Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Orbea Ordu 2021
Quote | Reply
The new Orbea Ordu is out.
https://experience.orbea.com/...at-makes-ordu-unique

I must admit that it looks pretty nice to me.

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: Orbea Ordu 2021 [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crowie finally got his bike!!

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Oct 1, 20 7:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bars without monoposts are going to start looking quite dated soon. Interesting that they settled on a very slim fork profile rather than giving the wheel lots of space. Not like there's been a consensus either way but the trend seems to have been trending towards the wide forks.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to see Orbea getting serious about tri again. I would ride that bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks quite nice indeed! Orbea is doing a great job on the design front lately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. My thoughs:

-Looks like a complete 180 from their previous "Freeflow" aero fork philosophy.
-Cockpit adjustability looks extensive and relatively easy.
-Not easy to visualize what the actual frame differences are between the S/M and M/S sizes. Is it maybe just cockpit and seat post length differences on the same frame?
-Not sure what to think of the toolbox. Looks out of place on the light colored frames; not so much on the darker ones. And' I'd worry about the lid coming open on a bump and the tools spilling out (how ironic would it be if you ran over your own flat kit with your rear tire and got a flat?). But it is out of the way and I'm open to the idea that it may be an aerodynamically advantageous location.
-Like that they offer a fairly well equipped mech version for under $5k , and a frameset at a competitive $3799....plus no-cost MyO paint customization at all price points.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good looking bike, but they are now all looking the same. I find it odd that they do not feature anyone riding with a high hands position that is very popular now as well.

All their marketing, and unless I missed something, not a single picture of their sponsored triathlete that is all bout the bike. Am I wrong??

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Orbea Ordu 2021 [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Bars without monoposts are going to start looking quite dated soon.

Agreed. It's only a matter of time for someone to make a bar that combines a monopost design and treks micro pad x adjustment capability to maximize fine tuning adjustments on the fly.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, but it doesn't appear to have bosses on the top tube for a bento system (not a dealbreaker, just an observation)

I like the price point, too. $7000 for Ultegra Di2, hydraulic disc brakes, and Vision 55mm race wheels on the 2nd tier bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Orbea Ordu 2021 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Crowie finally got his bike!!

This comment for the win.
Quote Reply
Re: Orbea Ordu 2021 [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:

-Not sure what to think of the toolbox. Looks out of place on the light colored frames; not so much on the darker ones. And' I'd worry about the lid coming open on a bump and the tools spilling out (how ironic would it be if you ran over your own flat kit with your rear tire and got a flat?). But it is out of the way and I'm open to the idea that it may be an aerodynamically advantageous location.

Looks like it is a functional version of the "shark fin" on the Trek SC.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Orbea Ordu 2021 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
gary p wrote:

Looks like it is a functional version of the "shark fin" on the Trek SC.

Not quite, as it doesn't extend below the bottom bracket. Of course, there's no rear brake that needs faired, so maybe it doesn't need to?

Quote Reply
Re: Orbea Ordu 2021 [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure if they got a new design team or what, but if I had to buy all of 1 brand of bike, I think it would be Orbea right now. Orca/Orca aero/ Oiz and now Ordu, all seem like great bikes right now.
Also I think the no pro rider thing is part of their marketing plan, they dont show team riders on their XC or Road bikes that I can see.
Quote Reply
Re: Orbea Ordu 2021 [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eroc43 wrote:
I am not sure if they got a new design team or what, but if I had to buy all of 1 brand of bike, I think it would be Orbea right now. Orca/Orca aero/ Oiz and now Ordu, all seem like great bikes right now.
Also I think the no pro rider thing is part of their marketing plan, they dont show team riders on their XC or Road bikes that I can see.

I agree, Orbea is on a roll, although the Orca Aero, with it's exposed cabling, is already looking a bit dated next to their newer stuff. Even the $1599 Tiagra-level alloy Avant now has semi-integrated cabling. Wonder how much faster, if any, the Orca Aero is than the Orca OMX. The Terra's getting dated, too.

I actually like the potential range of the new Orca OMR. Racey enough geo for road/crit/draf-legal-tri racing, yet clearance for up to 35c tires for comfort on endurance rides.

As for marketing, Starkowitz was front-and-center on the page for the old Ordu as recently as this summer. Maybe they aren't bringing their athletes in for photography out of caution over Covid-19?

