Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

One bike, my only bike
Quote | Reply
Hi ST'ers!

Long time lurker, occasional poster, big-time Classifieds user here.

This is the final build-up of my only bike (i think), which I'll use for road and Tri. Thanks to ST and friends for your help and suggestions.

Acquired from ST Classifieds:
- 2009 Cervelo S3, 51 cm frame, std seatpost, fork
- Cervelo 2-position position seatpost
- Oval Concepts s-bend carbon bars
- Bonty aero botte and cage
- Xlab between the clip-on bars water bottle mount
- Dark Speedworks bento box
- Aerus Biospeed bike transport soft sided bag
- PD Aerodrink (not in use, straw slows me down)

Ideas I've gleaned from ST and actually implemented:
- Never use a rear mount hydration system
- Slowman's ST article: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...Get_Shorty__435.html
Oval Concepts clip-on SCCS system (with adjustable stem) for road bikes. I bought and installed the exact set-up that Slowman discussed. Works perfect for me.
- That a majority of AG'ers aren't suited for an aggressive position on Tri bikes (me) and should be on a road bike (me) http://www.slowtwitch.com/...or_tweener__647.html
- Race setup: Zipp FC 808's work great when paired with Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX 320 tpi clinchers with vittoria latex tubes/removable core and Vittoria valve extenders. I'll give credit to JackMott for this set-up.
- Training setup (as pictured): FC808, Michelin butyl tubes, Zipp extenders, Hutchinson Intensive tires.

Other details:
- Full Dura Ace DI2, clip-on bars can easily be removed and the electronic bar end shifters unplugged for road races (this was my set-up for Battenkill)
- DI2 battery relocated to non-driveside chainstay to allow use of a aero bottle in main triangle
- DI2 wiring routed internally through downtube, externally along chainstay to RD
- 11-27 DA Cassette
- 165 mm 50/34 compact 7850 DA Cranks
- Ceramic BB
- Garmin 310XT mount on stem (head unit not in pic)
- Look Keo Carbon pedals
- Swisstop yellow brake pads
- I always have the red flashing taillight when training.
- Lazer Tardiz aero helmet (not shown)
- Specialized Road shoes with BOA (not shown, Fletch's recommendation)
- I love the "Forte" (Performance brand) Tri saddle so much that I have 2 (in case they stop making them.)
- Small "Transit" (Performance brand) seat bag, containing butyl tube, tire lever, CO2 and inflator head, small multitool.

I'm NOT a hard core racer, more of a avid recreational enthusiast type. But I did enjoy building this bad boy myself, including the DI2 wiring.

Thanks again ST for helping me with my bike build choices.[/img]
Last edited by: LabRat625: Jun 17, 11 13:20
Quote Reply
Re: One bike, my only bike [LabRat625] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LabRat625 wrote:
Hi ST'ers!

Ideas I've gleaned from ST and actually implemented:
- Never use a rear mount hydration system

Not never, just don't have a jungle gym of crap back there, and if you do it keep it tucked up close to your ass or horizontally like Lieto does.

Quote:
- That a majority of AG'ers aren't suited for an aggressive position on Tri bikes (me) and should be on a road bike (me)

I think its more that they don't bother to get in an aggressive position than that they aren't suited for it.

Quote:
- Race setup: Zipp FC 808's work great when paired with Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX 320 tpi clinchers with vittoria latex tubes/removable core and Vittoria valve extenders. I'll give credit to JackMott for this set-up.

disc cover! :)

hell the wheels/tires/tubes alone will have you on faster equipment than 90% of the people at races

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like you put a lot of thought into everything...

Bike looks awesome... now you need to add an SRM into the mix :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't realize it was as simple as unplugging di2 bar end shifter wiring to pull the aero bars off. Cool tip and definately handy for the type of setup you are riding.
Quote Reply
Re: One bike, my only bike [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
Looks like you put a lot of thought into everything...

Bike looks awesome... now you need to add an SRM into the mix :)

SRM *and* powertap to keep an eye on those drivetrain losses...lol

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: One bike, my only bike [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seat's to high..

J/K.. nice ride
Quote Reply
Re: One bike, my only bike [slimfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep... unplug the DI2 connectors, tuck in the excess wiring under the stem.

Also, to slacken the geometry, I switch out the seatpost with a zero offset seatpost with the exact same saddle model already attached. I don't have to remember seatpost fore/aft position.

