Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Open letter to 3T / Gerard Vroomen regarding the Strada Due
Quote | Reply
On July 3rd 3T sent an e-mail to 3T newsletter subscribers announcing the new 3T Strada Due (essentially a Strada with a FD mount slapped on):

[The full e-mail can be viewed HERE as a PDF]

I subsequently send an e-mail to 3T to give my thoughts and ask for comment. After nearly two months without response (despite a follow-up from me), I thought I'd post the e-mail here to get feedback form the ST community (and possibly from 3T):

Gerard Vroomen / 3T,

I have a Strada. I love the bike. I shouldn't care, but in an odd way I'm disappointed by the announcement of the Due. The Due goes against the 1x DNA of the Strada. It's like you're taking a step back, or compromising, just because the "market" isn't "ready" for 1x. You describe the development of the Due as though it was the natural evolution of the Strada ("Phase Three"), but I find it very hard to believe you intended to have a 2x Strada at the time you announced the Strada. "Let's take a 1x optimized frame and slap a FD on it for Phase Three." Yeah, right. Following are your two primary arguments for the Due and my respective rebuttals:

Argument #1
You state that "having [an] extra gear can be an advantage," but how is that the case? Once the 3T 9-32 cassettes are available (the wait has been very frustrating btw. I'm still waiting for the Overdrive to be available), how will 2x provide any advantage? Let's look at two examples:

Customer A: Not very fit and slightly overweight. Wants a top of the line bike with lots of gearing so she can comfortably crest the the hills on the local group ride.
- Option 1: 2x: Compact (52/36) with an 11-30
- Option 2: 1x with 38T up front and a 9-32 cassette
These purchase options provide near-identical gearing at the high end (32.4 vs. 32.1 gear inches, respectively) and at the low end both options will get you above 40MPH at 120RPM. While you'd theoretically get a bit more with the 2x setup, why would you even bother pedaling above 40mph?

Customer B: MOP Wattie Ink triathlete that thinks he needs to run a 54/39 because that's what Sebastian Kienle does.
- Option 1: Shimano DA Di2: 54/39 rings with an 11-28
- Option 2: 1x with a 42T up front and a 9-32 cassette
These purchase options provide near-identical gearing at the low end (127.6 vs. 126.0 gear inches, respectively) and at the high end the 1x build actually gives you a bit more (37.6 vs. 35.2 gear inches)

Argument #2
You're second point is that the Strata isn't optimized for electronic drivetrains. I don't understand how this is relevant as you can run the Strada setup with a XTR Di2 clutched RD or one of the newly-announced clutched Ultegra Di2 RDs. I suppose this argument applies if you want to run Campy, but who in their right mind runs Campy? And has anyone ever actually said to you "I love the Strada but want to run Campy"?, I doubt it.

I guess if you want to ride up and down Monte Zoncolan all day and want to be able to pedal when you're above 40mph, there's a place for 2x, but otherwise, I don't see it. Why didn't you instead invest in a campaign to show how there is no benefit to a 2x setup in any realistic scenario? Help me out here.

Last edited by: davews09: Sep 5, 18 18:48
Quote Reply
Re: Open letter to 3T / Gerard Vroomen regarding the Strada Due [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sour grapes...

You can't fix stupid ..
Quote Reply
Re: Open letter to 3T / Gerard Vroomen regarding the Strada Due [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First Anne Hed and now Gerard Vroomen?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest if I was 3T I wouldn't have replied to you either. You didn't ask a specific question for them to respond to, and your feedback isn't really groundbreaking. They built one bike for one market (which you're clearly part of) and then they decided to modify the bike to reach other markets. Just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone. That's why the industry makes so many different bike styles.

