet earth (heat index was around 110 degrees). I didn't notice much of a difference between the Aerohead and any other aero lid I've used before.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: P-09 vs aerohead [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you sure you are not just super tolerant of heat? Because a lot of folks have said that the Aerohead runs really warm.

I'd love to switch to an Aerohead... the odds seem to favor it being faster (usual caveats apply of course) and Giro sponsors our team, but I am one of those who unfortunately "runs hot" (I don't even like the visor on my P09 when the temp is over 70 degrees), so am hesitant to try an Aerohead...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Are you sure you are not just super tolerant of heat? Because a lot of folks have said that the Aerohead runs really warm.

I'd love to switch to an Aerohead... the odds seem to favor it being faster (usual caveats apply of course) and Giro sponsors our team, but I am one of those who unfortunately "runs hot" (I don't even like the visor on my P09 when the temp is over 70 degrees), so am hesitant to try an Aerohead...

Perhaps I am. I live in the Houston area which has probably the worst heat+humidity combo in the USA. So might be more "used to it" than others.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah that might be it. We are (OK, I am) super spoiled pansies here by the coast in SoCal. When it dips below 60, there is a run on smart trainers and Zwift subscriptions because who could possible ride outdoors in such frigid temperatures. And when the forecast calls for a high of 80, everyone starts their ride at 4am to "beat the heat."

Serious question, have you ever used a helmet (aero or otherwise) that WAS too hot for you? If not, then it would support the idea that cooling/ventilation is not a top priority issue for you. Since the OP specifically asked about it, I would guess it is a priority issue for him.

I wish I had your superpower though!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone wear aerohead with sunglasses? And had no problems ? I wear prescription sun glasses.
Quote Reply
Re: P-09 vs aerohead [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
Anyone wear aerohead with sunglasses? And had no problems ? I wear prescription sun glasses.

Just to be clear, you are asking about the Aerohead + its integrated visor + your own sunglasses right? Because the Aerohead doesn't really allow for a visor-less option like some other helmets.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I'd like to wear visor plus sunglasses, there is lots of room for sunglasses but concerned about fogging...any thoughts or experiences ?

refthimos wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

Just to be clear, you are asking about the Aerohead + its integrated visor + your own sunglasses right? Because the Aerohead doesn't really allow for a visor-less option like some other helmets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

Sure it does. The visor pops right off. It is only held on by magnets. It sits a little lower to the brow than other helmets, but glasses/sunglasses definitely fit.
Although, I'm sure you'd take an aero hit. Is that your point?
Quote Reply
Re: P-09 vs aerohead [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I'm hoping is that I can wear the visor and sunglasses (prescription) at the same time during a race. I've tried it on and there is lots of room. I'm just concerned about the fogging...and wondering if anyone has raced this way.

Edit: without the visor the aerohead isn't nearly as good from what I've heard.
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Jul 10, 17 15:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
surfNJmatt wrote:
also which is cooler.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Coolness was a secondary question. As with most users on ST, speed is often the number one determinant, the question asked was which one faster in the wind tunnel. In addition, the second question hasn't had nearly as much research as the first although I would love to see much more done, as a result it is much more subjective and thus unreliable to some extent. In my view, you are going to hear from a disproportionate number of people who feel it is hot (yourself included)

The reality is that some have tried to do some tests, Crowie being a great example, and did not find that helmet choice affected core temp. Core temp was to be more affected by hydration status than anything. Now I would love to see more on this topic, but regardless, Getting to T2 faster should help with the hydration naturally by both being out there less and also being out earlier in the day.The Aerohead can certainly feel warmer than my P09 w/o lens, but it isn't like a wetsuit where I literally reach down and let in water if I start to overheat.

Now, I agree we don't always get all the facts, requirements, and use-cases of the original OP. With that being said, I have never seen a helmet gain faster adoption in the pro ranks without some sort of sponsor support than the Aerohead. These athletes are arguably generating much more body heat and yet they seem to run fine.

