Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Open letter to Dev (and others) why do you continue to cycle after a life altering crash?
Quote | Reply

Dev,

First off, I am a long time Dev fan and I have enjoyed reading your posts over the years. I have learned a lot from you and you are always a gentleman.

I recall several years ago you had a very bad cycling accident while racing somewhere in Europe (I believe Switzerland). I read with interest about your very long journey back. While I hope I am wrong, I suspect you never fully recovered from your injuries. Despite this, you still bike. In fact, you recently posted you hope to cycle 10,000 kilometers in 2019. My question is why? Knowing that if you continue to bike, you will crash again, why do you continue?

I ask because recently I had a bad crash and I am all but certain I am done cycling outdoors. I am just not willing to take the chance of crashing again.

I am 59 and have been lifting, running, cycling, and swimming my whole life. Until my accident, I was in excellent shape. While not fast by ST standards, I completed a full IM each year from 2007 through 2017 (11 starts, 11 finishes).

Then eight weeks ago things changed in a hurry.

On January 13th (as bad luck would have it), I was riding alone on a closed path an hour before sunrise (I had two big lights). Less than 1.5 miles into my ride I hit a deer while I was going 21 mph (thank Garmin for the data). The deer must have jumped out of the brush. When I first saw it, the deer’s head was about two feet from mine. I literally could have touched the deer’s eye. I can still see it clearly. I had no time to do anything. I went down hard and couldn’t get up no matter how hard I tried. So I just laid there waiting for help. I did not have my cellphone. One of the many dumb things I did that morning.

After 30 to 40 minutes, a runner found me. It was still pitch black. Unfortunately, he too didn’t have a phone, so he had to run back to his car to call an ambulance.

Fast forward, to the hospital. I broke 11 bones – three fractured vertebrae (one a compression fracture), six ribs (three displaced), scapula and glenoid (glenoid is the socket of the ball-and-socket shoulder joint, not sure if it’s part of the scapula). The glenoid had to be put back together with three plates and screws. I was in the hospital eight days.

Eight weeks later I am still in a lot of pain and I can barely move the arm connected to my injured shoulder. Between my shoulder and my compression fracture, there is very little I can do.

I can’t swim, lift, run, or even ride a stationary bike. The good news is, I am getting better every day and can do the elliptical trainer (which I hate) and use a kickboard with fins in the pool.

I would be interested to hear from you (Dev) and others who had bad crashes. Knowing the risks, why do you continue to ride outdoors.

While I did some dumb things that morning, no matter how careful you are, you can crash. I guess that’s why they call them accidents.

Please don’t ask about the deer. I have no idea what happened to it.

Last edited by: imsparticus: Mar 14, 19 13:05
Quote Reply
Re: Open letter to Dev (and others) why do you continue to cycle after a life altering crash? [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this comes down to personality type. I'm 61. Broke my neck 20 months ago on my gravel bike and started riding outdoors as soon as it was safe from a recovery standpoint. In fact, I was at tri Nationals almost exactly a year after the accident. I have friends who after one crash with nothing more than a lot of painful road rash, are done with biking on pavement. Auto racing is a great example. Find Scott Dixon's Indy accident on YouTube among many others and those guys can't get back in the car fast enough.

Geoff from Indy
http://www.tlcendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Open letter to Dev (and others) why do you continue to cycle after a life altering crash? [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
My question is why? Knowing that if you continue to bike, you will crash again, why do you continue?
I can't speak for Dev but I am going to do what I'm going to do. I had several pretty bad wrecks as a kid, maybe that desensitized me a bit? As an adult, it was snowboarding that got me, and then a couple minor things on the bike.

I've also been in two car crashes and I've had other sports injuries as well -- ACL tear (same knee, twice), that sort of thing.

But you can't make the assumption "you will crash again". Past events are not an indicator of future ones. Maybe I'll crash, maybe not. But I am not going to live my life in a box just because of the fear of something bad happening.

