Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Opinions on carbon seatstays
Quote | Reply
Have you tried or do you own a road/tri bike with carbon seatstays? If so do you notice any difference: stiffenss? ride comfort? etc?

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on carbon seatstays [Goodtime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a QR Caliente with the fiddle-shaped carbon seat stays. I also own a 2001 Litespeed Tuscany, with the curved non-carbon seat stays. I think the Caliente is the more comfortable ride at the saddle on rough pavement. If there is a difference in power transfer I haven't detected it yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Placebo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carbon stays are something I had struggled with for a while. I was lead to believe that the concerns of galvanic corrosion and the like were not addressed, which made me think that the Frankenbike (as I called them) was bad. I felt that it was very faddish.

A conversation with a supplier had assuaged my fears, as the glue does insulate.

What I get out of the carbon stays thing:

a) a better chance for a perfectly aligned rear triangle, as there is only a short socket to weld onto the BB and/or seat tube.

b) a small amount of comfort, though it really is in the top tube and the geometry of the bike as far as comfort.

c) absolutely no weight savings on an al frame, nominal on ti, maybe a bit more than nominal in steel frames. May add weight to an al frame (okay, almost a 150% possibility).

d) addtional stiffness in the rear traingle, especially when used as both seat AND chainstays.

e) if done right, it helps track better.

I would go for the higher-bang situation, both the chain and seat stays. I would get a metal chainstay protector. Mandaric Sc frameset with full carbon rear end would be a good choice.
Quote Reply