For instance, I have a disc road bike and love it, but there are plenty of people that would argue against them. It would be like me emailing BMC and telling them all the reasons they should stop making the Teammachine in rim brake, then being pissed when they don't email me back.
Quote Reply
Re: Open letter to 3T / Gerard Vroomen regarding the Strada Due [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd agree with you if 3T had designed a new bike that was 2x, but they didn't. They slapped a FD on a 1x specific frame.

ttusomeone wrote:
For instance, I have a disc road bike and love it, but there are plenty of people that would argue against them. It would be like me emailing BMC and telling them all the reasons they should stop making the Teammachine in rim brake, then being pissed when they don't email me back.

More analogous to the Due -- what if BMC announced a new Timemachine that changed nothing about the existing bike, but they eliminated the existing brakes with a plastic inlay and installed disc-brake mounts on the fork and rear chainstay. Wouldn't you find that odd and cause for question?
Quote Reply
Re: Open letter to 3T / Gerard Vroomen regarding the Strada Due [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

No kidding. The dude has too much free time on his hands.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Open letter to 3T / Gerard Vroomen regarding the Strada Due [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
trail wrote:

Actually, I finally found a slice of time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
I'd agree with you if 3T had designed a new bike that was 2x, but they didn't. They slapped a FD on a 1x specific frame.

So?? Does the FD work? then what's the difference?

davews09 wrote:
More analogous to the Due -- what if BMC announced a new Timemachine that changed nothing about the existing bike, but they eliminated the existing brakes with a plastic inlay and installed disc-brake mounts on the fork and rear chainstay. Wouldn't you find that odd and cause for question?

Not really. That's pretty much what QR did with the PRSix disc. I don't find it odd and cause for question, and it takes nothing away from the rim brake version.

Bottom line, if you like your bike, then why do you get upset if the company makes a slightly different version of the bike to appeal to a different buyer? They aren't making you change anything that you like about your machine.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sue them.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:
trail wrote:

Actually, I finally found a slice of time.

Much better bike. Ride Cannondale.

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I'm not sure why you expected a reply, there isn't really a question or customer service-related concern. Did you expect GĂ©rard himsepf to reply and say "OMG you're so right, I'm so stupid! Due to your criticism of our business decision which in no way actually affected you, we have recalled and destroyed all the Due frames we ever made, sorry!"

Haha. In serious tone now, I get what you're saying and not trying to offend, the strada is on the top of my dream road bike wish list and love what its all about. I was surprised to see the Due, but its existence doesn't take away from the strada itself. They just want to have the bike reach a wider market. Can't really fault em for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a bit funny. Why would they respond to what you wrote? Moreover, why would you think they would respond? Lastly, why would you then post here? None of that makes a whole lot of sense to me.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Open letter to 3T / Gerard Vroomen regarding the Strada Due [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its evident this is his world and we are all privileged to be living in it.
Quote Reply
Re: Open letter to 3T / Gerard Vroomen regarding the Strada Due [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Sue them.

Yes!!! This is America and that’s what we do!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I'd like us to go back to 3x...1x is dumb as hell.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FTFY:

davews09 wrote:

Jimmy Dean/ Jimmy Dean Sausage,

I have a large family. I love your sausage. I shouldn't care, but in an odd way I'm disappointed by the announcement of the 2/3 pound packaging. The 2/3lb goes against the DNA of the American sausage. It's like you're taking a step back, or compromising, just because the "market" isn't "ready" for a full pound of tasty sausage. You describe the development of the 2/3lb package as though it was the natural evolution of the full pounder ("Phase Three"), but I find it very hard to believe you intended to have a 2/3lb at the time you announced the full pounder with maple. "Let's take a full pound of sausage and take out 1/3 of it for Phase Three." Yeah, right. Following are your two primary arguments for the 2/3lb package and my respective rebuttals:

Argument #1
You state that "having [an] extra product offering can be an advantage," but how is that the case? Once the pounder packs with maple are available (the wait has been very frustrating btw. I'm still waiting for the sausages with sage to be available), how will 2/3lb provide any advantage? Let's look at two examples:

Customer A: Not very fit and slightly overweight. Wants a top of the line sausage with lots of taste so they can comfortably feed the the family at the annual group breakfast.
- Option 1: 2/3 pound of sausage
- Option 2: full pound of sausage
These purchase options provide near-identical sausage at the high end (1/3 pound more, respectively) and at the low end one option won't feed a family. While you'd theoretically get a bit more with buying two 2/3lb packages, why would you even bother?