I take the precautions that I feel are reasonable for me. I don't ride at night or in terrible weather, I try to maintain high visibility clothing / lights, I don't ride alongside high speed traffic, and I hit bike trails whenever possible. If your comfort level is different, or if that fear makes you miserable every time you ride outside, then it's understandable if you gave it up. That's just not me though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been hit from behind by cars twice. In both cases the driver was distracted, but in neither was he drunk or on a phone. Neither kept me from road riding, but they were two very different experiences.

The first time was relatively low speed. I bounced of the windshield and onto the ground. With three layers of winter clothes I was barely scratched. I walked the bike home and rode another the next day. But for weeks I was paranoid. I tried using a mirror, but felt like it distracted me even more. It was months before I felt relaxed riding again.

The second time the pickup hit me at 50-55 mph. I broke my leg and my back. After a week in the hospital and a spine fusion, it was five months before I was okayed to ride outdoors again. I wasn't sure I would be able to. I went out with one friend, held my breath a little, and had a great ride. Why the different emotional reaction the second time? I don't know. But five months later I had spent some time processing, grieving, and feeling lucky that I hadn't died. I had spent some time thinking about why I love riding, and what it means to me. Maybe that was enough to put it behind me and start me looking up the road.

Feel better. And don't rush to decide anything. Discovering how you feel about this might be more important than what you ultimately decide about riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Open letter to Dev (and others) why do you continue to cycle after a life altering crash? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to sound macho, but it’s not a fear thing. It’s more a Spock thing. I now view the risk/reward equation differently and at age 59, I no longer think the risk is worth the reward.

Thanks for your reply.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
Not to sound macho, but it’s not a fear thing. It’s more a Spock thing. I now view the risk/reward equation differently and at age 59, I no longer think the risk is worth the reward.

Thanks for your reply.

Hate this for you. I have no idea what I would do.

The least ryisk thing for me would be to quit NOW and buy Zwift or go back to a spin class with some live company.

Age 64 - I would still rather be riding, swimming and running outside rather than inside. The enjoyment won't be worth the risk if I have a major event like yours. Then I would probably be heading entirely indoors for everything - like I did when I was working full time and training before sunrise at an LA Fitness.

Part of the risk/reward equation is emotional rather than rational. There are people who won't or try to avoid flying. Nothing wrong with going with your gut feeling though because our gut, as much as our brain, controls our nerves.

Would you suggest to others that they stop riding outdoors?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:

Thanks for your reply.
Yeah but it's not a Spock thing. The equation hasn't changed. Your chance of crashing is no different than it was before your crash, assuming you get to a point where you're physically able again.

What has changed is your feeling about that risk. Even if the risk is incredibly small -- which I think applies to getting hit by a deer, your sense of self preservation has been threatened and statistics will probably not alter what's in your gut.

Like I said, I think your position is completely understandable. Getting hit by a deer blows away a lot of the common sense precautions (e.g. bike-only trails) that would normally protect us from vehicles. The risks we take every day are personal choices and you need to choose what's best for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, it should be fun and make sense and if it doesn’t, then more power to you if it don’t. Makes complete sense to me...

Was thinking about an analogy: you fall in love and get married and she turns out to not be what you thought and it ends in a horrible divorce. Whether or not you do it again has to be a function of how much you like women and being married (yes I know you can have one without the other)....

The answer for you probably becomes clearer with time...leave yourself (mentally) the option....you may find you like riding too much (so to speak) and eventually go back...

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Riding outside is my therapy. I would give up cycling if my only option was to ride inside.

I fractured my femur neck in a bike crash 1,5 years ago (solo accident due to slippery road conditions during torrential rain). I was riding outdoors again after about 10 weeks. Today I am back at about the same level on the bike as before the crash. Unfortunately my run is severely affected so no triathlons yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took a pretty good spill Memorial Day weekend last year, and have mentioned it a few times on ST in the past. I was not able to run or bike for about two months after the crash. I was finally able to do some jogging and trainer riding after that but I realized something was wrong with my shoulder and had surgery to repair that about 4.5 months ago. I have not been able to swim since the crash. I have been able to do some light running and trainer riding for the last month.

