Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

One More Long Ride? #IMMOO
Quote | Reply
Ironman Wisconsin is in 18 days. My schedule has me doing a 4 hour ride/1 hour run this weekend. The taper officially starts on Sunday. I wanted to get one more 100 mile ride in before the two week taper. I have had a good cycle season but I never got a 100 miler in. Recommendations and or thoughts?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: One More Long Ride? #IMMOO [Triharder1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ride faster

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it at this point. If you want to turn it into a 100 miler, fine, but you'd probably be better off doing the 4 hr ride then still being able to hit some intensity the next week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triharder1 wrote:
Ironman Wisconsin is in 18 days. My schedule has me doing a 4 hour ride/1 hour run this weekend. The taper officially starts on Sunday. I wanted to get one more 100 mile ride in before the two week taper. I have had a good cycle season but I never got a 100 miler in. Recommendations and or thoughts?

Thanks!

I'm doing the same race, and my training plan is somewhat in line with yours. Saturday I'm doing a 4hr ride, with an option to go up to 5hr. But, I'm not going to go up to 5hr. Why? I've been training for a year for this race, is one more hour going to make my race? No, but it can certainly break my race because of over training.

If it were me, I wouldn't push it in your shoes this close to the race.

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for it. If possible, try to plan your route for 100 miles but with a plan b that gets you back at 4 hrs if you are feeling too fatigued or the weather is too hot or your spouse is getting perturbed with your absence.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: One More Long Ride? #IMMOO [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The Heat Index has been 103 and has hindered my training slightly. Looking for those Midwest 70's temps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make it a very early morning, low intensity (zone 1) ride for 5 hours. I do not think that will do any harm or cause overtraining,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waaaayyyyy too close to race day. Bag it and enjoy sliding into race day rested and ready to go. Your body will not benefit at all from any long rides that close to race day. It's a mental thing far more than any physiological help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triharder1 wrote:

Thanks!

What was your longest ride this year?
Quote Reply
Re: One More Long Ride? #IMMOO [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
93 Miles 3 weeks ago. I have had 3 with very high elevation gains over the course of the training. 2 weeks ago, 45 miles and 4500 ft.

Just thought maybe one more long long would give me some mental confidence more than anything.

nickwisconsin wrote:
Triharder1 wrote:

Thanks!

What was your longest ride this year?
Quote Reply
Re: One More Long Ride? #IMMOO [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I think I'm gonna go with the 4/1 this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just take it easy then and realize you benefitted a lot from the extra stress of your hot weather rides. Heat is often said to add 5% or more to training effect. This close to the race one can only screw up their race, so spend the most time and energy recovering and topping off glycogen. Far less volume and still some shorter harder efforts will be your friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m doing Wisconsin as well. BTW, why is it IMMOO, not IMWI?

I think 2 weekend taper is minimum, previously I did even 3. I’d vote for shorter version.
Quote Reply
Re: One More Long Ride? #IMMOO [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cows? I've never heard it called IMMOO either

There are definitely cows on the bike course though. Emus too

Gone with the wind

Quote Reply
Re: One More Long Ride? #IMMOO [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
Cows? I've never heard it called IMMOO either

There are definitely cows on the bike course though. Emus too

Yes, cows. It's been IMMOO basically since the inception.

Also, while we're on the subject... no one should ever call it Ironman Wisconsin 70.3 either... its Milkman. Same is Ironman Santa Rosa... should be Vineman.
Quote Reply
Re: One More Long Ride? #IMMOO [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once upon a time Wisconsin was the largest dairy producer in the country until California took over.
Quote Reply
Re: One More Long Ride? #IMMOO [roubaixman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
roubaixman wrote:
Once upon a time Wisconsin was the largest dairy producer in the country until California took over.

Everyday I find another reason to hate California

Gone with the wind

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the best.....

https://www.ironman.com/...art-of-tapering.aspx

"The perfect taper is about four weeks in length. Yes, four weeks! It is slightly different for each of the three sports because of the difference in recovery time each one of them needs. Running takes the longest because of the impact. Cycling takes less time, but is still longer than what you will require for swimming.
"

I've found this to be very true.
Quote Reply
Re: One More Long Ride? #IMMOO [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent.

ggeiger wrote:
From the best.....

https://www.ironman.com/...art-of-tapering.aspx

"The perfect taper is about four weeks in length. Yes, four weeks! It is slightly different for each of the three sports because of the difference in recovery time each one of them needs. Running takes the longest because of the impact. Cycling takes less time, but is still longer than what you will require for swimming.
"

I've found this to be very true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's going to make much of a difference either way.

Personally I'd add miles onto the run rather than the bike, but you may not be looking for that much fatigue this close to race day. In that case I'd do what another poster said and slightly increase bike intensity but stick to 4 hours.

From my experience biking longer distances on race day than what you've done in training is far less risky than with running.
Quote Reply
Re: One More Long Ride? #IMMOO [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
Also, while we're on the subject... no one should ever call it Ironman Wisconsin 70.3 either... its Milkman. Same is Ironman Santa Rosa... should be Vineman.

Can we call Santa Rosa something more updated for the times like Junkman, Homelessman, Tackman, etc etc etc etc

Gone with the wind

Quote Reply