Conversion from "tri" bike to road bike takes a few minutes.
Last edited by: LabRat625: Jun 17, 11 16:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet bike!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure it's functional, but the bento box ruins the look for me - especially on a small/compact frame. It makes it look cluttered and gimicky.
Other than that (which is only my worthless opinion) the bike is fantastic. This may be the best and most sense worthy adaption I have seen for road/tri bike. The ability to shift via STI or aero bar is genius via the Di2.
Enjoy the ride!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet setup! I run something similar with a TitanFlex Transition. Di2 would be nice to clean up the wires up front.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: One bike, my only bike [Sully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sully wrote:
I'm sure it's functional, but the bento box ruins the look for me - especially on a small/compact frame. It makes it look cluttered and gimicky.
Other than that (which is only my worthless opinion) the bike is fantastic. This may be the best and most sense worthy adaption I have seen for road/tri bike.
The ability to shift via STI or aero bar is genius via the Di2.
Enjoy the ride!

Agreed - how cool is it that it's now that easy to swap back and forth?

I'll disagree on how the aero bento looks - it fills that void behind the stem *perfectly*

OK - so what goes in the aero bento box, if not your flat kit? That's what mine's for.
I tuck the spare tube up under the saddle (and also a micro mini pump on the other side - you almost can't see either unless you look closely), and then use the DSW bento for the inflator, spare CO2, levers, patches, etc.

Very nicely done. Great work.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sully wrote:
Other than that (which is only my worthless opinion) the bike is fantastic. This may be the best and most sense worthy adaption I have seen for road/tri bike. The ability to shift via STI or aero bar is genius via the Di2.
Enjoy the ride!

x2.

Don't like the bento box, esp since you've got the saddle bag already. How much crap do you really need to carry?

The di2 implementation is awesome. Best reason I've seen to go di2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sully wrote:
Enjoy the ride!

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which wheel and tire setup for Bkill? What cat are you?

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Re: One bike, my only bike [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
OK - so what goes in the aero bento box, if not your flat kit? That's what mine's for.

It can't fit a whole lot, but it's long and slender... perfect for a Vittoria Pit Stop OR Hutchinson Fast Air and a couple of gels.
Last edited by: LabRat625: Jun 17, 11 15:41
Quote Reply
Re: One bike, my only bike [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Which wheel and tire setup for Bkill? What cat are you?

Shimano DA Road Tubeless with Hutchinson Intensive Tubeless tires. In case of flat (hasn't happened yet) the plan was/is to use the Hutch Fast Air, backed up with a butyl inner tube/CO2.
I'm a short, fat, SLOW Cat 5.
Last edited by: LabRat625: Jun 17, 11 16:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really nice looking cervelo. Not a big fan of cervelo, only because it seems everyone has one. But I do like yours.

Re: One bike, my only bike [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
disc cover! :)
I have a Zipp FC 404 clincher set on order. Should I get a disc cover for the 404 or 808?
I'm leaning towards a cover for the 404 R
My reasoning: a covered 404 or 808 will have the same net aero effect. Why not try to keep the weight down?

My wheel options would then be:
Uncovered 404 F and R -everyday general riding/hilly/windy
808 F and R -aero/mild wind
808 R and 404 F -aero/high wind
Disc covered 404 rear, 808 front -extreme aero/mild or no wind

I can make rear wheel (808 or 404 disc covered) decisions immediately prior to race based on conditions.

I sound like I am a force to be reckoned with on the bike... I'm really not, I'm BOP. I just have a lot of fun with this $hit. And the wife lets me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool- I have that wheelset but rarely use it, and never used it w/ tubeless. The plan is to try it out @ Cone Azalia, Washtenaw, etc next season.

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LabRat625 wrote:
yep... unplug the DI2 connectors, tuck in the excess wiring under the stem.

Also, to slacken the geometry, I switch out the seatpost with a zero offset seatpost with the exact same saddle model already attached. I don't have to remember seatpost fore/aft position.

Conversion from "tri" bike to road bike takes a few minutes.

Zero offset seat post? I've been looking for one, where did you get yours? Also, how did you manage to get the bento box flush with the stem? Don't the cable housings get in the way?
Quote Reply
Re: One bike, my only bike [jzm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's an '09 S3 with two ICS2 ports through the top tube, which I did not use since I routed the DI2 wiring via the port opening in the downtube. I think you can't do that on 2010 S3's or newer. (side ports were discontinued.)

I re-looked at my seatpost. It's more like a slight rear off-set post vs. a zero-offset post. Sorry to get you all excited about a zero off-set :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a big fan of the "less is more" approach when it comes to bike builds, but everything you've got on there is at least well thought out and functional.

well done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LabRat625 wrote:
It's an '09 S3 with two ICS2 ports through the top tube, which I did not use since I routed the DI2 wiring via the port opening in the downtube. I think you can't do that on 2010 S3's or newer. (side ports were discontinued.)

I re-looked at my seatpost. It's more like a slight rear off-set post vs. a zero-offset post. Sorry to get you all excited about a zero off-set :)

Darn, I thought you had come across a zero-offset post. :( I have a 09 S3 too and my bento box is useless now with those cables running through the top-tube. Thanks for the reply.
Last edited by: jzm: Jun 24, 11 22:15
Quote Reply