I am seeing the surgeon again on Monday and I expect him to lift the restriction on me riding outside. I am interested to see how I'm mentally able to handle it once I'm out there. Normally I'm not an apprehensive type person but I also don't normally spend about a year recovering from something. I'm pretty sure the first time I'm back on the road I'm going to be thinking a lot about what happened the last time I was out there. How can I not? Hopefully, that feeling goes away after a few rides.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every injury I have had in my life has been on a bicycle. Luckily, none of them have been major and to this day, I have not broken a bone. I am 46 years old. I came close when I hit a tree dead on at high speed on the mountain bike 2 years ago. I swore I broke my ribs, but x-rays said no.

I hit a big boulder when riding a rock section on mountain bike and when I went down, I was heading towards a pile of boulders. Somehow, I superman dove in the air and missed them all. I still do not know how.

Long story short, I have altered where I ride and how I ride. I realize that I get no more enjoyment if I rode the sketchy sections of a trail, or if I skip them. However, some things- like this deer, is just bad luck. Odds are, you will never hit a deer again on your bicycle in your lifetime. If that is any positive information that helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Firstly, I'll state I've not had such a massive crash myslef. So maybe my view will change if it was to ever happen. And you may say 'what so you know if its not happened to you'. A fair comment maybe.

I have had a lesser injury (due to the combo of crash on the mtb, followed later by a kayaking incident which rammed home the previous one, resulting in damage to my neck, not being able to move my hand for a while, and 6 months off cycling, kayaking and most other sports, plus another 6 months to get to 'as right as can be' (there's some residual damage but a tiny fraction of what you and others have to endure).

I l come from a background of participating in other 'assumed risk' sports prior to triathlon - skydiving, white water kayaking, as well as mountain biking. In those, particularly the 1st, if you're in and around it long enough, even when 'sensible', you will sooner or later see someone killed, and have it happen to a friend. And if not 'cautious' and respectful of the sport and its dangers, it WILL be you that gets it, no doubt.

So the same question of 'why continue to do it' applies I believe.

I believe that the answer is that doing it, is (like triathlon can be / is for many on this forum), a large part of 'who we are'. Certainly the friendships from those sporting communities are those that have lasted most of my life, even when folks are scattered across the country, and / or even further afield.

I don't do any of the sports 'recklessly' (I wouldn't have excceded half a century on the planet if I did). But it doesn't stop me either, whilst being well aware of the potential risks, some of which I can control and some I cannot. E.g. I'm not base jumping at night, I don't use crap kit when its safety related, I'm not biking world cup downhill race course as they are well beyond my abilities, etc). On the road bike I take lesser roads etc to reduce exposure to fast cars, big trucks / routes I perceive as dodgy. If foul weather or windy I take the mtb as its slower / heavier / routes without trucks to be blown under. I wind my neck in when out on my own or riding offroad at night. Those things of course do not eliminate risk, they only reduce it.

But I, and friends who have either been significantly injured, or have lost friends and even close family / loved ones, still choose to do these sports for (a) the enjoyment of doing them, (b) the life long friendhips formed, and (c) 'it's because it is a big part of just 'who we are'.

I wouldn't benthe same person without the sports I do. Neither would many friends since student days. I do them in the full knowedge that there are risks with each of them, but also I recognise that they GIVE me a lot too.

Without being trivial, there's a 1000 different ways our lives may end, and at some point end they definitely will. Riding a push bike on the road is only a lowly ranked one of them.

I hope you heal well.
Quote Reply
Re: Open letter to Dev (and others) why do you continue to cycle after a life altering crash? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To IT,

No, I would not suggest others not ride outside. I loved it. That’s why I was out there 1.5 hours before sunrise. Like many on ST, I was, and still am, addicted to exercise.

I just don’t think I care to continue to roll the dice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Firstly, let me say I'm sorry to hear about your accident, that sounds like a brutal experience. I'd think that being left alone there for 40mins was just as bad as the pain from the crash itself.

As for "why do you go back?", for me it is a question of odds. You can get knocked over by a car crossing the road at a crosswalk, so why do I still cross roads? Now, sure, cycling is optional, but cycling outdoors with appropriate precautions isn't exactly base jumping. There can be accidents, but the odds are low and even lower if you take steps to mitigate things. Hit by a deer jumping out of the brush, there isnt much you can do about that. But, like that guy who had an owl fly into his front wheel, you probably aren't going to get that happening again. So if you enjoy riding outside, you go back. Of course, you might find that you don't enjoy it any more and that the accident left a mental scar. In that case, welcome to Zwift/ Rouvy/ Sufferfest/ etc.

