Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Olympic swimming trials, any fishes getting excited?
Quote | Reply
http://www.usaswimming.org/...1/psych%20sheets.pdf

Here are the psyche sheets for the upcoming trials, should be some really great races..Check out the 400IM numbers 22 and 77. These are two kids of former pro triathletes, both who were off the front swimmers. Hinshaw and Mackle were two of the fastest triathlete swimmers in the sport. In fact the Hinshaws were a family dynasty, with Brad holding the ironman swim record until Lars Jorgensen came along and broke it. Rob Mackel married one of the top women water women in the world, a lifeguard champion and lifelong surfer, whose father was one of the original California guys to pioneer Hawaii surfing in the 50's and 60's. Seems the apple does not fall far from the tree after all..

The Phelps/Lochte swims are going to be epic too. I would not bet one cent on either of them, as it is a coin flip in my mind. I think some are counting Phelps out since his absence to the highest levels of the sport, and Lochte's similar rise in his absence. But just looking at times, Phelps does not have to get any faster, just get back to where he was. The rest have to make jumps in PR's to compete at that level, but of course that is what trials are for, new PR's..
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic swimming trials, any fishes getting excited? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't wait!!!!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic swimming trials, any fishes getting excited? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sure am. A swimmer I used to coach when he was 10 is in the 100 Breast; that's exciting for me and I'm excited for him!

Last edited by: javelinguy: Jun 22, 12 13:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats Mickey Mackle? Geez how time flies. Wasn't Rob Mackle the biggest pro in terms of weight back then? I remember back in the USTS days there was always this one big guy coming out of the water first, followed by a bunch of skinny guys, and I always thought he'd get dropped on the bike and run, but surprisingly he was good in those as well.

Phelps/Lochte is going to be fun to watch. More interesting is who will make that 400 free relay in London. Besides Phelps and Adrian, who has the potential to go in the 47s to beat that young Aussie team?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly what I need to motivate myself to start killing myself in the pool again. So stoked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd watch out for Tyler Clary in that 400IM race...I may be a bit partial, as I work a lot of swim meets for FAST.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a girl who went to HS where I live and is a lifeguard during the summer at the Natatorium where I swim...Melanie McClure, 200 back. I think she's seeded around #75ish. It's not everyday you know of someone competing....

RunFAR Racing Services
http://www.Run-far.com
Team Cambridge
Hilltop Bicycle Repair
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic swimming trials, any fishes getting excited? [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDCali wrote:
I'd watch out for Tyler Clary in that 400IM race...I may be a bit partial, as I work a lot of swim meets for FAST.

very excited to see a new star rise, especially from the shadow of locte and phelps!

-Jason
Quote | Reply
Thats Mickey Mackle? Geez how time flies//

Ya, no kidding. Makes you think if these tiny kids got so good and are this old, what has happened to us!!

ANd back to the Hinshaws, i just checked out the 1500 and there are two more of them, different from the one in the 400IM. I remember there was Brad, Chris, and their sister Jennifer, all top swimmers and triathletes. I'm guessing it must be all their kids since they are from the same general area. Lot of proud parents for sure.

And SDCali, Tyler Clary is going to be tough this year, but he is going to have trouble in that 400IM i believe. Really sucks when the 2 best guys in the world just happen to be from your country. Any other passport and he makes 6 events, here he might make one. I think maybe 200fly for him..

Also looking through some of the records and Mary T. still has a couple in the fly from 1981. And he times from then might still medal today. Pretty amazing when you factor in the speed changes that have nothing to do with fitness that she was not privy too back then..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cant wait! some of our swimmers are going. The meet is so stacked its disgusting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whats the latest word on J. Evans?...Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic swimming trials, any fishes getting excited? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whats the latest word on J. Evans?.//

I have not heard a word, maybe Halfspeed has seen her around and has some info. I see her entered in her two events, the 400 and 800, but she is going to have to make some really big drops to be there with the pointy end. There are a lot of girls stacked up under 4;07, so looks like it will take maybe sub 4;03 to get on the team. She would have to go nearly as fast as her best back in the day, and she is now sitting on a 4;17 best this year. The 800 is not as stacked, but they only take two and there are several top swimmers there. If she got within 10 seconds of her old best time, she might have a shot, but there again it will be a huge drop from what she has done this year. Dara Torres has a lot better chance as she is at least going in top 8 i think.

And then you have Ervin, Moses, Hansen, all making comebacks. They are a lot closer than Janet, but will need huge performances to beat the current crop out there..
Last edited by: monty: Jun 22, 12 14:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
http://www.usaswimming.org/_Rainbow/Documents/1b4fd9a0-d758-4f36-ae1d-eee810189a81/psych%20sheets.pdf

Here are the psyche sheets for the upcoming trials, should be some really great races..Check out the 400IM numbers 22 and 77. These are two kids of former pro triathletes, both who were off the front swimmers. Hinshaw and Mackle were two of the fastest triathlete swimmers in the sport. In fact the Hinshaws were a family dynasty, with Brad holding the ironman swim record until Lars Jorgensen came along and broke it. Rob Mackel married one of the top women water women in the world, a lifeguard champion and lifelong surfer, whose father was one of the original California guys to pioneer Hawaii surfing in the 50's and 60's. Seems the apple does not fall far from the tree after all..

monty wrote:
...ANd back to the Hinshaws, i just checked out the 1500 and there are two more of them, different from the one in the 400IM. I remember there was Brad, Chris, and their sister Jennifer, all top swimmers and triathletes. I'm guessing it must be all their kids since they are from the same general area. Lot of proud parents for sure...

