Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Osgood Schlatters
Quote | Reply
I’d like to about other adult’s experiences with OS. I have it in my left knee and it has bothered me since last summer (when I really focused on increasing my ftp). I have a hard time squatting down to pick something up off the floor. I try to stretch my quads but if literally feels like someone is stabbing me in the bump below my kneecap. I also use ibuprofen and Voltaren. Nothing seems to work.

I can still bike and run (with a little discomfort) but not enough to make me stop. I had taken three weeks off since my last race, yet the pain is still the same. I just wanted to hear about other’s experiences or suggestions before I make an appointment to see a doc.

Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Osgood Schlatters [jeepguy2358] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm. I had this when I was a freshman in high school and it was extremely painful but the doctors weren't worried it was going to develop into anything worse. I ran through it when I could stand the pain and rested when I couldn't. Downhills were the worst.

Now one of my older sisters also had it. She was a swimmer and not a runner. It was similar for her until she got into a car crash and tweaked her knee in some way that aggravated them. She ended up developing a pretty serious calcification or something right there that needed to be operated on and removed. I'm pretty sure it was still technically some kind of Osgood Schaltter though. Even for her though that was junior/senior year of high school. I was mostly under the impression it was common in kids who are still growing.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeepguy2358 wrote:
I’d like to about other adult’s experiences with OS. I have it in my left knee and it has bothered me since last summer (when I really focused on increasing my ftp). I have a hard time squatting down to pick something up off the floor. I try to stretch my quads but if literally feels like someone is stabbing me in the bump below my kneecap. I also use ibuprofen and Voltaren. Nothing seems to work.

I can still bike and run (with a little discomfort) but not enough to make me stop. I had taken three weeks off since my last race, yet the pain is still the same. I just wanted to hear about other’s experiences or suggestions before I make an appointment to see a doc.

how old are you? I was under the impression this was a teenage issue and was something those effected "grew out of" at adulthood.
Quote Reply
Re: Osgood Schlatters [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
43. Typically most people do grow out of it but unfortunately some of us don’t. My sports med doc confirmed it several years ago when I saw him for something else. It didn’t bother me then otherwise I would have had him treat me then.

Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have O-S, also in the left knee. It developed when i was a teenager (now 63), but I can't remember it ever being painful. My doctor noticed the bump, and said it was nothing to worry about.

Are you sure that it is the OS that is causing your knee pain, and not some other problem that just shows up as pain the OS bump ? Nerve responses are funny things and pain can get transferred around from place to place.

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Re: Osgood Schlatters [georgereid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georgereid wrote:
I have O-S, also in the left knee. It developed when i was a teenager (now 63), but I can't remember it ever being painful. My doctor noticed the bump, and said it was nothing to worry about.

Are you sure that it is the OS that is causing your knee pain, and not some other problem that just shows up as pain the OS bump ? Nerve responses are funny things and pain can get transferred around from place to place.

This was my thought as well.

I have it in both knees, and have since I was in my early teens. I used to wear neoprene knee braces but I think they were more of a placebo than anything. It was only certain things that caused it to hurt, and heaven help you if you hit the bump on a coffee table or something.

I would rule out anything else, and do weights that strengthen the muscles that cross the knee.
Quote Reply
Re: Osgood Schlatters [georgereid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georgereid wrote:

I'm going to schedule an appointment to confirm but the same doc told me it was OS. I've done quite a bit of quad strengthening this year (with very little stretching). A close friend who is a PT agrees that's what it is and recommended I tape it and work on stretching my quads. The bump is very painful but also just above it (on the patellar tendon) which he thinks if from constant tightness (hence the taping).

I want to just stretch but it's so painful. I was hoping for a "miracle" method that has worked for someone else before making the appointment! Lol...

Thanks for the suggestion. After seeing a couple responses questioning whether or not it is OS, I guess the only way is a true diagnosis by a medical professional.

Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Osgood Schlatters [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
georgereid wrote:

This was my thought as well.

I have it in both knees, and have since I was in my early teens. I used to wear neoprene knee braces but I think they were more of a placebo than anything. It was only certain things that caused it to hurt, and heaven help you if you hit the bump on a coffee table or something.