Heal well and good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been hit by two cars in the last 3 years, and one close call requiring me to wipeout. It seems every spring/early summer the past 3 years I have had an incident. Seeing how much damage you sustained crashing at 21 mph makes me feel extremely lucky to have only gotten lacerations and no broken bones in my crashes. My recent one (last July) was the worst. I was traveling 28 mph during a small local race, only to have an individual turn right in front of me. It sent me supermanning right off the bike. But as others have said, the bike is just pure bliss outside. Couldn't go without it.
Quote Reply
Re: Open letter to Dev (and others) why do you continue to cycle after a life altering crash? [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. As strange as it may seem, my good friend hit a deer on the same trail 13 years ago. Suncoast trail north of Tampa. Before dawn you often see them. So why was I hauling ass well before sunrise? Because nine weeks ago I felt invincible. Now? Not so much. Thanks all for your responses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you go back and get the deer?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2015 I was injured in a crash during a race. Not as bad as yours or Dev's, but broken collarbone, AC separation, 7 ribs and a punctured lung. Hospital for a week, out of work for a month. was 48 at the time.

I recall a few weeks out feeling exactly the same, and reaching out to some tri friends. The advice I got was that it was still early, but I might not ever get back to believing that riding outside would be worth it.

4 years and 2 ironmans and several other races later, I can't say I feel invincible and I still am fairly cautious, but that's probably a good thing. I ride zwift during the week because i enjoy it, it's safer, and just easier to get a good workout in. Otherwise, on the weekends I am out riding on the roads.

It will come back or it doesn't , but there's no judgment in that. Each has to be comfortable in their own skin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 2011 I was as fit as I had been in years (and maybe as I'll ever be, now 58 y/o). Cycling outside, rushing to get to some hill intervals (imagine!) I was on a busy street with a moderate shoulder and hauling a$$. As my Polar watch later revealed, I was doing about 25 MPH when I hit the hole that was produced by a partial repaving around a manhole. I remember seeing the new drop into the manhole and then waking up to tell the paramedic that, no, I couldn't remember my name. Well, my left forearm was pretty well shattered and exposed. Surgery later that afternoon used a couple of plates and 14 screws. I still have 'em all. Once the acute phase was over, I was asking when I could ride again. I mean, c'mon, I've got plates and screws holding my arm together - probably stronger than the original that Mother Nature provided! I didn't get clearance to ride or run for some time (docs worried about a fall and re-injury), but I didn't really obey. Running on the treadmill right after, the trainer after that, running outside within a week or so and riding outside the day after the bandages came off. I'm a bad patient. Returning to the road was no big deal - I had ridden many 10's of thousands of miles before that incident over many years - there's your statistics. It's true that I mostly train indoors now, but that's a function of time management and training efficiency. I'm looking forward to a less hectic lifestyle someday when I can return to 100 mile days on the road. I still do some club rides, fondo-like stuff and race on open courses. I never worry about crashing/hurting myself. Maybe it will happen. Maybe not. But the benefits/fun/fitness/social aspects of the outdoor rides/races trumps my calculus on the dangers. Here's the *real* danger - not riding, getting overweight (all my parents/ parents-in-law, spouse), having trouble getting around, corticosteroids to enable everyday mobility, risking multiple general anesthesia surgeries and infections to get new knees/hips/backs (3 knees, 2 hips, 2 backs among my three living parents/parents-in -laws). I've been told over and over that that running will ruin my knees. Got eight awesome miles in on Sunday, two with my best running partner, an 18 mo old Portuguese Water Dog. Do the benefits outweigh the risks? Yup, for me, no question. Same today as the moment before I whacked that damn hole in the pavement...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
To IT,
No, I would not suggest others not ride outside. I loved it. That’s why I was out there 1.5 hours before sunrise. Like many on ST, I was, and still am, addicted to exercise.
I just don’t think I care to continue to roll the dice.

