Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Online training plan for FOP
Quote | Reply
I've been doing Ironman and 70.3 races for 10 years - 7 Ironmans, around 18-ish 70.3s. I have qualified for Kona once and 70.3 Worlds multiple times. In any M-Dot race I will be in the top 3-10 in M35-39 depending on who shows up. For most of this time I have had a coach, who is an awesome person and who I have been very happy with.

However, I am finding that while I like my coach, it feels a bit like "overkill" at this point. I am a very internally motivated person, so having a coach isn't really a factor in training plan compliance. I very rarely have questions for my coach, and when I do it's pretty rare that I don't already know the answer. The real value for me is more just that I have a training plan that's written by someone I trust and that's based on my work and family schedule. FWIW, when training for an Ironman my average weekly volume for the 24 weeks prior to the race has been 13-14 hours, with a peak of around 20 hours. I almost never miss a workout.

That being said, there are only so many ways to swim, bike, and run a butt-ton and I know in reality that what I am getting is probably not all that different from an OTS online training plan that I can just adjust myself based on my schedule. So I am considering stopping working with a coach. My goal is to get back to Kona, and I honestly feel like spending a few hundred bucks a month on a coach isn't getting me any closer to that. We've talked about it and my coach's honest opinion is that I probably can't absorb much more training than I am already doing (while staying married and employed) and that KQ-ing at this point is more a factor of who else shows up - I have accepted that while I certainly have room to improve, I will likely never be one of those guys who can reliably KQ at every race I start.

So that leaves me with three options:

1) Ask my coach if I can just pay $300-ish for a fire-and-forget 24-week plan. My only concern with this is that it would be somehow professionally insulting to my coach.

2) Use a TrainingPeaks or TrainerRoad plan. For those who have used one of their plans to successfully KQ (or get close), which plan did you use and did you make modifications to it?

3) Write my own plan from scratch. I really do not like this option because it will suck up time that would be better spent on training and/or recovery and likely no better than an OTS plan.

What say the ST hive mind?
Last edited by: UrsusMaximus: Dec 1, 18 4:58
Quote Reply
Re: Online training plan for FOP [UrsusMaximus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have the history of planned workouts in TrainingPeaks or somewhere else? Could you just repeat those?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you don't know enough to coach yourself at this point, your previous coach has been doing it wrong.

i'd go with #3. you shouldn't be training right now anyway (if you live in northern hemisphere) so you have plenty of time to come up with a rough outline of a plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Set it and forget it works, to a point. If you like your coach and think they can help, then maybe a quarterly consultation to help guide plan selection, general training goals would be good, and review and adjust. Maybe they help you pick 2.

2. These are great IF you choose the right plan for you. If you don’t know what you need to work on, then this is where coaching consultation, physiology testing, etc can help guide.

3. When you know what you need to work on, and you don’t want to do 2 or the plan YOU need isn’t available, then you can/will do this. Do you need it written in fine detail or are general outlines sufficient?

Currently doing some of all of the above for cycling...but I am coming off the couch, so slightly different situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd take a look at the Trainerroad plans. You will know enough with your experience if it'll work for you, as well as whether it'll work 'enough' so you can modify the run/swims to make it work. Can't beat the price - pretty much 'free' for all distances as long as you're paying the monthly rate.

I'm not as FOP as you but I've been happy thus far following the plan for the most part but modifying it when I need to to adjust to my level. I like having the set weekly structure to look forward to - I actually find that I'm doing most of the off season plans as is right now - I tend to overdo it in the offseason so having recommended workouts helps so I don't blow myself up before the real season begins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Professional insults aside, do you think your coach would be able to set workouts 24 weeks in advance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had good results using pre built plans from different sources and tweeking them to work for me.

I regularly use TrainerRoad for riding although haven't really used the triathlon plans. I've tended to follow the cycling based plans and work other training around those.

Most often for running I've used Pfitzinger run plans from Advanced Marathoning or Faster Road Racing adapted to fit in around the riding, taking the key sessions from those and riding in place of the general aerobic runs. Swimming tends to take care of itself with a couple of Master sessions and a couple of solo swims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend recycling one of your builds and adjusting it as needed on a weekly, bi-weekly basis depending on work, family, etc... If you fall on your face then I am sure your coach will be available. The problem with not having a coach, for me, is accountability though. It's easy to skip a workout when nobody is watching. You sound pretty motivated so if that isn't an issue you should have enough knowledge at this point to have a great build.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Matt Dixon book "Fast Track Triathlete" has a 14 week Ironman plan and 14 week 70.3 plan that are well designed and a fraction of the cost of other off the shelf plans.
Quote Reply