Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Once a bike racer … Part 2, Interview with Andy Coggan, Ph.D.
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Once a bike racer … Part 2, Interview with Andy Coggan, Ph.D. [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Once a bike racer … Part 2, Interview with Andy Coggan, Ph.D. [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Neal

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

I've followed a lot of his stuff on here in the past. As an average joe I think my takeaway quote was "Training by power isn’t appropriate. Power output is not constant riding or racing and if you’re fixated on trying to overly constrain your power output it’s less and less like racing. So I use training “with” power, not training “by” power."

I think that because I feel like that's where a ton of folks are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Once a bike racer … Part 2, Interview with Andy Coggan, Ph.D. [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Thanks.

I've followed a lot of his stuff on here in the past. As an average joe I think my takeaway quote was "Training by power isn’t appropriate. Power output is not constant riding or racing and if you’re fixated on trying to overly constrain your power output it’s less and less like racing. So I use training “with” power, not training “by” power."

I totally agree with this and think it applies to 'Training by GPS' for running as well. Every good training program will include interval and threshold workouts where you are very focused on a few numbers. But even in these cases the numbers should be used as a marker of progress and not as a driver of the effort. Every year at Kona you see athletes who have become slaves to numbers absolutely trash themselves on the bike and early on the run chasing numbers that are inappropriate for them when dealt with the conditions on the island.
Quote Reply
Re: Once a bike racer … Part 2, Interview with Andy Coggan, Ph.D. [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
Thanks.

I totally agree with this and think it applies to 'Training by GPS' for running as well. Every good training program will include interval and threshold workouts where you are very focused on a few numbers. But even in these cases the numbers should be used as a marker of progress and not as a driver of the effort. Every year at Kona you see athletes who have become slaves to numbers absolutely trash themselves on the bike and early on the run chasing numbers that are inappropriate for them when dealt with the conditions on the island.

Just yesterday I found myself being dumb and just making myself ride like I didn't need to. Z2 ride. Forgetting that my left only Stages doubles my weak leg that reads at 46%. 46% x 2 = 92%. 8% lower than my Quarq reads. But I was trying to force myself to the Quarq numbers. All I needed to do really was ride. I fall for the trap pretty often.
Quote Reply