I'm definitely addicted to exercise and while riding outside is somewhat enjoyable, I've never felt it was anything close to "pure bliss" like another poster stated. I personally enjoy swimming the most, running 2nd, and biking 3rd. I've never had as bad a bike accident as yours but I have had 4 crashes that put me in the hospital. I kept riding after all of them but at the end of 2012, I finally switched from SBR to just SR. I just enjoy S and R more and get all the training I need from these two. There are lots of running races and Masters swim meets around, plus the swimrun events, so these events are enough for me.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll let you know when I get back out on the road. Still working in saddle time on the kickr, I went 8 months without riding my bike outside. I think total riding until February was like 5 or 6 Spin classes in the fall.

When I road outside, especially when you start to get away from the city and go fast there is a specific kind of freedom to it. Kind of like swimming in the ocean.

I think if I couldn't ride outside eventually I'd probably just quit triathlon. First triathlon back is in April, so I'll tell you how my anxiety holds up.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of us have a reasonably big ego (some are better at hiding it than others). Once we become competent at something, we believe we can handle any situation. When that belief is broken, we start to loose our nerve.

Unfortunately for you, once the deer launched at you, there wasn't anything you could have done. Other than riding on the path in dark, you didn't do anything wrong. So how you do convince your sub-conscious that you have everything under control?

I came into Triathlons from Motorbike riding. Still regularly ride the motorbike, but no longer do track days. On the race track you are trying the push the motorbike as close to the limit as you dare. Mick Doohan is quoted as saying 'If you crash, you're going too hard, if you don't crash you're not going hard enough'. So crashing is definitely part of the equation and insurance does not cover crashes on a race track, so it hurts the wallet as well as the body. Big part of getting back on the motorbike after a crash was understanding what went wrong. Lesson learnt the hard way, won't do that again, and away you went.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted once already, but I had some other thoughts.

A long time cycling friend and I always try and pass one another on mountain bike when we ride. Years ago, there was a downhill section that we would crush and I passed him at full speed over 30mph. We were inches from one another, but we trust one another as cyclists and we don’t feel unsafe when riding aggressively with one another. Well, on lap 2 of that ride I went for the pass again. This time, I washed out on the downhill and I went down. Computer showed 34.9 mph. Luckily it was on dirt.

With that same friend, he was sprinting next to me as the trail was getting narrower and he just wouldn’t give up. As the trail narrowed and he couldn’t get around me, he was in the weeds and brush and he hit something and went down. No clue what the full speed sprint was, but it was pretty darn fast.

I witnessed in a group sprint, a cyclist near me went down when he lost his chain. I showed 28mph on my computer. His bike went up in the air and flew past me what seemed like inches. He broke his collar bone, although I am surprised not more.

High speed crashes happen. It isn’t the speed that causes the crash and frankly I know friends that have gotten hurt worse riding slow. What happened to you, while devastating, isn’t anything you could control. You can’t alter anything about your choices or how you ride.

I have hit a deer in my car before and it happens fast. Nothing you can do.

Please don’t give up a sport you love.
Quote Reply
Re: Open letter to Dev (and others) why do you continue to cycle after a life altering crash? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't answer for myself, but to put the case of a friend of mine, who crashed and broke his neck several years ago.
An inch one way, and he'd have walked away without a problem and not even noticed other than, shit, that was a bad crash.
An inch the other way, and he'd never have walked again. As it was, he had several months of rehab, additional surgeries, all of that.

He came back with a focus in seeing what was possible to do - and is back racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:

Dev,

First off, I am a long time Dev fan and I have enjoyed reading your posts over the years. I have learned a lot from you and you are always a gentleman.

I recall several years ago you had a very bad cycling accident while racing somewhere in Europe (I believe Switzerland). I read with interest about your very long journey back. While I hope I am wrong, I suspect you never fully recovered from your injuries. Despite this, you still bike. In fact, you recently posted you hope to cycle 10,000 kilometers in 2019. My question is why? Knowing that if you continue to bike, you will crash again, why do you continue?

