Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

One day USAT rate
Quote | Reply
I havent done a one day USAT in a while, just did one for my wife. has it been 15 dollars for a while? my goodness and people wonder why they cant get local sprints to be popular anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: One day USAT rate [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Yes, it's been $15 for several years now
2. If you plan on racing 3x in a year, the annual membership is a better value
3. The cost of a USAT 1-day membership is a completely separate issue than the number of people signing up for a local sprint.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blainyboy8 wrote:
I havent done a one day USAT in a while, just did one for my wife. has it been 15 dollars for a while? my goodness and people wonder why they cant get local sprints to be popular anymore.

Sounds about right on the price. When I do sprint races, I normally round up as many friends and family as I can. I've heard lots of excuses, but registration fee to someone who is doing one a year is not one of them.
Quote Reply
Re: One day USAT rate [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I somewhat disagree. Race is 60 dollars, which seems like a decent price for a sprint triathlon. add in another 25 for active and usat fees and it starts adding up, again for a sprint tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you. It may not be the reason people balk at a triathlon but sprints go for $90+ here after fees...then the license pushes it over $100. They can just do a 5k or 10k for $30 and be done with their fitness event. Or the actual fun OCRs for $70ish.
Quote Reply
Re: One day USAT rate [cassinonorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cassinonorth wrote:
I'm with you. It may not be the reason people balk at a triathlon but sprints go for $90+ here after fees...then the license pushes it over $100. They can just do a 5k or 10k for $30 and be done with their fitness event. Or the actual fun OCRs for $70ish.

+3 here. Rich people don't understand
Quote Reply
Re: One day USAT rate [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

...The cost of a USAT 1-day membership is a completely separate issue than the number of people signing up for a local sprint.

Go back 35 years, when local triathlons flourished, more popular than they are now, and were about $20, attracted several hundred athletes per race, and a signed waver was all that was needed. Then Trifed came to town. Entry fees doubled over night, and they added $10 one day memberships. They were lucky to get 50 people to sign up. Participation dwindled, and in 3 years, triathlons were dead in our area for 12 years, until a new generation reintroduced them. They still have a hard time getting 50 folks per local race, and the sport is just a shadow of what it used to be here. Having witnessed it first hand, and hanging on until the last race of our original tri scene, I can say, at least back then, the cost imposed by greedy organizations, including the one day membership, was indeed a direct correlation to the number of people signing up for a race. Dive bomb the local 5K community with double the entry costs and a $15 additional insurance fee, and see what happens.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Mar 9, 20 10:33
Quote Reply