Wait, I thought it was all about hard work and training, and that genetics were overrated...
Last edited by: OneGoodLeg: Jun 22, 12 14:47
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic swimming trials, any fishes getting excited? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Among other things, it appears they inherited their parents work ethics as well as the rest of it too. All hard workers as i recall. And you know how i can tell, just look at the events they all qualified in, 400IM and 1500 free. You don't see many coasters in those events..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my best friend is doing the mens 50 free!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic swimming trials, any fishes getting excited? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are the trials? One location? Or more? Dive trials are right here at WKCAC. I may go down there tomorrow to watch in person.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic swimming trials, any fishes getting excited? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim trials are in Omaha.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So excited! New talent and some old. Amazing to see Lezak still in the mix. I remember him training for his first Olympics in the late 90s when he was at UCSB, during summers when I was in high school we would train with the college kids.

Love to see the span of age and experience in these pysch sheets. Thanks for the link.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been amusing to watch USA try to put a positive spin on a meet that got twice as many entries as hey were aiming to get with that set of qualifying times. Almost 200 on the psych sheet for the women's 200M backstroke, but at least there will be 'only' ten heats of men's 1500M at most.

I don't think Evans gets close. Successful comebacks tend to be more in the sprints to 200M, and not the longer stuff. Allison Schmidt is the heavy favorite for one of the 400M spots (spot #2 I'd tend to give to Chloe Sutton maybe one of the kids) the 800 is going to be really competitive as last year's WC bronze medalist Kate Ziegler seems to be shaking off her 2009-10 funk but will face a hard challenge from Sutton and senior level relative newcomers Katie Ledecky and Gillian Ryan. Contrary to what the announcers say, Ledecky isn't coming from nowhere- she was turning in some beastly scy times last fall and almost got a couple of 13-14 national age group records earlier this spring.

I'd like to see Anthony Ervin sneak onto the team. His head and heart seem in the sport right now, and I think he could have been a great one if he'd stuck with it first time around.

Natalie Coughlin's best shot at an individual swim might, oddly enough, be in the 100 fly where the second spot seems pretty open behind 2011 world champion Dana Vollmer. The 100 back is interesting, and Coughlin, Missy Franklin, Rachel Bootsma, and Elizabeth Pelton all seem capable of at least a 59- mid here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
http://www.usaswimming.org/_Rainbow/Documents/1b4fd9a0-d758-4f36-ae1d-eee810189a81/psych%20sheets.pdf

The Phelps/Lochte swims are going to be epic too. I would not bet one cent on either of them, as it is a coin flip in my mind. I think some are counting Phelps out since his absence to the highest levels of the sport, and Lochte's similar rise in his absence. But just looking at times, Phelps does not have to get any faster, just get back to where he was. The rest have to make jumps in PR's to compete at that level, but of course that is what trials are for, new PR's..

Ya, it is going to an exciting meet. The Phelps/Lochte match-ups will indeed be epic, and then of course there will be a few "outside smoke" guys who come out of obscurity to make the team.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic swimming trials, any fishes getting excited? [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been amusing to watch USA try to put a positive spin on a meet that got twice as many entries as hey were aiming to get with that set of qualifying times. Almost 200 on the psych sheet for the women's 200M backstroke, but at least there will be 'only' ten heats of men's 1500M at most. //

Ya it seems like way too many in most of the events. I can see some not swimming a few of them, i see Lochte is entered in the 100 breast even. Some of the really good guys have a couple they will scratch, but most there are going to swim for sure. This is the biggest thing in their careers up til now, olympic qualifier on their resumes. In my event the 400IM, 4;30 does seem a bit lax when you consider that is nearly a 1/2 minute from the world record. I do not really care how big the meet is, probably good experience for a lot of young guys to swim in such a big meet, and the big guns will get plenty of rest between all their events. Doesn't much matter come final time though, but it is going to be on hell of a long meet for sure..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember coaching at a zone meet several years ago. Adam hinshaw swam as a 10&under. It was rumored he swam up to 100,000 a week. It looks like he is still swimming fast.

Bruce
ALBOPADS XTERRAWETSUITS NEWTON OAKLEY FIZIK GARMIN ROTOR COMPUTRAINER QUARQ HONEYSTINGER
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic swimming trials, any fishes getting excited? [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i don't think Evans pulls it out either, but i also suspect her seed times are a bit short of what she will swim. She just needed trials cuts and I'm assuming she got them in the middle of swimming with no taper and no peaking.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic swimming trials, any fishes getting excited? [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think Evans expects to make the team based on what she has said in interviews. I do think Ervin will, possibly in both sprints. I saw him split a 19.0 taking 16 strokes.... Still baffled!
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic swimming trials, any fishes getting excited? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all legs....his kick combined with this rotation.....swimmers at that level can have ridiculous dps if they want
Quote Reply

Prev Next