Sorry I was busy at work yesterday and did not get on ST (yes its possible LOL).

First of all sorry about your crash. I believe when we sign up for riding this is the "risk/reward" we sign up. I've been riding since 1980 reasonably seriously. I have had a number of crashes in the category of "falls"....nothing major, just sore body and road rash for several days. I would say when I was younger and more risk taking there were more often. I would say after my son was born (1996), my goal was to never let my body touch the pavement and ride 10,000km per year.

In 39 years of riding I had three "bad crashes"

1. 2005, I van pulled out on a turn to pass a slower moving car did not see me and pushed the accelerator hard, It was very surprising and I had no where to go but "up". In other words, wherether I swerved left or right it was going to be head on metal on body. Luckily I had my military show vaulting skills from my college years and jumped with my bike as high as I could just to try to clear the van. In any case, my upper body actually cleared the roof, my knees with bike attached hit the hood, I rolled over the top of the van and "planted" a landing on my feet. Gymnastics coach would have been really proud that all those vaulting and jumping and landing skills were used in real life in an emergency. My knees and quads were all bruised and cut but that was "it'. Bike was snapped in half
  2. 2011, IM Switzerland bad, crash, head first into a brick house on the size of the road at 37 kph...no time to react...head injuries, neck, broken bone in face, pelvis, psoas, knee, ankle injuries ranging from broken bones to bad soft tissue stuff (the latter ended up being the worst beyond the TBI). This was my only crash ever in 31 Ironmans and probably 200 other tris.
  3. 2018. After 2011, largely recovered for swim and bike but running was impaired around 10% in speed across all distances, but you work with what you have. Due to complications from 2011 in my pelvis and spine, ended up in 2015 with complications in the spine and disc rupture that affected and continues to affect my ability to walk, jog and bike. However in 2018 in the spring I was able to start riding again which was freedom from my indoor training routine of weights, swim, rowing machine. I hit the worst bad luck of my riding life in June and hit a piece of disintegrating sidewalk concrete, bounced into the curb, off the curb into traffic (cyclists worst nightmare) and had my entire right arm and foot run over by a school bus. This was only 1.5 km from home. I know this road well. I have probably ridden this strip 1000 times. I would say this "crash" was my only real "pilot error" crash, but who the heck expect to come over a hill and have a piece of concrete 3 inches high, and 1 foot by 6 inches wide right in the bike shoulder/lane. Looking back, I would not have a lot of space to react to my left without going into traffic and to the right, it MAY have been possible, but I likely was not "enough on the right" to swerve to avoid this.

In any case, you can look at the above and say, "why even bother riding". I looked like this last June 22nd

By Sep, when I went for my RMC 30th reunion, I was able to get out for my first real rides on the open road with an old classmate.

I was nervous on the road, but riding with an old buddy. Back in my air force days we used to talk about getting the pilot back into the cockpit as fast as possible after they ejected and came down with a parachute. The theory was in the old male macho days was that the longer we waited, we would let self doubt creep into to his/her mindset. Now we know this approach can backfire. I think there is a right time for "everything", I had done a few tests close to home, but nothing like riding 60K ending up really far from the starting point...back home I was doing short 2K loops testing my brain and becoming comfortable with the pavement and traffic. But by the end of the fall, riding was feeling "normal again". I even did some bike commutes to the pool, moving the bike up to a utilitarian transport mode.

When I look back over 40ish years, I've ridden over 300,000km....only three accidents, and the funny thing is that when I was much more risk taking in my youth NOTHING HAPPENED.

In any case is a very personal question and I have no good answer other than, "you know that feeling you first got when your dad let you take off the training wheels and you just took off down the street". Before I raced triathlon, I used my bike to explore the world with my tent and sleeping bag across 15 countries. It was only in 2006, when we got a second car, other than that I bike commuted all year all the time in Canadian winter too. Its an extension of who I am, why I exist, and what adds joy to my life.

WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE ANYWAY.....HOW DO I WANT TO LIVE ALONG THE WAY

During the last 2 years I discovered that I really enjoy swimming all 4 strokes. I'm racing masters swimming for the first time in my life. I am loving the process of becoming "a real swimmer". I am focused on the events most lifetime swimmers no longer want to race in their 50's....200 fly and 400IM. I intend to do that till I die. I am bad at it relative to real swimmers, but now when I go to a pool, people just think I am a "real swimmer" so I am getting 'good' relative to the general population. So I am set doing this new sport. I don't need to do biking because I love to race tris. I am not sure what took my so long to discover real swimming. Now it's like oxygen...I need it to live, just like biking used to be...and before that running.

I am ready to never really run again. My running legs have taken more than 10 lifetimes of other people all over the world exploring cool stuff on foot during my travels. They owe me nothing.

In terms of biking, the bike owes me nothing...bike toured all around the world, a zillion IM's, racing Kona, but most importantly I bagged all the mountains I would want to do in a lifetime (for me): Ventoux, Stelvio, Gavia, Alpe d'Huez, Galibier (the list is long....). But even though the bike owes me nothing, I feel I owe the bike something. It's like a friend who gave you so much, he does not deserve to be ignored.

So when I came out from under that bus and I was lying in pain in bed, from time to time, I'd see my bike "ignored" with no one to ride them and take them to cool places and I said, "just be patient, let's go back to the summit of Galibier or Stelvio...I can do it".

OK, I missed my 30 min shuffle attempt for 100/100 trying to type it, but you have my psychology in this post. I guess its about living life with "WHAT CAN I DO"...vs "WHAT CAN'T BE DONE". It's cheesy, but Messick's slogan, "anything is possible" comes to mind.

There is a parallel story in my professional life that goes with the bus running over me. I stated (www.bluwave-ai.com) in 2017 and I was just in the middle of our first bigger fundraise....no customers signed up, no product shipped yet, no revenue it.....just a bunch of smart guys with a proto trying to raise capital and sign up customers. So I did and closed that pre seed round fundraise, while hobbling around in pain, closed a bunch of customers, got first product in their hands and turned on revenues. We're just in the term sheet phase of our second fundraise now that should close by May, and I am hoping I can take 10 days off this summer and get back to France to ride Galibier and along the way, get back to bike commuting to work.

I ask because recently I had a bad crash and I am all but certain I am done cycling outdoors. I am just not willing to take the chance of crashing again.

I am 59 and have been lifting, running, cycling, and swimming my whole life. Until my accident, I was in excellent shape. While not fast by ST standards, I completed a full IM each year from 2007 through 2017 (11 starts, 11 finishes).

Then eight weeks ago things changed in a hurry.

On January 13th (as bad luck would have it), I was riding alone on a closed path an hour before sunrise (I had two big lights). Less than 1.5 miles into my ride I hit a deer while I was going 21 mph (thank Garmin for the data). The deer must have jumped out of the brush. When I first saw it, the deer’s head was about two feet from mine. I literally could have touched the deer’s eye. I can still see it clearly. I had no time to do anything. I went down hard and couldn’t get up no matter how hard I tried. So I just laid there waiting for help. I did not have my cellphone. One of the many dumb things I did that morning.

After 30 to 40 minutes, a runner found me. It was still pitch black. Unfortunately, he too didn’t have a phone, so he had to run back to his car to call an ambulance.

Fast forward, to the hospital. I broke 11 bones – three fractured vertebrae (one a compression fracture), six ribs (three displaced), scapula and glenoid (glenoid is the socket of the ball-and-socket shoulder joint, not sure if it’s part of the scapula). The glenoid had to be put back together with three plates and screws. I was in the hospital eight days.

Eight weeks later I am still in a lot of pain and I can barely move the arm connected to my injured shoulder. Between my shoulder and my compression fracture, there is very little I can do.

I can’t swim, lift, run, or even ride a stationary bike. The good news is, I am getting better every day and can do the elliptical trainer (which I hate) and use a kickboard with fins in the pool.

I would be interested to hearing from you (Dev) and others who had bad crashes. Knowing the risks, why do you continue to ride outdoors.

While I did some dumb things that morning, no matter how careful you are, you can crash. I guess that’s why they call them accidents.

Please don’t ask about the deer. I have no idea what happened to it.

Quote Reply

Prev Next