Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: On-Going TrainerRoad problem with matching power [lbmxj560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lbmxj560 wrote:
Cookiebuilder wrote:
A ton of people have this problem including me. my kickr is 10 higher than my vectors my old vector were 25 differnt, my buddys power tap is 25 different .. but my kickr is a consistent 10 so no big deal my ftp on tr is based of the kickr. no need to have them match. don't do the power match stuff you have a trainer, test with it then train.

I just don't agree with this at all. Absolutely 100% ALWAYS use power match. If you don't all you've got is two expensive bike components that only work in limited circumstances (the trainer indoors and the power meter outdoors) telling you, potentially, different things.

The whole point of power match is so that the power you work at on the trainer is the same power that you work at outside. I have a smart trainer and a power meter and not once have I ever worked off the power given by the trainer, there is no point. I use my power meter to control the output of the trainer. That way I know that 250 watts inside is the same 250 watts when riding outside. I don't have to do any calculations to work out whether I need to add or subtract from my power for it to be accurate.

Power match is dead simple. Connect your power meter to trainer road. Connect the smart trainer to trainer road. Tell trainer road (in the settings) that you want trainer road to take the readings from the power meter and power match. Trainer road will then display the power from the power meter and adjust the trainer accordingly. Done.

Correct.

However, if using Pedals linked to TR via Bluetooth it only reads your left pedal and doubles it. So that can present accuracy issues as well. Need to connect via ANT+ to get the true power, left and right. Especially since most people have imbalance between legs. Mine is 54 left and 46 right. So my power is slightly inflated.
Last edited by: Pwraddr: Jan 13, 18 17:38
Quote Reply
Re: On-Going TrainerRoad problem with matching power [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm torn on Power match. My brief experiences with it have been bad because of the seemingly significant fluctuations in resistance that you don't get in ERG mode. I was doing 2 minute VO2 max intervals, riding at steady cadence and the power dropped 10% and stayed like that for 30s! then it over corrected and shoot way above target level (although this potentially is related to signal quality?). In short, it was a nightmare and I had to disable it, mid session. Even doing steady state work, I notice the fluctuations in resistance were quite noticeable compared to ERG mode.

I attempted to find the difference between the Flux and Vector 3s using DC rainmakers tool so I could hopefully use power match in manual mode but I didn't realise that disabling the power match, meant that the power recorded was still from your power meter. Either way, the information was useful. My 6 minute intervals were consistently around 3% higher on my Vectors compared to my Flux, which I guess is in the range for the trainer and drivetrain losses.
Quote Reply
Re: On-Going TrainerRoad problem with matching power [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey can you please call me and explain a little more I am new to this powermatch and I need some help. Do I have my power meter take over my wahoo kicker as well. Or leave the kickr set up regular and just set it up in trainer road. 4702760653 my name is jesse
Quote Reply

Prev Next