Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Overrated Products
Quote | Reply
OvThe recent ROAM threads and few others made me wonder about products that folks think are overrated or overpriced. So, I thought I would through a starter list out there.
  • Anything Ceramic Speed – I love the idea of oversized pulleys, and I like the idea of ceramic bearings. But CS’s pricing is ludicrous.
  • Wahoo ROAM – This would have been a game changer in 2018, but the rest of the market pivoted and left this hanging in the wind with a high price tag relative to many other options.
  • Cervelo P2/3 – (This one will strike a nerve, I am sure.) These bikes were world leaders and game changers in 2014. But, the rest of the market responded over the past 5 years with bikes that offer various mixes of faster, cheaper, and better equipped.
  • Tacx Neo – I do not get this one. It is very good. But the Wahoo KICKR is also very good. I do not see the value in the Neo’s price premium. (I have a Neo 2, and I had a KICKR.)
  • Rudy Project Wing57 – haha
  • Zipp/Enve/Bontrager/Easton/Xentis/etc. ~$3K wheels – Long ago, these were leaders and earned premium prices. But there are a ton of strong offerings at less than half of those prices, many of which are faster.
  • Dura Ace – I love DA, but Ultegra is so good now that the only real difference seems to be weight. I badly wanted to justify a DA group for my TT bike when I did the upgrade to Di2, but it just didn’t make sense
  • Garmin Vector 3 – With Assioma performing well at a fraction of the price, and P2 with a strong reputation and better price, it seems like the Vector 3 is an overpriced choice with a bad history.

I am curious what others think are the leading overrated or overpriced things out there in Tri land...
Quote Reply
Re: Overrated Products [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SRM Powermeters
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't think of much on the swim side. I can think of things that are mostly useless, but they're generally not rated very highly to begin with.

Maybe $1000+ wetsuits?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Overrated Products [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In for the unintentional comedy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like the heading should be "overpriced" instead of "overrated."

Few if any people rate the Rudy helmets highly, and many of the products you're listing are great, just too expensive for most.
Quote Reply
Re: Overrated Products [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah.

Also, Ultegra has always been as good as DA, just slightly heavier.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Overrated Products [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Sounds like the heading should be "overpriced" instead of "overrated.â€
Yeah, I kind of treated those terms synonymously in this context. That’s why I had both words in the into. In theory, an overrated product is also overpriced, and there would be a lower price point at which it pivots from overrated to massive value.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not necessarily. Sometimes things are overrated because they are ineffective at any price.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

• Cervelo P2/3 – (This one will strike a nerve, I am sure.) These bikes were world leaders and game changers in 2014. But, the rest of the market responded over the past 5 years with bikes that offer various mixes of faster, cheaper, and better equipped..

I won't disagree that the value proposition on the P3 has become increasingly difficult to comprehend. Nor would I disagree that some of the finishing bits on the P2 are a little low-rent for a nearly-$3k bike, specifically the wheelset and crankset. That said, I'm struggling to come up with alternatives in the sub $3k price range that are demonstrably better performers than the P2, despite it's age. Maybe the Canyon Speedmax CF 7.0? I haven't seen any data that suggests its actually faster than a P2, though. Nor are there any real contenders that undercut the P2's price by so much that you can forgive a tinge of performance deficit.

FWIW, I don't and never have owned a P2, or any Cervelo, so I'm not working from a "confirmation bias" perspective.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: May 6, 19 8:55
Quote Reply
Re: Overrated Products [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a few things on the swim side, and you've even commented on those. Specifically, most goggles that cost more than $10.

I saw a post from a friend who did 70.3 St George over the weekend. This friend mentioned using the new QR wetsuit, which I promptly checked out on google. OMG! $800 for a wetsuit??! And then there's the whole problem of using a full suit for water that was mentioned to be 62 degrees. Wow. You CANNOT tell me that the extra $300-400 paid for this suit translated into serious gains, unless it's an expensive placebo.

My feeling about this topic is that companies really know how to separate people from their money, for the "latest and greatest." I think overrated is really also the same thing as overpriced, because what the comments are going to be all about is the absolute marginal gains of a product and the costs to achieve these marginal gains.
Quote Reply
Re: Overrated Products [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
That said, I'm struggling to come up with alternatives in the sub $3k price range that are demonstrably better performers than the P2, despite it's age.

I'd like to see the QR PR3 and P2 have a baby... with the narrow BB (might as well thread it too) and direct mount rear brake from the PR3, and the tube shapes of the P2. The PR3 is damn close, but the head tube isn't deep enough, and there is more airfoil truncation than I'd like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

• Cervelo P2/3 – (This one will strike a nerve, I am sure.) These bikes were world leaders and game changers in 2014. But, the rest of the market responded over the past 5 years with bikes that offer various mixes of faster, cheaper, and better equipped..

I won't disagree that the value proposition on the P3 has become increasingly difficult to comprehend. Nor would I disagree that some of the finishing bits on the P2 are a little low-rent for a nearly-$3k bike, specifically the wheelset and crankset. That said, I'm struggling to come up with alternatives in the sub $3k price range that are demonstrably better performers than the P2, despite it's age. Maybe the Canyon Speedmax CF 7.0? I haven't seen any data that suggests its actually faster than a P2, though. Nor are there any real contenders that undercut the P2's price by so much that you can forgive a tinge of performance deficit.

FWIW, I don't and never have owned a P2, or any Cervelo, so I'm not working from a "confirmation bias" perspective.

I own P2 white/blue bike with upgraded parts. Personally, It's an ugly looking bike.
Seriously, I could have designed better. I got it cheap on Craigslist, so I'm ok with it, but I won't pay that much for the brand new one.
I would get something else for sure if I have to buy a new one.
Quote Reply
Re: Overrated Products [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
There are a few things on the swim side, and you've even commented on those. Specifically, most goggles that cost more than $10.

I saw a post from a friend who did 70.3 St George over the weekend. This friend mentioned using the new QR wetsuit, which I promptly checked out on google. OMG! $800 for a wetsuit??! And then there's the whole problem of using a full suit for water that was mentioned to be 62 degrees. Wow. You CANNOT tell me that the extra $300-400 paid for this suit translated into serious gains, unless it's an expensive placebo.

My feeling about this topic is that companies really know how to separate people from their money, for the "latest and greatest." I think overrated is really also the same thing as overpriced, because what the comments are going to be all about is the absolute marginal gains of a product and the costs to achieve these marginal gains.

Goggles are so personal that it's hard to say that a particular type is overrated though. Some are simply crap, but no-one rates the crap ones very highly to begin with. Similarly, there are some swim toys that aren't very good, but they aren't rated all that highly.

Actually, I have thought of one thing. (wait a sec while I go put on my flame-retardant speedo) … Sim shorts. flame away..

ETA - also any kind of watch in the pool..

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: May 6, 19 9:21
Quote Reply
Re: Overrated Products [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
And then there's the whole problem of using a full suit for water that was mentioned to be 62 degrees.

What problem is that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any running shoe over $100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Actually, I have thought of one thing. (wait a sec while I go put on my flame-retardant speedo) … Sim shorts. flame away..

Drag suits are 10x worse. Great for screwing up your entire kinesthetic sense of good streamline positioning.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Drag suits are 10x worse. Great for screwing up your entire kinesthetic sense of good streamline positioning.

Depends on how they're used. I don't have one now (it got swiped from my bag when I was at nationals a couple of years ago), but I like them for occasional sprint sets. A little bit like how you would incorporate cords or parachutes.

None of that stuff is particularly popular in the triathlon swimming community though, so I'm not sure that I would call them overrated. And they're pretty cheap. SIM shorts, on the other hand, are not cheap and I can't think of any way that they actually facilitate improvement as a swimmer.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: May 6, 19 9:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I can't think of much on the swim side. I can think of things that are mostly useless, but they're generally not rated very highly to begin with.

Maybe $1000+ wetsuits?

I kind of thought that too until TYR came out with the beast mode wetsuit. It has been downhill ever since.

Others off the top of my head, flame me all you want
- Wind tunnel testing
- Beam bikes
- Anything compression
- Short cranks
- Any "recovery" product
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
140triguy wrote:

Goggles are so personal that it's hard to say that a particular type is overrated though. Some are simply crap, but no-one rates the crap ones very highly to begin with. Similarly, there are some swim toys that aren't very good, but they aren't rated all that highly.

Duck!