I would rule out anything else, and do weights that strengthen the muscles that cross the knee.

Thanks for the response! One thing a PT friend mentioned was that he feels I could have a weak posterior chain since we primarily work our anterior chain on a single plane. He suggested taping my knee and stretching my quads while starting a posterior chain workout program. I'm going to see my sports medicine doc for a true diagnosis though.

Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hope you get it figured out and fixed quickly. An that the solution (eg amputation) is not worse than the cure :-)

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have o-s both knees bigly. Ran stadiums with leg weights in youth, late physical developer so bones had to adapt. Not painful when young, but now older (than you) have to do almost daily maintenance not only on knees but hips and ankles to minimize compensation in knee. I found a lot of help from PT Kelly starrett’s website , the Ready State, and one of disciples Danny Matta. https://www.athletespotential.com/...f2f6029829-443247493

We are all a bit different but find the drills that help. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Osgood Schlatters [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had OS bad in both knees in middle school. The right knee resolved and never gave me problems. The left knee would always flare up with activity. I treated it as patellar tendonitis for years

In my 30's I finally saw a dr who did some imaging. There were osteophytes behind the patellar tendon causing irritation. The OS had caused chunks to form and hang out for 20 years. He removed via surgery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dealt with this between my freshman year to senior year of high school. Super painful and could barely do much of anything. About the time I was 18 it started to go away and now I am 30 years old and havent had any issues with it since then.
Quote Reply
Re: Osgood Schlatters [TNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had it in both knees at the same time when I was about 15. I recall it being very painful and lasting the summer. I played baseball back then and it was hard to run. The pain went away over the next year and I have never had any issues since. I do have a couple of big protusions below my knee cap.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeepguy2358 wrote:
Durhamskier wrote:
georgereid wrote:

Thanks for the response! One thing a PT friend mentioned was that he feels I could have a weak posterior chain since we primarily work our anterior chain on a single plane. He suggested taping my knee and stretching my quads while starting a posterior chain workout program. I'm going to see my sports medicine doc for a true diagnosis though.

Another PT here. There is another form of adult OS called Sinding-Larsen-Johansson disease (SLJD) but it is more the inferior pole of your patella (bottom of your patella where is attaches to your patellar tendon) that is inflamed and painful.

I would go see your PT friend for some light stretching and posterior chain exercises (think glute medius and hamstrings for stability and strengthening). Strengthening your quads is great but every time you work them more, you will get sore/tighter muscles from your muscle rebuilding. This will lead to more tension on your quad tendon and then patellar tendon, causing more pulling on the tibial tubercle (place of your pain).

Your MD will probably tell you its OS/SLJD and have you see the PT anyways. Your PT friend should know if it is something more serious that requires more eyes.

Good Luck!

--------- __o
------- _`\<,_
------ (*)/ (*)
Quote Reply
Re: Osgood Schlatters [srock24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
srock24 wrote:
jeepguy2358 wrote:
Durhamskier wrote:
georgereid wrote:

Another PT here. There is another form of adult OS called Sinding-Larsen-Johansson disease (SLJD) but it is more the inferior pole of your patella (bottom of your patella where is attaches to your patellar tendon) that is inflamed and painful.

I would go see your PT friend for some light stretching and posterior chain exercises (think glute medius and hamstrings for stability and strengthening). Strengthening your quads is great but every time you work them more, you will get sore/tighter muscles from your muscle rebuilding. This will lead to more tension on your quad tendon and then patellar tendon, causing more pulling on the tibial tubercle (place of your pain).

Your MD will probably tell you its OS/SLJD and have you see the PT anyways. Your PT friend should know if it is something more serious that requires more eyes.

Good Luck!

Thank you for the response! You hit the nail on the head. Went to the doc who said he isn't going to call it OS (because of my age and the fact that it started really bothering me 6 months ago). Instead, he is calling it Patellar Tendinopathy. Recommendation is PT with a focus on posterior chain strengthening. I'm not really doing an ST for my quads, it's just through biking and running. Therefore, I'm going to compliment that with a glute and hamstring focused ST and stretching plan. He also gave me a double strap to relieve pressure on tendon.

Team Zoot
Quote Reply