Quote | Reply
New Zealand

----------------------------------------
I ride a Cervelo...get over it....
Quote Reply
Re: One year to train: Where would you go? [YFLMITITW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm.

I think that I would go Feb-Feb in NZ for IMNZ. Yes, that would be it. (more variety than Oct-Oct in Hawaii)

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: One year to train: Where would you go? [bigskyTi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So NZ is the majority so far... I was hoping somebody would chime in for Boulder etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If costs are no worry then I would head to tucson for the winter. Ride flats or mountains, run trails and swim outdoors everyday. After that I might spend some of the season in Boulder or even in the mountains of NC. Or I'd make my way across the globe to somewhere else that has very,very mild winters and awesome springs. Then depending upon where you are doing most of your racing, I'd head to some city in that area like Boulder, or Boise or Bend for the summer/fall.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Nov 15, 06 7:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calendar year? Race season year? Can you travel to race or are you stuck where you are the entire time?

I would do it this way:

Nov - Feb 28 New Zealand or Brisbane, AUS

Mar - May California (split between NorCal and SoCal--SF/Vineman country and Xantusia and a few forays to No. County SD)

Late May Brasil to race IMB

June - Aug France (staying at Pyrnees Multisport--hi Ian and Julie) with some time spent over in Portugal

Sept-Oct Kona

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boulder's great (I'm in Denver), but if I have a full year to do nothing but train, I'm not sure if I'd go to Boulder. I'd be more adventurous - simply because I train in Boulder now. It's definitely a great place to train, but I'd head to NZ, Brazil or AUS before staying in Boulder (assuming price is not a problem).

----------------------------------------------------------
Existence precedes Essence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two Words: New Zealand

The entire country is a giant training zone. Added bonus of having some great locally made wine!!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Nov 15, 06 7:48
Quote Reply
Re: One year to train: Where would you go? [rodio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Price is essentially not something I'm factoring into this equation, mainly because want to discern what people's different consensuses are for different places...

anyhow ironclm - it would be race year I suppose - Oct to Oct
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oct to Oct, and if I had to stay in one place, I'd likely stay in California since you'd hit the winter in NZ.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: One year to train: Where would you go? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on DD! Where's the love for the 602/480?

One year huh? from today? One racing season? From the 1st of the year?

I'd say my top three
#1. Hawaii
#2. Boulder
#3. Santa Barbara

Never been to Hawaii, but I hear its real nice. That kinda puts Boulder at the top of my list.

Where to live? Table Mesa area. Best riding a nd running in Boulder from your doorstep. Real quiet place with all amenities in walking distance.

Where To swim? Flatirons Athletic Club. With a year round outdoor pool (backstroke at night durring a snow storm) and the best triathletes around. (Dave and the gang) Rally Sport has a smaller pool (still outdoors and plenty nice), but better hours and better coaching with Dave and Grant and Wes.

Biking you say? Winter needs the proper gear but for the most part you'll be outside. Durring the spring and summer you just cant beat riding in Boulder. I personally like riding in the cold. Great tiem to be alone, log some huge miles and build mental toughness. I did 4-500 a week in Jan and Feb.

Running's the best. From Table mesa you have FHS track and the challenging, mostly grass XC course. Add a perfect 1 mile loop around the lake and you have the best interval and strength training area in the country. Down the raod you have the CU xc course and tons of dead flat groomed trails. Go the ohter direction and you'll be in the best of the Boulder Mts in under 8 mins of running.

Boulder kicks ass.
Quote Reply
Re: One year to train: Where would you go? [LaWoof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright - given that NZ is a looong way away - Boulder is stacking up on top for me so far, especially with the breakdown of the training ground possibilities in Boulder, thanks Lawoof
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing a lot of people who've never been to CO don't realize is that the winter is not very cold at all. There's usually a couple of 4 or 5 day cold snaps that take place at some point over the winter, but overall it's pretty temperate. I ran a lot over the winter, and I probably ran as many days in shorts as I did in leggings.

Plus, it's ALWAYS sunny. Which is nice, especially since I moved here from Boston (no sun for months throughout the winter).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What will you be doing other than training? That could help in the decision on where you go.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And thats just the tip of the iceburg. THere's endless training in and around Boulder.

One of the greatest things about Boulder is that once you get "in" with the right crowd, you'll have a training partner almost all the time. It's one of the unique things about the place. Any given day at any given time you'll have people to ride, run or swim with. Not jsut slow pokes, but WC's, IM pros, olympic runners, legends, women, men whatever.

