Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Over 60 or injured strength/core/orientation training - 20 minutes a day
Quote | Reply
The strong could poo-poo this routine; yet, it's been working for me.

In the evening, I spend about 20 minutes just getting up and down off the floor. I'll be on the floor face down, on my back and on my sides. I don't go fast. The goal is to feel a healthy orientation regardless of position. Preferably or eventually one's shoulder, hip, balance, etc doesn't bother them and the movements feel good.

I don't do these at speed and vary the length of time that I am up or down. Also vary what you do when you're up or down with stretching, twisting or strengthening like a slow push up or sit up. Maybe average 20 up and downs over the 20 minutes.

This could be practicing the sit - stand test that they say corresponds to longevity. However, this goes from a lying down position to a standing position for more orientation. You can sit on the way up or down.

https://www.prevention.com/...-predicts-longevity/

Besides core strength and recovery from injury, it's helped me in two unexpected areas.

1) With a low pulse and blood pressure, it was fairly common for me to feel light headed whenever I got up too quickly. If I consciously remembered to breathe, that would take care of it. Yet since doing these 20 minutes of up and down, I don't have to think about breathing before rising. It's like I am trained to do it by this routine and it carries over into the rest of my day.

2) I have better orientation while swimming. I have been swimming daily for over 15 years. Yet as an AOS, I will never catch up to the time that life long swimmers have put into swimming. Being horizontal, rolling and working is something I seldom do unless I am swimming. Now that I am practicing being horizontal every night, my comfort and orientation in the water is much better.

Just managing my decline...

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Over 60 or injured strength/core/orientation training - 20 minutes a day [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regular physical exercise. Nice work.
Quote Reply