Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Out with the old and in with the new? Bike upgrade time...
Quote | Reply
Few years ago I posted this -

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Tri_bike_-_upgrade_current_or_buy_a_new_one%3F_P5678756/?search_string=slice%20hi-mod%202012#p5678756

Since then I continued using my Slice and still enjoy it.
However, it is starting to show its age.
I can stay with my Slice 2012 and replace the pedals, saddle and maybe some other small stuff - or simply go for something new.

I use this bike for all type or rides, flat, ascending and descending.
My next big event is Ironman Nice, so if i'm going to buy a new bike - this is the time to do it.

Anything on the market that will noticeable better (frame wise) than my Slice or should I continue and invest in it?

Quote Reply
Re: Out with the old and in with the new? Bike upgrade time... [Yuval Ind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How would you say it's showing its age?

What's your budget? I also presume you're in Europe?

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Out with the old and in with the new? Bike upgrade time... [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I'm in sort of Europe (Israel).

Showing it's age -
1. The frame is ~7 years old, so Di2 cables routing requires weekly attention... Other small stuff like nicks and chips...the overall feeling is of a used machine
2. The design is ~10 years old, so the newer stuff is becoming more and more appealing.

I haven't ridden any of the latest crop of Tri rigs, so I cant compare the real life performances or feeling differences.
As for budget - ~$5000US, but only if it will indeed offer improvement over my Slice.
Quote Reply
Re: Out with the old and in with the new? Bike upgrade time... [Yuval Ind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Out with the old and in with the new? Bike upgrade time... [ChiroCowboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the Canyon is a very strong option.
BTW - any reason not to go for the CLX 8.0?
I have the 404/808 from my Slice that I can us on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even better! If you’ve already got a race ready wheelset. Sizeable upgrade from a 6yo Slice

CC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quintana Roo PR series would be an upgrade. Frameset or complete build deals can be had.
Quote Reply
Re: Out with the old and in with the new? Bike upgrade time... [ChiroCowboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChiroCowboy wrote:
Even better! If you’ve already got a race ready wheelset. Sizeable upgrade from a 6yo Slice

CC

How much time benefit will you get from slice to the Canyon? I don’t know if OP will see noticeable speed gains, will he (she?)?
Quote Reply
Re: Out with the old and in with the new? Bike upgrade time... [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
ChiroCowboy wrote:

CC

How much time benefit will you get from slice to the Canyon? I don’t know if OP will see noticeable speed gains, will he (she?)?

Most of know that the body position creates like 75-80% of the drag encounter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are you having to do with your Di2 cables?
Quote Reply
Re: Out with the old and in with the new? Bike upgrade time... [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What are you having to do with your Di2 cables?

They are routed internally to the BB but from there - externally to the rear derailleur.
This requires some zip ties and tape - not a big issue but it does require some TLC from time to time,
Quote Reply
Re: Out with the old and in with the new? Bike upgrade time... [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
mvenneta wrote:
ChiroCowboy wrote:

CC

Most of know that the body position creates like 75-80% of the drag encounter.

For me, its more about how much more fun I would have get out of the new bike...
The time is important, and I wouldn't want to be slower than I already am, but it's really about enjoying the ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The time is important, and I wouldn't want to be slower than I already am

The good news is that you'll save some drag with a lot of new(er) bikes on the market. How much? well that depends. Here's a good read we did in the wind tunnel.

In regards to the Canyon, who knows how fast it really is? It looks like I'm going to be testing one in the wind tunnel in a few weeks though. Plan on doing a few bike only runs on it. Then I'll know how fast or slow it really is since I've got a decent data base of bike only runs

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Out with the old and in with the new? Bike upgrade time... [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I received a VERY good offer on a new Trek SC.

I can choose for the same price a 2017 9 series frame or a 2018 frame (both are brand new).

Which one is better?
Quote Reply
Re: Out with the old and in with the new? Bike upgrade time... [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:
The time is important, and I wouldn't want to be slower than I already am

The good news is that you'll save some drag with a lot of new(er) bikes on the market. How much? well that depends. Here's a good read we did in the wind tunnel.

In regards to the Canyon, who knows how fast it really is? It looks like I'm going to be testing one in the wind tunnel in a few weeks though. Plan on doing a few bike only runs on it. Then I'll know how fast or slow it really is since I've got a decent data base of bike only runs
I suspect it's good but not exceptional. I look forward to hearing what you find.
I really like the bike, but my liking is based mostly on practicality, cost and weight. Absolute speed is not my first priority since I'm highly unlikely to ever win anything.
Quote Reply