While out training, I've run/rode with the likes of Tyler Hamilton, basiclly all the best american triathletes, many of the best triathletes in the world, RUnners like Adam Goucher, and Alan culpepper, kenyan teams, Japan womens teams, All of it.

If you're not working, the people and the community are just priceless. Sure there are great place to train, maybe even better than Boulder, but there is NO PLACE that has the people that Boulder has.

If you do go, send me a PM and I'll give you some #'s and people to contact. You'll be set up in no time.
Quote Reply
Re: One year to train: Where would you go? [rodio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've trained in both (NZ and currently live in Boulder) and would have to say that over the course of a year, I'd pick Boulder.

The weather is more predictable and like Rodio said, while there might be a couple of cold snaps, it is a great excuse to head to the mountains for some snowshoeing or take in a spin class etc. The cold snaps don't tend to last too long and if you have a cyclo-X bike or a MTB, apart from the day of the storm, you can hit the roads the day after.

Bottom line: So much variety for the endurance athlete (I live about 8mi south of town and can run on trails from my doorstep into town).

Regards,

Alan

trigeek76@triathlontrainingsurvey.net
http://www.triathlontrainingsurvey.net
Fill out my training survey to receive a copy of how Slowtwitchers really train
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would agree with your list. The weather in Boulder (other than yesterdays wind) is nice, the scenery is good and you are at a gateway to so much. You have great company as you pointed out and facilities.

Hawaii would be high on my list because the weather is so constant and I like that mid 80 - low 90 range and the vibe is cool there too. Maybe NS oahu or big island

So Cal would be good too, I think many of the same things as Boulder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I vote, Northern Michigan or Onterio.

Buy lots of toys (computrainer, endless pool ect..)

There is nothing else to do all winter but train your ass of. come spring you can get out and go. Open water swimming in the big lakes.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've got me sold LaWoof.

I will most likely be doing a remote-computer work deal while there,

Boulder seems to fill all of:

- people to train with
- facilities to train with
- environment
- and I think the mainly underestimated fact of any decision would definitely be the people for sure, I think if there really is a good vibe of high-level athletes in Boulder that could easily bring on improvements long-term - you won't be comparing yourself to the local billy-bob but to true greats!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can name another place in the world where it's not unreasonable to bump into more than one multiple Kona winners in a single day, I'd be surprised.

I doubt there's another place in the world where you can bump into multiple Kona winners AND long distance olympians AND TdF riders.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
France. Join a club. Learn the language.
Quote Reply
Re: One year to train: Where would you go? [5 Sticker Rides] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My choices,

San Diego, a great weather choice, some amazing bike trails and bike races together with world class competition.

New Zealand, an amazing country with amazing athletes. Top of North Island has very mild climate but is somewhat isolated. South Island can get downright cold.

Nice, France. You have some great riding nearby plus the Med for swimming. Antibes is not too far for about the only sand beach.

Boulder has a good reputation but it can get damn cold for us desert types.
Quote Reply
Re: One year to train: Where would you go? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If costs are no worry then I would head to tucson for the winter. Ride flats or mountains, run trails and swim outdoors everyday. After that I might spend some of the season in Boulder or even in the mountains of NC. Or I'd make my way across the globe to somewhere else that has very,very mild winters and awesome springs. Then depending upon where you are doing most of your racing, I'd head to some city in that area like Boulder, or Boise or Bend for the summer/fall." <br> <br>After the winter, head to Mammoth. YOu can chose your altitude from 4000 to 9000. Mammoth is 7500-8000, 4000 is 30 minutes or less to the south. All kinds of terrain. There is a reason Deana Kastor (?sp?) is there. <br>

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Last edited by: docfuel: Nov 15, 06 10:55
Quote Reply
Re: One year to train: Where would you go? [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great - these all definitely help give me a sense of what's out there.

Although from this forum focus group along I would have to say Boulder is taking the cake,
Quote Reply
Re: One year to train: Where would you go? [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would choose Pittsburgh. The reasons are very simple.
1.) The populace is very young,vibrant, and healthy
2.) It is always sunny. I can't remember a cloudy day
3.) The roads are smooth and pothole free.
4.) There are no hills
5.) And Iron City beer will be made for years and it's taste puts Guiness to shame.
Quote Reply

Prev Next