Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Optimum psi???
Quote | Reply
Hey, I know this has been discussed before. But I was wondering what the best psi is for a fairly smooth road. I haven't yet ridden on my new vittoria open corsa tubulars and I have a race coming soon so I need to know. My LBS said that 120 psi is what I should run and that anything above will slow you down, and that even 115 isn't too low if it's a ruff road. Are these numbers in the range because i know there's some people that run way higher than these. Thanks a lot the help!

Cody
Quote Reply
Re: Optimum psi??? [Spiderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know if it is optimal but I run my tires (conti gp 3k) at 115-120psi and it works for me.

A
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My LBS said that 120 psi is what I should run and that anything above will slow you down,

Why would it slow you down?

Tests have shown that you will not reduce the rolling resistance any more once you reach 120 psi.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think your LBS is right. 120 is fine for smooth surfaces for 21-23 mm tires, on rough surfaces it's better to reduce the pressure a bit to get a smoother and faster ride. Lower pressure on rough surfaces is faster since it evens out the surface, makes it possible to roll straight forward without the small vertical "jumps" which requires energy.

Higher pressure on narrow tires, lower on wider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say that the combined weight of the rider and bike would also play a role in optimum tyre pressure. A heavier rider would need a higher tyre pressure to keep the same area of tyre in contact with the road as a lighter rider. Seems logical to me but please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Put the bunny back in the box.
Quote Reply