Customer B: MOP Wattie Ink triathlete that thinks he needs 2/3lb packs of sausage because they're a wussy.
- Option 1: 2/3lb of sausage
These purchase options provide near-identical enjoyment (the wuss triathlete can just save the extra 1/3lb, respectively) and at the high end the full pound actually gives you a bit more (1/3lb to be exact)

Argument #2
You're second point is that the sausage isn't optimized for modern families. I don't understand how this is relevant as you can buy the full pound package with a whole 1/3 pound leftover for a snack. I suppose this argument applies if you want to be a skinny wuss, but who in their right mind wants less? And has anyone ever actually said to you "I love the sausage but want less of it"?, I doubt it.

I guess if you want to ride up and down to Walmart all day buying more wussy 2/3 pound packages of sausage and want to be un-American, there's a place for 2/3lb packages, but otherwise, I don't see it. Why didn't you instead invest in a campaign to show how there is no benefit to 2/3lb packages in any realistic scenario of feeding a growing family? Help me out here.
Quote Reply
Re: Open letter to 3T / Gerard Vroomen regarding the Strada Due [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
FTFY:

davews09 wrote:

I have a large family. I love your sausage. I shouldn't care, but in an odd way I'm disappointed by the announcement of the 2/3 pound packaging. The 2/3lb goes against the DNA of the American sausage. It's like you're taking a step back, or compromising, just because the "market" isn't "ready" for a full pound of tasty sausage. You describe the development of the 2/3lb package as though it was the natural evolution of the full pounder ("Phase Three"), but I find it very hard to believe you intended to have a 2/3lb at the time you announced the full pounder with maple. "Let's take a full pound of sausage and take out 1/3 of it for Phase Three." Yeah, right. Following are your two primary arguments for the 2/3lb package and my respective rebuttals:

Argument #1
You state that "having [an] extra product offering can be an advantage," but how is that the case? Once the pounder packs with maple are available (the wait has been very frustrating btw. I'm still waiting for the sausages with sage to be available), how will 2/3lb provide any advantage? Let's look at two examples:

Customer A: Not very fit and slightly overweight. Wants a top of the line sausage with lots of taste so they can comfortably feed the the family at the annual group breakfast.
These purchase options provide near-identical sausage at the high end (1/3 pound more, respectively) and at the low end one option won't feed a family. While you'd theoretically get a bit more with buying two 2/3lb packages, why would you even bother?

Customer B: MOP Wattie Ink triathlete that thinks he needs 2/3lb packs of sausage because they're a wussy.
These purchase options provide near-identical enjoyment (the wuss triathlete can just save the extra 1/3lb, respectively) and at the high end the full pound actually gives you a bit more (1/3lb to be exact)

Argument #2
You're second point is that the sausage isn't optimized for modern families. I don't understand how this is relevant as you can buy the full pound package with a whole 1/3 pound leftover for a snack. I suppose this argument applies if you want to be a skinny wuss, but who in their right mind wants less? And has anyone ever actually said to you "I love the sausage but want less of it"?, I doubt it.

I guess if you want to ride up and down to Walmart all day buying more wussy 2/3 pound packages of sausage and want to be un-American, there's a place for 2/3lb packages, but otherwise, I don't see it. Why didn't you instead invest in a campaign to show how there is no benefit to 2/3lb packages in any realistic scenario of feeding a growing family? Help me out here.

Bravo...bravo!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Open letter to 3T / Gerard Vroomen regarding the Strada Due [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now, that is funny.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
FTFY:

davews09 wrote:

Argument #1

Argument #2

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want 2 lbs of sausage. Now I have to buy 3packs instead of 2.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Sep 6, 18 11:55
Quote Reply