Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Other Hobbies? Poll
Quote | Reply
Tri training takes a lot of time and in my second year of multisport, I'm finding that many of my other activities are going by the wayside.

I'm curious what other hobbies you all have to occupy the time away from your multisport obsession? or is it all tri, all the time?
Quote Reply
Re: Other Hobbies? Poll [Barry K.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Downhill Mountain Bike Racing for the rush

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hang out on slowtwitch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even though I work so much I do still have a lot of interests. High altitude mountaineering (I've climbed three of the seven summits), photography- LOTS of photography of all types including portraits and pin-up. Reading and writing, I read a lot. My cats are a huge source of enjoyment and good friends. Keeping the darn house clean. This forum (now). I also used to be a musician (drummer) but haven't played in years. I just bought new skies and I have a new snowboard and I skateboard, have since I was 11 (I'm 41). Broke a rib crashing in a half pipe last year. I Scuba dive too and can fly small airplanes but rarely fly anymore and don't even have a license.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Other Hobbies? Poll [eric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm the other way round - I do this stuff as substitute for surfing during the winter months when I can't surf before or after work and can only get in at weekends.

Seems to be occupying more of my 'thinking time' than it used to though. However, if the surf's good I'll blow out training/meetings/races to get in the water.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Tri training takes a lot of time and in my second year of multisport, I'm finding that many of my other activities are going by the wayside."

I've been in tri three seasons and found that tri takes up an incredible amount of your leisure time. My biggest hobbies have been
1) scuba diving
2)restoring old British sports cars
3)photography

Typically I would do 60 or 70 scuba dives over the summer months in the Great Lakes. Last year I did less than ten. I don't have any classic British cars any more. Can't afford one since my bikes cost so much, plus I wouldn't have the time to tinker on them. I have barely picked up my camera in the last year. I've promised myself that I'm going to get some more scuba dives in this summer, will play with my cameras a bit more and I've even got my eye on a 1973 Triumph TR6. All this plus I've got eight sprint/Oly tris penciled in for this season. It's gonna be a tight season.

It seems that most serious tri-geeks that I've met tend to be singularly focused. Other than work, tri is often all they do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got hooked on collecting Swiss watches by a workout buddy.Thankfully training takes up so much time it keeps me out of the watch stores.Cullen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watching tv after a day of training is always good, reading (thanks Tom for all of the wonderful suggestions), eating (anything will do), taking my dog to the park (nothing brings a smile to my face like watching the joy my dog gets from going to the park, eating horse shit and swimming in water that has got to be near freezing and then coming out and getting icicles on her mouth).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too true...lots of things have gone by the wayside to make way for Tri. Principal among them for me have been golf and racquetball. I used to play golf about 3-4 times per week, and have now played 27 holes in the past 5 years, and precious little in the 5 years before that. As for racquetball, it's been the same, I haven't played in years, and used to play a couple times per week. I've also given up downhill skiing in favor of cross-country, the latter being better off-season training for tri (that, and the five knee operations I got mostly from downhill). Still do a lot of photography, hiking, mountain biking, canyoneering, etc., but tri, and things related thereto are pretty much my hobbies. It helps immensely that the wife is slightly more tri-obsessed than am I...otherwise I'd be in real trouble.

"...like every writer, he measured other men's virtues by what they had accomplished, yet asked that other men measure him by what he planned someday to do."
Quote Reply
Re: Other Hobbies? Poll [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Two questions: Besides the one on your website, wasn't there another iteration of your Marathon des Sables story published somewhere. I seem to recall having read it at one time? Great stroy, btw. Second, I've enjoyed your photography on your website as well...how's about a link to the pin-up stuff? ;^D

"...like every writer, he measured other men's virtues by what they had accomplished, yet asked that other men measure him by what he planned someday to do."
Quote Reply
Re: Other Hobbies? Poll [Lloyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Marathon Des Sables story and photos, along with some photos from 2001 Desert Cup in Jordan (right after 9/11)are on www.actiontom.com under desert racing.
The photos I've taken of girls I think of in the same way the drawing Leonardo Decaprio's character in "Titanic" made of Kate Winslett. Most of the photos are of girls I've dated who enjoyed being photographed and were good at it. One was a photo student and had done this work before. I never really show the photos to anyone other than other photographers or friends because of the content, so that stuff is like keeping a journal or something. A friend of mine with similar interests did recently win a prestigious photo award here in Detroit (Metro Times Photo Award) with photography similar to mine, so I briefly considered trying the same, and was even encouraged by at least one of my subjects, but have neve done it. Maybe someday. Girlfriends have a habit of becoming ex girlfriends so that stuff is best kept private.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In no particular order:

Photography, Large/Med format and digital SLR, mostly landscape, some street; Long distance hiking/mountaineering, I've done about 1/3 of the AT in small segments. plus Ranier, Shasta, and Fuji; Guitar, I've recently paired a 5 instrument collection down to 1; cooking, I studied at Johnson/Wales in Charleston SC while across town at the Citadel;

I've also done crazy stuff like jump out of airplanes, 800ft rappels from the New River Gorge Bridge, 300ft bungee jumps, drag-boating, road-course car driving at 180+mph speeds, etc, etc....You get the adrenaline junkie idea....

