Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Orthotics advice?
Quote | Reply
My chiro suggests I get custom made orthotics. He measured each of my arches as dropping 5 mm when going from a sitting to standing position. I neither pronate or supinate. I have never had lower leg injuries. I am 44 years old.The chiro says orthotics will stabilize my pelvis and help prevent further lower back problems.

Would strengthing my core, including the hips, provide the same protection ?

Would wearing orthotics on bike or running help in transfer of force to pedal or road ?

Quote Reply
Re: Orthotics advice? [DanP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you need arch support, get shoes that support your arch. A good running store will give you what you need for a lot less than the $300 orthotics will cost.

There are people that need orthotics and they should get them on the recommendation from a doctor that deals with feet every day, not someone that makes their living by finding out what else is wrong with you when your back is straight. (Sorry chiropractors, I had a bad experience with a couple.) I would look for a podiatrist (sp?) that is into running, that would be the ultimate authority.

As for the bike, if your knee's wobble right and left as you pedal that might be an indication of an alignment problem that could be corrected with shims under your cleats. My feet are twisted in such a way that my knees move in when I apply downward pressure to the pedals. A local bike store helped me with that problem and my knees don't wobble anymore. Here is some info on the shims

http://www.lemondfitness.com/...ng_biomechanics.html

http://www.lemondfitness.com/...s/lewedge/index.html

I hope this helps

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Orthotics advice? [DanP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need to start by saying I am not a podiatirist, nor chiropractor so I have no expert opinion. I only have my own expirience and the understanding that orthodics work for me.

I use orthodics in my running shoes, ski boots, work boots, and cycling shoes that I use for cyclocross. I originally started with orthodics when I was having knee trouble from running more than 3-4 miles 3 times per week. I am a pronator. The orthodic solved the problem immediatly.

My occupation is Commercial real Estate developer and Manager. I am on my feet all day, up and down ladders basically 75% of my work day is manual labor. As I grew older my lower back was giving me real problems. Chiropractors could eleviate the pain, but only for short periods of time. I decided to give orthodics a try in my work boots. They worked for the most part, and I only say that because after a couple of 12-13 hours days in a row, anyones back should hurt.

The basic premis is that a person's alignment begins from the ground, where and how your feet end up on each step. from there it translates all the way up to your neck. In a sense the old saying "your foot bone is connected to your leg bone,"etc.

Like bicycle fitting, the use of orthodics either custom of off the shelf should only be applied by a podiatrist that understands athletes and the pains associated with them.

I use a Tenant of mine that has been doing custom Orthodics for over 20 years. The name of his company is FASTECH LABS, in Troy Michigan (20miles north of Detroit). There are lots of custom products out there so chosing the right one is important. Another important bit of info, is that orthodics break down and our physiology changes over time. So getting new ones for me has been an annual occurance. They are much like running shoes.

Best of luck, I hope this helps.

JT
Quote Reply
Re: Orthotics advice? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"(Sorry chiropractors, I had a bad experience with a couple.) I would look for a podiatrist (sp?) that is into running, that would be the ultimate authority."

I'm a chiropractor and would agree if there is a good podiatrist in your area that's into running that would likely be your best choice. I sell orthotics in the office but more as a sideline. At one time I shared office space with a podiatrist and instead referred across the hall to her.
Quote Reply
Re: Orthotics advice? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for being so nice. I really expected to get blasted for that comment. I was having problems with my back from getting hit so much while playing hockey and I believe the chiro I was seeing, saw a goldmine. By admitting that you refer someone to a podiatrist shows me that your intrested in solving their problem and not a buck.

I agree with the idea of not using drugs and surgery to fix the body, in fact I rarely even use pain relievers because it just masks the pain and doesn't solve the problem, except maybe inflamation. Alignment in the body is important but I am more cautious now of who I get it from. I really wanted Dan to think long and hard about who to trust and not go with the opinion of just one person.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Orthotics advice? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"By admitting that you refer someone to a podiatrist shows me that your intrested in solving their problem and not a buck."

In order to prescribe orthotics there has to be a legitimate clinical reason. It's not something that can legitimately or ethically be done as a routine every time somebody enters the office. I'm now in a rural area and don't have a podiatrist nearby to refer to if I feel a patient could benefit from orthotics. I only fit a couple of pairs a month on average. As a chiropractor, it's just an adjunct, not the main basis of what we do.
Quote Reply