Quote | Reply
https://twitter.com/IRONMANtri/status/1026906403242471426

RIP Marine!
Quote Reply
Re: Original Ironman Tom Knoll passes away. [MikeyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RIP Tom.

One of the original 15 Ironmen! :-)

With the 40th anniversary this year of the first IRONMAN Hawaii, now the IRONMAN World Championships, it's brought into sharp focus for me that it is starting to have been a long time ago, when the birth of the sport of triathlon happened from which sprung that first IRONMAN race!

There is a history there! There are lot's of stories.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Original Ironman Tom Knoll passes away. [MikeyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RIP, Tom...
Quote Reply
Re: Original Ironman Tom Knoll passes away. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know how many of the originals are still left and how many still race Kona on a fairly regular basis?

Quote | Reply
Babbitville radio had an interview with Gordon Haller recently, he seems pretty motivated to come back to Kona. I think he's done it 20 times over 40 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first Ironman was not the birth of modern triathlon. That honor goes to Mission Bay, San Diego. Held a few years before that seminal event in Hawaii.

[yes, splitting hairs]
Last edited by: CharlesYTri: Aug 8, 18 11:38
Quote Reply
Re: Original Ironman Tom Knoll passes away. [CharlesYTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first Ironman was not the birth of modern triathlon. That honor goes to Mission Bay, San Diego. Held a few years before that seminal event in Hawaii.

Yes - of course. Read my post over again! IRONMAN was NOT the first triathlon. :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darn....I had to read it a couple more times. Maybe it's the smoke from the Holy Fire.
Just looking for excuses......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And one of the BEST story-tellers and history teachers in the sport is Bob Babbitt. In our interview with Bob you'll hear about some crazy Suzuki mechanic called Ned Overend, about some crazy sport called triathlon, and Bob's interesting meeting with Tom Warren at his "office" check it out below

http://www.fitspeek.com

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back when I still ran 5 years ago, I would see him almost every Sunday morning shuffling around Waikiki in his original finisher's shirt.
Quote Reply