Gotta agree with 140 on the wetsuit. I've had two wetsuits, both full-sleeved, both under $200. Neither has a hole. The one outgrew me, and the new one is doing great. Couldn't fathom paying 8 bones for a wetsuit unless it has a motor.

Super-light carbon water bottle cages.. seriously? Do I want to spend $160 or $40 on 2 bottle cages?

Road ID. I'll show myself out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

The wristwatches 99.99% of triathletes use? I agree. I find the $25 SportCount finger Stopwatch indispensable for self-timing race pace sets, though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that the P2 isn’t what it used to be as far as being ahead of the other bikes and not sure what a P3 really offers above that for the price tag. I am in a fortunate situation, but I wouldn’t expect to pay more than ~75% of msrp on the p2/p3 at my lbs. I don’t know that there is that opportunity with other manufacturers like QR as I have no idea who even sells them and I am in a decent sized US city. From recent inquiries there isn’t that wiggle room on felts or treks either so the price point, at least for me, makes the P2 still very attractive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

The wristwatches 99.99% of triathletes use? I agree. I find the $25 SportCount finger Stopwatch indispensable for self-timing race pace sets, though.

Yeah, I'm not including that or the Finis tempo trainer as a "watch".

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
OvThe recent ROAM threads and few others made me wonder about products that folks think are overrated or overpriced. So, I thought I would through a starter list out there.
  • Anything Ceramic Speed – I love the idea of oversized pulleys, and I like the idea of ceramic bearings. But CS’s pricing is ludicrous.
  • Wahoo ROAM – This would have been a game changer in 2018, but the rest of the market pivoted and left this hanging in the wind with a high price tag relative to many other options.
  • Cervelo P2/3 – (This one will strike a nerve, I am sure.) These bikes were world leaders and game changers in 2014. But, the rest of the market responded over the past 5 years with bikes that offer various mixes of faster, cheaper, and better equipped.
  • Tacx Neo – I do not get this one. It is very good. But the Wahoo KICKR is also very good. I do not see the value in the Neo’s price premium. (I have a Neo 2, and I had a KICKR.)
  • Rudy Project Wing57 – haha
  • Zipp/Enve/Bontrager/Easton/Xentis/etc. ~$3K wheels – Long ago, these were leaders and earned premium prices. But there are a ton of strong offerings at less than half of those prices, many of which are faster.
  • Dura Ace – I love DA, but Ultegra is so good now that the only real difference seems to be weight. I badly wanted to justify a DA group for my TT bike when I did the upgrade to Di2, but it just didn’t make sense
  • Garmin Vector 3 – With Assioma performing well at a fraction of the price, and P2 with a strong reputation and better price, it seems like the Vector 3 is an overpriced choice with a bad history.
I am curious what others think are the leading overrated or overpriced things out there in Tri land...

i'll say the same thing here that i said in my OpEd about the ROAM bashing. you're focusing on the tiny picture. and if i may say so, you're too old, to knowledgable, too experienced, to fall into this trap. there's more efficacy focusing on brands and systems.

because i know what you don't know, you'll find out that you and i are both right. that if you focus on a brand, and on a system deployed by that brand, what you think is "overrated" is either at the end of its product cycle, or part of a bigger picture you just don't see yet.

this is why investors often place their wagers on management and not a company's transitory metrics.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Overrated Products [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i'll say the same thing here that i said in my OpEd about the ROAM bashing. you're focusing on the tiny picture.
I agree, this is definitely a tiny picture post. I was thinking in terms of specific products from a retail consumer point of view. Some of these I would buy if I had the extra discretionary cash to drop. For example, I would buy a Ceramic Speed OSP cage, because I think they look awesome and I do believe some of the claims (but not all that CS promises). Same for the Dura Ace and some of the uber-priced wheels. But, I would probably not buy a Neo 2 again. I like the Wahoo KICKR better. OTOH, I doubt that I would ever buy the Vector 3 at any price. But, I would wait to see what the Vector 4 holds, if it is priced competatively.

Now, if some of these brands come out with a bigger picture that influences me, then I might be more attracted to them from an individual product point-of-view.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Also, Ultegra has always been as good as DA, just slightly heavier.

it's really not though.
Last edited by: jkhayc: May 6, 19 10:40
Quote Reply

Prev Next