Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ontario Triathletes: Something must be done about Guelph Lake
Quote | Reply
The Guelph Lake I and II triathlon events are some of the most successful ones in Southwestern Ontario and the GTA. The Olympic race today was very well attended and a good time was had by all. And that is good.

However: I'm convinced that one of these days somebody is going to get killed in that race. The out-and-back on Wellington RR29 is a deathtrap; you basically have people riding two abreast (one passing, one being passed) both ways on a two lane highway also occupied by some of the most impatient drivers around. Today I was coming down a gentle downhill at 55km/h, passing somebody, and a jackass pickup driver with a large trailer insisted on weaving his way by me and the person in the opposite direction also passing somebody. And things like this happen every time I do that race. I understand somebody did in fact get run of their bike today, but fortunately was able to finish the race, and the driver was later found and charged.

Add to this the state of Watson Rd, which gets worse every year and which the county obviously has no interest in improving - coming back today I hit the first crack and both my saddle and aerobar decided to angle themselves downward - and you have one hot mess of a bike course.

And before you say: let your wallet do the talking and don't race there, two things: one, this was a qualification race for the duathlon worlds in 2019, and two, I like having events in my neck of the woods and racing close to home. What I think should happen is that Wellington County improves Watson Rd, and that the OPP does a better job policing RR29. If that can't be done Trisport Canada should look into another bike course.

I'll put all this in an email to Trisport Canada as well. If you raced Guelph Lake today, or are planning to race the sprint tomorrow, and have the same experience, please do the same.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Ontario Triathletes: Something must be done about Guelph Lake [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK hopefully things get sorted out. I did not race this weekend. I raced there this weekend in 1990, so my feedback would be 28 years too late!
Quote Reply
Re: Ontario Triathletes: Something must be done about Guelph Lake [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is good to be proactive.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was rather scary hitting 50kmph+ and passing loads of people and then seeing cars coming head on passing cyclists in the other side.

That said it’s the same every year? And the road is always terrible but I think this year was the worst, I had to death grip the aerobars in some sections.

I’m torn, if they close the road it’s surely way more expensive and does that mean no race? You can forget the road quality issue as there is nothing they can do.

Regardless, I’ll send an email aswell Richard, maybe something actually happens. I saw a guy down, looks like it was a truck with a trailer behind it... cops were there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Guelph Lake 2 last year and this is the exact reason I won't be doing either this season. Seems like they've gotten lazy with this because it's always so well attended. Best thing we can do is not show up until the safety and conditions improve.
Quote Reply