Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Only winner at 2018 Barkley.....
Quote | Reply
....Was the Barkley itself.

Twenty folks started loop 2 (half the 40-person field).

I think only 5 people started Loop 3. Only one finished loop 3, but too late to continue to loop 4.

"The quality of the runners this year was obvious because they failed faster." - Laz
Quote Reply
Re: Only winner at 2018 Barkley..... [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was 3 loop 3 starters with on Gary finishing with a fun run.

Saturday's weather was atrocious with fog, snow, sleet, ice, rain and lightening - especially the overnight loop. Yesterday's weather wasn't too bad but by then too much damage had been done and too much time lost against the cutoffs.
Quote Reply
Re: Only winner at 2018 Barkley..... [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure 5. One came back with no pages pretty quickly, one came back with one page,also relatively soon, I am not sure what Johan got or how long he was out,

then much later Gary with the Fun Run finish (but over the 36 hrs that would allow him to continue)

Then Guillame who was over 40 hrs, and I'm not sure how many pages he got either. I guess I assumed most of them?

For sure, the weather was not ideal. I went up to the lookout tower, sweating and wishing I hadn't worn as much clothing as I had on, could see all the way to the bottom of Rat Jaw.

Eight damn minutes later, visibility was down to 30 feet, wind up 30mph, temp down 20 degrees, and rain.

And that rain - although wasn't heavy most of the day, it had to wear the runners down (I was crewing, not running). Later at night there was some solid heavy sustained rain. I thought it really sucked, and I was able to hide out in heated vehicles, unlike the poor morons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll definitely go with your account. I was merely refreshing Twitter every 0.67 seconds all weekend for any new info. It was very stressful with the gang of 5 that were out there so long with no word on loop 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gary Robbins goes home DEVASTATED

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Only winner at 2018 Barkley..... [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Gary Robbins goes home DEVASTATED

I was really hoping he'd make it this year.. Amazing guy and athlete, deserves a finish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does the book/pages thing work?

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Only winner at 2018 Barkley..... [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:

Kind of like a timing mat, to prove you did the course by hitting checkpoints. You take your numbered page from the book and return it at the end of the loop to prove you hit all checkpoints
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:

Dude...you need to watch the documentary on Netflix. Absolutely insane race. Kudos to anyone who even attempts this beast.
Quote Reply
Re: Only winner at 2018 Barkley..... [treyedr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like it is no longer on Netflix. But the official site is here: http://barkleymovie.com/

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
correct...no longer on Netflix. It is on Amazon Prime....
Quote Reply
Re: Only winner at 2018 Barkley..... [TrekRider68] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am most likely too old to every apply or try it.....would like to find myself in that area some day to take a picture by the yellow gate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a beautifully cruel race. You have to have extraordinary navigation skills to find the books (to tear out your page) day and, especially night, when you're tired, cold and sleep-deprived. Kudos to those that make it through even a couple of loops.
Quote Reply
Re: Only winner at 2018 Barkley..... [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

For a bit of an inside look at this years race.
Quote Reply
Re: Only winner at 2018 Barkley..... [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude great video..... The way they hide the books in the middle of a forest is just insane. Love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TeamBarenaked wrote:

Then Guillame who was over 40 hrs, and I'm not sure how many pages he got either. I guess I assumed most of them?

I think I heard this guy (I misspelled his name initially, I am not even going to try to do it this time) got all his pages on loop 3, was 2 miles from camp, fog rolled in (at night), and he got lost, taking him nearly 8 hours to find his way back to camp.

Such is the Barkley.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twitter went crazy during the weekend - Barkley posts everywhere
Runners are not permitted to use GPS, no mentions of participant list allowed prior to race, only a few know how and when registration opens
Books titled "6 seconds", climbs named rats jaw and testicle spectacle just make for an amazing endurance event
Success rate=single digit - rate even lower with no finishers this year ( 5% i think)
Last edited by: Last-offtheBike: Mar 29, 18 7:18
Quote Reply
Re: Only winner at 2018 Barkley..... [Last-offtheBike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
less than 2%

there have been 18 finishes, by 15 men (no female finishers)

the race was started in 1986, and the first finish occurred in the 1995 race

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Re: Only winner at 2018 Barkley..... [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting that...very interesting. I've watched the movie on Netflix, but this was really good from a racer's perspective. I can't imagine trying to navigate those woods at night in the fog....totally nuts.