Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ouzo Aero Pro fork - worth $200 upgrade?
Quote | Reply
All-

I'm bought a bike w/ the Profile Design BSC Carbon fork (retail $189). The bike shop I bought from offered to "upgrade" me to a Ouzo Aero Pro fork for an additional $200 (retail $399).

I know the Ouzo Aero Pro is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, but is it going to save me that much more time? Or is it more of a shock absorption thing? It's hard to justify $200 for 30 seconds or even a minute over a 40k course.....even harder to justify it for a MOPer like me.

Thanks very much!

---------------------------

How many miles did you ride today?
Quote Reply
Re: Ouzo Aero Pro fork - worth $200 upgrade? [Red Dragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best upgrade I ever made was to switch from the BDC fork to they Reynolds fork. Handling improved a lot.

I don't know anything about the BSC fork though. Sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask the bike shop about the Ouzo Comp Aero. Very similar fork with an aluming crown and streerer. It even has the same advertised weight. List price is $259. I got mine for under $200. Too bad we've been having such awfull weather, I've only ridden it on the trainer or I could say more about it. It is beautifully made though and looks just like the Aero Pro. Should be about a $50 upgrade

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Ouzo Aero Pro fork - worth $200 upgrade? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my relatively worthless opinion, I would not bother getting any for that was not all carbon. The feel of a Reynolds carbon front end attached to a syntace stem and bar combo is, in a word, sensational.

I ride the Ouzo pro, not aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reynolds makes a fine fork. I wouldn't worry about time savings, I would only worry about the comfort of an all-carbon fork.

One caveat: How high will you run your stem? If you run your stem 20mm or higher above the headset (with spacers), then I would avoid an all-carbon fork.
Quote Reply
Re: Ouzo Aero Pro fork - worth $200 upgrade? [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If you run your stem 20mm or higher above the headset (with spacers), then I would avoid an all-carbon fork"

I agree, 20mm of spacers is the max. If you have more, your frame is probably the wrong size.
Quote Reply
Re: Ouzo Aero Pro fork - worth $200 upgrade? [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re: "I agree, 20mm of spacers is the max. If you have more, your frame is probably the wrong size."

----------------------

I don't agree with this statement at all. I ride a 55cm P3 with a seat height of 77.2cm. The stem is a 110mm Ritchey 74/16 flipped down so it's parallel to the ground and I have 35mm of spacers. This nets me an armrest drop of 12.5cm, which is exactly what Dan's formula predicts it should be (i.e., I'm not running some ultra-upright setup). Sure, I could flip the stem and remove some spacers, but what difference would that make? Mind you, this is with a Syntace base bar and Streamliners. If I went with a hed aerobar or some other bar with a smaller "stack height" I'd have to run even more spacers to have the correct armrest drop. I could "Larsen-ize" my position and still have more than 2cm of spacers. I think there's a max amount of spacers that should be run for safety reasons- beyond that it comes down to how many do you need to get the right fit, given your body dimensions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For sure it is worth the upgrade cost of $200. Like Bunnyman said, don't put stock into a "time savings" issue. Sure, this fork is wicked aero, but will not make or break your time trial. Expect to save a few seconds but nothing to the tune of a minute over 40K.. More like 4-5 seconds...

The comfort and weight savings of this fork is what you will find most enjoyable. For sure, go for it. Try to keep as much length on the steerer as you can just in case you decide to switch frames later in the game... Tell the LBS not to cut your steerer down too far.
Quote Reply
Re: Ouzo Aero Pro fork - worth $200 upgrade? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The initial reason why I am on the 20mm spacer kick is that some of the manufacturers specs say no more than 20mm of spacers. Some will say 40mm, some will say 15mm. I made the statement in relationship to what I have read and heard from reputable sources.

35mm is not bad, and is (more than likely) within safety. The stack height of the stem can determine spacers, as well. ITMs stems on their Dual F1 has a tall stack height. Them headtubes on P3's are mighty short...

I tend to size armrest drop with the actual armrest. There is usually an overabundance of upturn in an aerobar's extension. I usually fashion spacers for my arm rests if none are available. I feel quite funny about raising the stem too high with spacers.

One caveat: 1" carbon steerers can take less than 1 1/8" carbon steerers. A small minority of frame builders are even shying away from 1" carbon steerers and recommending steel ones in 1" diameter. I think it depends on the length of steer tube and how tall one is running their stem. But in general, less steer tube is more, as in safety and stiffness.
Quote Reply
Re: Ouzo Aero Pro fork - worth $200 upgrade? [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Bunnyman. What you say makes total sense re: safety. I wasn't disagreeing with your statement of avoiding carbon steerers if running more than 20mm of spacers. What I disagreed with is the statement that if you're running more than 20mm of spacers your frame is incorrectly sized. Folks with longer inseams relative to torso length will run taller saddle heights and more stem spacers for the same given reach as someone else that's more evenly proportioned. I guess if I ever decide to upgrade forks I'll go for the Ouzo Comp Aero with the steel steerer vs the Ouzo Pro Aero.
Quote Reply