Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Overloaded calf
Quote | Reply
I've booked in to see a physio, but that's not till Thursday and so I'm busy Dr Googling my injury. I've got an Ironman in 3 weeks so a little bit concerned about my calf. It's not torn, it's a bit unusual. I had a big run week the week before, 90km and my calf was fine, then last week I had an interval session on the Tuesday and I felt a gradual tightness in my calf. Oddly it seemed worse on the recovery and OKish when running hard. I rested it, iced it for a few days and took anti-inflammatories. On Saturday I had a 30min brick run and it was OK, then Sunday I had 21. But I pulled up at 20 as it was getting sore again. It doesn't feel torn or damaged, I can stretch it, massage it and there's no pain. From what I've read whilst Dr Goggling it seems to be an "overloaded" calf. I'll see what the Physio says, but I'd like to hear if anyone else has had one of these and if so, what was the recovery like?
Quote Reply
Re: Overloaded calf [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently had a similar issue. I would run again when it started to feel better and my calf strain/tightness would come right back. Long story short....I needed a new pair of shoes and that did the trick. I would try that first if you are over 300 miles on your current pair before going down the rabbit hole of physios, PT, or rehab.
Last edited by: Jimbotri: Nov 10, 19 21:38
Quote Reply
Re: Overloaded calf [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
I've booked in to see a physio, but that's not till Thursday and so I'm busy Dr Googling my injury. I've got an Ironman in 3 weeks so a little bit concerned about my calf. It's not torn, it's a bit unusual. I had a big run week the week before, 90km and my calf was fine, then last week I had an interval session on the Tuesday and I felt a gradual tightness in my calf. Oddly it seemed worse on the recovery and OKish when running hard. I rested it, iced it for a few days and took anti-inflammatories. On Saturday I had a 30min brick run and it was OK, then Sunday I had 21. But I pulled up at 20 as it was getting sore again. It doesn't feel torn or damaged, I can stretch it, massage it and there's no pain. From what I've read whilst Dr Goggling it seems to be an "overloaded" calf. I'll see what the Physio says, but I'd like to hear if anyone else has had one of these and if so, what was the recovery like?

I get this multiple times a year. You need to see a physio that does HARD deep tissue massage.
Quote Reply