Last edited by: gary p: Oct 1, 20 11:01
Quote Reply
Re: Orbea Ordu 2021 [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I forgot the Orca aero did not get the same update this year as the Orca. Wonder if the Aero will continue, or go the way of the venge.
I would not be surprised if the Terra gets an update next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eroc43 wrote:

Preach! The Occam is one of the best trail bikes on offer right now too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eroc43 wrote:

Not quite no pro...they are the primary sponsor of the rebirth of the Euskadi cycling team (as pro continental). But that team's first year was this year, and it's been kind of cancelled for obvious reasons.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn. Kind of wishing I hadn’t just bought a new bike. Had zero idea this was in the works or probably would have waited.

Looks super badass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like how this bike looks. It's sweet. For a straight up TT hells yeah!

Yet, I'm going to be the naysayer on this thread.

In today's tri world that's a TT bike or a sprint or oly tri bike, not a 70.3 for the masses, maybe the more discriminant STer, but not the avg triathlete and definitely not an IM focused bike. Orbea missed the mark on the LC segment, which is biggest segment of the market, at least the NA market.

It doesn't answer the questions around storage. Where to place bottles or food. Most triathletes are going to end up hanging stuff all over that bike negating many of the benefits they designed it for. You're seeing it's fastest iteration. A tiny aero downtube bottle, no bosses, no integrated aero neutral storage options.

The avg triathlete is going to make that bike the equivalent of a U-haul truck.

Does it look good? It sure does. Do you think it solves hydration& nutrition issues for IM racing?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Oct 1, 20 12:26
Quote Reply
Re: Orbea Ordu 2021 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know they sponsor pro riders/ teams. It just seems they don't use them as the primary imagery on their site as it seems most other companies do.
Quote Reply
Re: Orbea Ordu 2021 [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thinking more on it, the lack of top tube bosses is pushing me away from considering it. I have the 2008 Ordu and have always relied on a single bottle behind the saddle and a bottle mounted BTA for long course, so I can forgive the lack of integration there (my flat kit was in an aero bottle on the down tube), but I shouldn't have to strap anything down on a 2021 bike.

Hopefully they'll put some more bosses on the frames once they go to production (the MyO custom page said it'd be ready in February). It'd look pretty rad if they integrated a bento like Cervelo did with the P5!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming the downtube has bosses? Maybe that's not a good assumption. Bosses on the toptube, and for a BTA setup would be nice for sure, as would something streamlined for the seatpost. Those would be fairly easy for Orbea to add though.

desert dude wrote:
I like how this bike looks. It's sweet. For a straight up TT hells yeah!

Yet, I'm going to be the naysayer on this thread.

In today's tri world that's a TT bike or a sprint or oly tri bike, not a 70.3 for the masses, maybe the more discriminant STer, but not the avg triathlete and definitely not an IM focused bike. Orbea missed the mark on the LC segment, which is biggest segment of the market, at least the NA market.

It doesn't answer the questions around storage. Where to place bottles or food. Most triathletes are going to end up hanging stuff all over that bike negating many of the benefits they designed it for. You're seeing it's fastest iteration. A tiny aero downtube bottle, no bosses, no integrated aero neutral storage options.

The avg triathlete is going to make that bike the equivalent of a U-haul truck.

Does it look good? It sure does. Do you think it solves hydration& nutrition issues for IM racing?
Quote Reply
Re: Orbea Ordu 2021 [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Bars without monoposts are going to start looking quite dated soon. Interesting that they settled on a very slim fork profile rather than giving the wheel lots of space. Not like there's been a consensus either way but the trend seems to have been trending towards the wide forks.

Though the move to form fitting aerobars has meant that there is now a number of conversion available that make mono stackers into dual stack to fit the aerobars e.g. d2z, Aerocoach and wattshop's speed concept adapters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has the downtube storage for a flat kit, bottle BTA, bottle behind the seat is all I need for 70.3 racing. Obviously YMMV, but for me it would be perfect for anything 70.3 or less, which is all I'd race anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a bonus it looks like it's also stock UCI legal based on the marketing. I'm guessing you'll have to pull the box off the bottom, hopefully they have something to fill the hole with.
Last edited by: jhammond: Oct 1, 20 13:37
Quote Reply

Prev Next