If pressed, I'd give up all of this if I had to choose between tri/du/cycling/running and the rest of it. I am obsessed with this sport!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, Like Cullen I collect watches. Expensive hobby
Aren't they all? Isn't it interesting that there don't seem to be any "boring" people in triathlons?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, some things have fallen by the wayside, probably mainly due to tri. I used to play golf, home brew, do more landscaping kind of stuff around the house and lift weights. All those have been more or less eliminated in the last 3 years.

In addition to the tri, though, I still do quite a bit of fishing, although that's diminished some due to tri also, and take 2 ski trips per year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I like swimming and running in addition to triathlons. Oh. Wait...

Really though, snowboarding. Gravity. Cold. Fast. Big airs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well... with all that best looking triathlete stuff from yesterday, etc., can you blame a guy for asking? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Martial arts. I love to spar! (And try to do so once a week.) Though Ironman training and martial arts do not mix well. Aside from that, reading, travel, shopping, email.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Other Hobbies? Poll [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you on the fishing Mr. Mike. The only thing that competes with Tri for me is fly fishing and this winter have taken up tying my own flies. Since all my other hobbies are so physical, it's nice to have one where I can actually relax a little.
Quote Reply
Re: Other Hobbies? Poll [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it gives you an efficient way of disposing of Drafters
:-)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hobbies that have fallen by the wayside for me are pistol target shooting, dirt biking and drag racing. I used to run a '68 Firebird at the local drag strip. I recently sold the dirt bike that I haven't ridden in 2-3 years. I bought a 1994 Mustang GT last year with the intent to start racing that car, made some mild modifications but I got full blown into du/tri training and racing and there went all my free time. Luckily I hadn't set the "chassis" and the rear end up yet for racing so I just drive it on the street for now. Slowly I'm accumulating parts and someday I'll race her.
Quote Reply
Re: Other Hobbies? Poll [JAY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's true that Multisport takes a lot of time, but it also enriches/can be enriched by my other activities which include:

1. One weekend per month in the U.S. Navy Reserves. I'm an EOD Diver dealing with water-bourne mines. I have 7 men whom I must manage/care for. They don't have nearly the same financial/personal stability with which I've been blessed so the Reserves keep me very grounded. Besides, the work we do has very little margin for error so it makes triathlon stress seem silly.

2. I coach 7 athletes (I cap myself at 10). Basically, I try to focus athletes on a holistic approach to self-improvement which recognizes that "training" has far more to do with balance than merely a list of workouts.

3. I'm married to a tremendously supportive woman who helps me reach my goals...Occasionally, I spend time with her as well;-) We also have two Old English Sheepdogs who need walks and attention.

4. Bike racing (Track, Cyclocross, Road, TT) for my competitive juices.

5. Some volunteer work for the American Cancer Society...My Team aspires to raise funds for Prostate/Colorectal Cancer-related programs in 2003.

6. Sleep/recover/eat...

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ohh man.. this tri thing has managed to completely kill at least 3.5 of my hobbies:

- electronic music production, recently ebayed 90% of my studio.. www.mp3.com/countercodes, minor in music theory that sorta went somewhere (not to mention years of lessons in flute and sax)
- tennis, that was my childhood sport.. years and years of lessons and coaching
- fast cars.. built a twin turbo Supra into a 470hp (rear wheel) beast, damn huge pit to burn my money in.. used to drag and track race her.. sold her to some college kid in Colorado, who continued building the car into an astounding monster
- weight lifting, did it for all the wrong reasons.. body went back to its natural state of super ectomorph, after only 6 months of "serious" tri training.. funny thing is, chicks seem to dig the extra skinny mike more than the wannabe big guns mike

mike
Quote Reply
Re: Other Hobbies? Poll [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impressive list of ecclectic accomplishments that show a nice balance in your life puskas.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Climbing

Climbing

and Climbing

and a little AR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with Tom in high altitude mountaineering (although I've climbed only 1 of the 7 summits - Aconcagua). This year, I'm looking forward trying Alpamayo, a beautiful mountain in Peru.

Riding my Suzuki 750cc is a great way to go more than 100K far away.

In addition to that, between one training session and other, I work a bit, just for fun...
Quote Reply

Prev Next