Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Opinions Needed: Chamois Brand and Origin
Quote | Reply
Can I get a quick opinion from people?

Does Chamois Brand matter to you as a consumer? (E.g. Elastic Interface, Cytech, TMF, Etc.)
If Yes, what chamois brands do you equate with quality?
What Brand Chamois does PEARLiZUMi use? Castelli? Rapha? etc.

Do you choose a brand of short because you know the chamois will work.
e.g. "I only buy Assos because I know they'll work"

What is it about the chamois that makes a difference?
Padding, shape, modesty panel?

Does the country of Origin matter?
Does "Italian" lend a certain trust or mystique. "Made from Italian Fabric with an Italian sourced chamois?"
How about chamois made in Asia? Do you assume the quality is the same, better, worse?

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Mar 5, 18 11:35
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions Needed: Chamois Brand and Origin [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The castelli pad is very nice IMO. It is a firm pad that is enough on the bike but disappears on the run. It holds up well month after month. It’s hard to describe it...firm, but supportive. Don’t care much about descriptions as they don’t sway my thoughts...I just try new shorts out based on others opinions and recommendations, and see if they line up with my own expectations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
Can I get a quick opinion from people?

Does Chamois Brand matter to you as a consumer?
If Yes, what chamois brands do you equate with quality?
What Brand Chamois does PEARLiZUMi use? Castelli? Rapha? etc.

Do you choose a brand of short because you know the chamois will work.
e.g. "I only buy Assos because I know they'll work"

What is it about the chamois that makes a difference?
Padding, shape, modesty panel?

Does the country of Origin matter?
Does "Italian" lend a certain trust or mystique.
How about chamois made in Asia? Do you assume the quality is the same, better, worse?

You seem to be confused. As you depict it, there are branded chamois that other companies use in their shorts. It is my experience that all companies develop and use their own chamois, and if they are procuring generic ones elsewhere, they certainly don't advertise that fact.

And in answer to your questions, yes, my perception of how well the chamois works for me is central to my choice of bike/tri shorts/suits.
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions Needed: Chamois Brand and Origin [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:

You seem to be confused. As you depict it, there are branded chamois that other companies use in their shorts. It is my experience that all companies develop and use their own chamois, and if they are procuring generic ones elsewhere, they certainly don't advertise that fact.

And in answer to your questions, yes, my perception of how well the chamois works for me is central to my choice of bike/tri shorts/suits.

No companies manufacture their own Chamois. Yes, some companies work in conjunction with chamois manufacturers (chamois brands) to develop a chamois for their particular line of apparel. Other apparel companies will purchase an "off the shelf" product from the chamois manufacturer.

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
niccolo wrote:

No companies manufacture their own Chamois. Yes, some companies work in conjunction with chamois manufacturers (chamois brands) to develop a chamois for their particular line of apparel. Other apparel companies will purchase an "off the shelf" product from the chamois manufacturer.

Fascinating, I suppose we can add this to the list of forum conversations where someone who's a rank amateur (me) calls out someone with deep subject matter expertise (you). Mea culpa.

But I'm still confused. Regardless of who actually manufactures chamois, I don't see any company advertising "we use brand X chamois in our product." So whether it's custom manufactured or off the shelf, I think of the chamois Castelli uses in their shorts as a Castelli product. Personally, I guess I could care less who does the actual manufacturing or whether a particular chamois is "off the shelf" or not. All I care about how well a particular chamois works for me. I suppose if I found out that another manufacturer was using a chamois that I already knew worked well for me, that might make me interested in their shorts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of companies use Elastic Interface for their chamois http://www.elasticinterface.com/

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's not confused. Lots of companies outsource their chamois. And contrary to your statement, some even do advertise the branded chamois they use.

To the OP, yes, chamois matters a lot. But in most cases, I don't know who makes the chamois, much less the country of origin. It comes down to overall preference, derived from trial and error.

To me, a chamois matters more on the run than the bike. I like Wattie's chamois because it doesn't get in my way when I bike, but, more importantly, it doesn't cause me distress when I run.

Second place for me is Castelli.

I think you're asking some good questions, but I apologize that I can't pinpoint the single thing that matters most. I like thin, but I don't like Kiwami's thin (stitching is palpable to my nethers). I like Castelli, but their chamois fall apart too soon. I like HUUB, but the chamois doesn't come up far enough in the front, which can rub your unit the wrong way if you're not positioned just quite right. I think I would like Skinfit, but their ordering/return system in the U.S. doesn't really allow you to figure out what works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I figured there must be different brands of chamois but it appears to be a closely-guarded proprietary secret.. no idea what brand is in any of my shorts, nor is there a way to find out.

http://www.pearlizumi.com/Pearl_Izumi_Chamois
"PEARL iZUMi has been working for over 25 years on our proprietary chamois development."

so, not a brand then ?
;-)

yes it matters, but really have to buy the shorts to figure it out.. since designs change and those changes are not usually advertised.

Quote Reply
Re: Opinions Needed: Chamois Brand and Origin [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HVP wrote:
He's not confused. Lots of companies outsource their chamois. And contrary to your statement, some even do advertise the branded chamois they use.

To the OP, yes, chamois matters a lot. But in most cases, I don't know who makes the chamois, much less the country of origin. It comes down to overall preference, derived from trial and error.

To me, a chamois matters more on the run than the bike. I like Wattie's chamois because it doesn't get in my way when I bike, but, more importantly, it doesn't cause me distress when I run.

Second place for me is Castelli.

I think you're asking some good questions, but I apologize that I can't pinpoint the single thing that matters most. I like thin, but I don't like Kiwami's thin (stitching is palpable to my nethers). I like Castelli, but their chamois fall apart too soon. I like HUUB, but the chamois doesn't come up far enough in the front, which can rub your unit the wrong way if you're not positioned just quite right. I think I would like Skinfit, but their ordering/return system in the U.S. doesn't really allow you to figure out what works.

Yep, see my follow up post above.

I haven't seen any advertising of a chamois branded differently than the product--I assume that's a fairly niche thing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:

Fascinating, I suppose we can add this to the list of forum conversations where someone who's a rank amateur (me) calls out someone with deep subject matter expertise (you). Mea culpa.

In all honesty, your answer was perfect. As a consumer, not knowing these things is not a bad thing.

In further honesty, I'm asking because I know a bit about the body and a little about making product. But, I have a lot to learn and am asking because these are questions that I'm asking myself. This what I think about when I ride my bike, not when I'm sitting at my desk. Ultimately this has little to do with the product that we create and everything to do with me being a curious individual.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
niccolo wrote:

In all honesty, your answer was perfect. As a consumer, not knowing these things is not a bad thing.

In further honesty, I'm asking because I know a bit about the body and a little about making product. But, I have a lot to learn and am asking because these are questions that I'm asking myself. This what I think about when I ride my bike, not when I'm sitting at my desk. Ultimately this has little to do with the product that we create and everything to do with me being a curious individual.

Yeah, I also like geeking out on stuff even when it doesn't necessarily have practical applications for me. So, I'd be curious if you cared to characterize the chamois marketplace. Are there a few dominant producers? Do multiple major companies source from some of the same producers? Can one generalize about the producers at all, e.g. this company tends to make a more durable product, etc.? Basically, what might an amateur cyclist be interested in learning about the chamois market (including stuff that actually has practical implications)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Castelli pads (or similar ones described below by me). I have become particularly attuned to chamois in the last year or so and it is now the primary driving force for my purchase of shorts. Stitching where the chamois meets the short is a big no no for me. I used to love De Soto because they lasted forever, but there is a LOT of stitching which probably helps it last but also become the source of irritation for me. I now need shorts where the chamois just sort of ends/falls off the sides with little connection to the short. Castelli tri pad is decent size, and no stitching ; just one solid piece and fits that bill well. Assos is a fantastic cycling pad but too bulky; if they sold a
smaller size chamois for cycling, I would be interested.

Having said that I’m not wedded to any brand. If the chamois meets my comfort needs, I’ll try it. It just so happens that the Castelli tri pad does whether they actually make it or not. I could care less what country it is made in.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Mar 5, 18 15:55
Quote Reply