Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Opinions: Best Route for FTP Test
Quote | Reply
Looking for the opinions of the expert ST'ers here. I've always done my FTP tests on the trainer because I don't have an ideal spot outdoors. But I'm finding my outdoor power is lower than indoors so I want to do a proper outdoor test. Here is what I have available and I'm interested what you would do. This all I have available; there are no other options:

Option #1: 20 minute flat stretch with 5 slowdowns (STOP signs which usually have no cross traffic). Excellent pavement (bike path).

Option #2: 8 minute flat stretch with no stops (would be 2 turnarounds to get a 20 minute test). Excellent pavement (bike path).

Option #3: 20 minute road loop with 4 slight slowdowns (right turns without stops). 300 ft of elevation gain/loss and the pavement condition is “fair” at best.

For that important repeatability factor, I'm leaning towards #2 or #3. I'd be inclined to use Normalized Power as the test result from # 1 or 2.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions: Best Route for FTP Test [86forty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say three, but mainly because I could never imagine doing an FTP test on a bike path... Especially if it's frequented at all by other users.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of those, I would choose no. 3. Stop signs and turn-arounds don't really fit well with an FTP test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would choose Option #3 and do three consecutive loops for the test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Option 2. do the 2x8minute test on the 8 minute stretch with no stops?

I found it hard to push on the downhills when I did an 20 minute FTP test on a route with slight rolls. This route also had stop signs and a turnaround, but I found that less annoying, so I would prefer option 1 or option 2 to option 3. I did the 2x8minute a week later on a flat route with no stops and my estimated FTP was within 3 Watts of the other test.
Last edited by: pknight: Jul 3, 19 8:33
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions: Best Route for FTP Test [pknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pknight wrote:
I did the 2x8minute a week later on a flat route with no stops and my estimated FTP was within 3 Watts of the other test.
Do you think you will be able to hold your estimated FTP from the 2x8' test for a 40K TT?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
86forty wrote:
Looking for the opinions of the expert ST'ers here. I've always done my FTP tests on the trainer because I don't have an ideal spot outdoors. But I'm finding my outdoor power is lower than indoors so I want to do a proper outdoor test. Here is what I have available and I'm interested what you would do. This all I have available; there are no other options:

Option #1: 20 minute flat stretch with 5 slowdowns (STOP signs which usually have no cross traffic). Excellent pavement (bike path).

Option #2: 8 minute flat stretch with no stops (would be 2 turnarounds to get a 20 minute test). Excellent pavement (bike path).

Option #3: 20 minute road loop with 4 slight slowdowns (right turns without stops). 300 ft of elevation gain/loss and the pavement condition is “fair” at best.

For that important repeatability factor, I'm leaning towards #2 or #3. I'd be inclined to use Normalized Power as the test result from # 1 or 2.

Thanks in advance.

For your own sake (and that of others), please don't do all out tests on a bike path. One can always squeeze the brake while making right hand turns while still piling on the power. It may affect power just slightly

So Option 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#3 For sure
Also it would matter a bit if you are doing it on a road bike or on a TT bike. On a road bike, 4 slowdown are not a problem at all! A quick 5sec coast will actually do you well, if you're pushing 300+ on a TT bike, I hope you have decent handling!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All bike paths are different. I have one very near me which I ride all the time. There are sections of it near entrances where it's usually crowded, other sections are more isolated. If I get out at sunrise nowadays at 5 am, 95% of the time I won't encounter another person at all on my 10 mile out n back. And I do my vo2 max 4 minute intervals on the path at this time. Granted, I still ride heads up and am not burying myself in an all out ftp test. But, I don't touch the path with a ten foot pole if it's a weekend after 10a or 5p on weekdays due to amount of people using it. Then, I can't go 200 feet without having to have people move over, a dog going crazy at me, or kid darting out in front of you. Or all the above simultaneously.

So, exercise caution and know your path but I wouldn't rule it out if you know you'll encounter zero or only one or two people depending on location and time of day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
option 3

Are you going to use the same route for the 5 min blow out that should precede the 20 min test?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Opinions: Best Route for FTP Test [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
option 3

Are you going to use the same route for the 5 min blow out that should precede the 20 min test?

don't complicate it!
Quote Reply