Personally I would like to see more testing done on this subject, but yes, as it stands, I can't see any reason to go without an Aerohead. Last year I did Cozumel 70.3 and conditions were nearly unbearable and I didn't think the helmet was too hot. Again, I got hot so hot in the swim I wanted to rip off my swim cap. Never had that urge on the bike. I ran with a block of ice, for nearly a 1/2 mile at one point on the run. Core temp is much more greatly increased on the run than the bike.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: P-09 vs aerohead [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Sure it does. The visor pops right off. It is only held on by magnets. It sits a little lower to the brow than other helmets, but glasses/sunglasses definitely fit.
Although, I'm sure you'd take an aero hit. Is that your point?

Yes, my understanding is that on the Aerohead, the visor is really integral to how the helmet works aero-wise. Other helmets like the P09 are designed to be viable without the visor.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just picked up my Aerohead yesterday and it would be a tight fit with prescription glasses. Tony Martin looks like he had a cut down visor for the TDF stage 1 TT, so maybe that would be an option. I haven't used mine yet but for warmer races it may provide so more cooling as well...who knows about any aero penalty.
Quote Reply
Re: P-09 vs aerohead [Sanchez1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
refthimos wrote:

Perhaps I am. I live in the Houston area which has probably the worst heat+humidity combo in the USA. So might be more "used to it" than others.

I agree, and it could be because I'm living in FL. Did a race last month and didn't notice a crazy difference from my older wasp air, and I run hot. My race was only a 40k bike leg though, but I plan to wear it for IMFL as well. I think people think it's hotter than it is because they're told it's hot.
Quote Reply
Re: P-09 vs aerohead [Sanchez1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm in that pic he's not wearing the visor but glasses. Room isn't an issue, I've tried it on with sunglasses Oakley Radar and no issues with room.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing I can offer is that my Aerohead visor steamed up terribly during Sunday's sprint tri here in soupy-humid Charleston. The helmet was outside overnight, so it wasn't a case of cold visor steaming up in warm wet air. It was just a ton of humidity combined with serious sweat and heat. The air vents at the top of the visor did not provide enough air movement to get rid of it. It became a safety issue when I was turned into the early morning sun. Near zero visibility through the steamed up visor. I removed and flipped the visor back on the helmet for the last 1/2 of the race.

Otherwise, I have had no issues with the helmet in the heat. I wore it in 100+ degree heat in low-humidity Redding, CA a few weeks ago without issue or feeling overheated.

I don't feel that it wears any warmer than my old Giro Advantage helmets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Yeah that might be it. We are (OK, I am) super spoiled pansies here by the coast in SoCal. When it dips below 60, there is a run on smart trainers and Zwift subscriptions because who could possible ride outdoors in such frigid temperatures. And when the forecast calls for a high of 80, everyone starts their ride at 4am to "beat the heat."

Serious question, have you ever used a helmet (aero or otherwise) that WAS too hot for you? If not, then it would support the idea that cooling/ventilation is not a top priority issue for you. Since the OP specifically asked about it, I would guess it is a priority issue for him.

I wish I had your superpower though!

Aero helmets definitely are hotter than a regular helmet. I notice the difference there, as in it feels warmer, but as Gerlach mentioned there's really no science as to whether or not it really makes one warmer.

I've used a few aero helmets from LG's Vorttice and P-09, to Rudy's Wingspan, to Kask's Bambino, to Giro's Aerohead, and I haven't noticed any difference between them when it comes to how hot my noggin felt.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I said it before...but I'll say it again...after thousands of hours in the tunnel...NEVER have I seen a helmet display such superiority across so many different positions and body types as the Aerohead does. Unless you are able to permanently affix a long tail to your back...the Aerohead will probably win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aerohead does run run shockingly warm.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: P-09 vs aerohead [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what? Are you afraid of going fast or the heat? The heat can easily be dealt with... Put a big leaf of cabbage between the helmet and your head.
Last edited by: Bernoullitrial: Jul 10, 17 20:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for us in the faraway places without access to wind tunnel - what are the safest bets helmet wise?

i must say that I was under impression (seems wrong one) that P-09 tests fast on most people
Quote Reply
Re: P-09 vs aerohead [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R2 wrote:
for us in the faraway places without access to wind tunnel - what are the safest bets helmet wise?

i must say that I was under impression (seems wrong one) that P-09 tests fast on most people
This was my impression as well, that's why I got a PO9. I do like the helmet though, fits great, it's light and very well ventilated compared to my old Selector.
Quote Reply

Prev Next