Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Orthotics Q - revisited
Quote | Reply
I am a severe pronator... and as such, buy shoes to accomodate that. I recently had custom orthotics made and have been running with them for the last few months.

My questions is: should the orthotics compensate for the pronation? Should I still be buying the same shoes or should I move to a more neutral shoe?
Quote Reply
Re: Orthotics Q - revisited [M.S.kansan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In theory, the orthotics are supposed to do the job and you'd now buy a neutral shoe. Just remember to to take the foot liner out of the shoe before putting in the orthotic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should really ask the doctor who made the orthodics about that. They can/should? recommend the best shoes to match the specific orthodics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear orthotics, the best shoe I've ever worn for orthotics is the New Balance 880. My orthotics fit it like a glove. It's a neutral shoe with good cushioning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agter having a stress fracture I was fitted with custom orthotics at $400+ a pop. I was told by the Dr that I should no longer use motion control shoes,that the orto's took care of that. I took His advice,did not work. Had all kind of pain problems(calf,shin,where I previosly fractured ect..)Went back to buying my old shoes.........Never had a problem since. I can say that I went from MC shoe to a stability shoe after 2 more yrs of running. Do not know if the Ortho's helped to slowly change my stride or if just running more. FWIW Hope this helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the answer is... it depends.

If your overpronation was due to a misalignment in your foot and the orthotics realigned everything properly, hey you'll buy a neutral shoe, stick the orthotic in and you'll be all set. This works if say you have really flexible arches and the reason for your pronation is that your medial arch is collapsing during your footstrike causing you to roll too much inwards. The orthotic if properly made (one big hint, NOT GOODFEET) should lift your arch back into a nuetral position and no more pronation from that.

If your overpronation is from something else like being knock-kneed, muscle imbalances or fun stuff like that then the orthotic will help but you'll still probably be in a motion control type shoe. probably not as stable as before, but on the medial side but you'll still need some stability.

Basically the orthotic stableizes you foot and if it's your feet that are the problem then the orthotic may fix everything. Now many other problems are related and interrelated to foot problems and vice-versa. But if the problem is not only in your feet, the orthotic won't be a cure all. I swear by my orthotics, heavy-ass pain in the butts that I swear hold water and get even heavier on hot days, but I still swear by them.

Personally I wear a mild stability shoe without orthotics. With orthotics I'm in a nuetral cushioned shoe making sure that the lateral edge is a little on the firmer side so that I don't over correct and start supinating.

you may find a different shoe will accomodate you orthotics and feet better than the shoe you had before though. go for a higher volume shoe built on a straighter last. orthotics often work better with a nice straight base versus a high curvy fast shoe

Good luck, Tai
Quote Reply
Re: Orthotics Q - revisited [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one flat foot and one high arch. The orthotics have very little cushion so I am anxious to try a more cushioned shoe (I am just under 200 lbs and 6 foot).

I am about to order two new pair of shoes... the Kayano and 2080 set up has been working but was thinking of making one pair more neutral.

Sounds like (with the guidence provided) I should move forward and see what workd best.

Thanks for all of the input everyone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try a Brooks Dyad II, like a beast/addiction without the added medial support. comes in wides (2E) as well. very stable yet a purely nuetral shoe that fits orthotics great due to it's straight lasting and rather thick oem insole. Take the oem insole out and there is plenty of room for orthotics. Did I mention that it has tons of cushioing for big boys and that it's pretty damn light and durable... If you like asics try a Nimbus (more cushioning) or a cumulus (orthotic may fit better), but give the Dyads a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried a "stability"* shoe with a Sofsole 'motion control' orthotic($25-30). It's great. Some of you with severe pronation might try that orthotic with your motion control shoe, before you plunk a few c's for custom orthotics.

*(Stability shoes are between 'cushion' and 'motion control')

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply